1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

And your preaching style?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enjoyed reading. I taught homiletics for 4 years at Pillsbury Baptist College and I would have every young man read that one. The different styles is very informative and lots of material for novice preachers to consider.

(y) (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting article.

I have gone through many of those styles in terms of presenting a sermon. When I started preaching I wrestled with narrowing down a topic (I expound on the teachings of a single passage but often found myself getting too much in the weeds for a 40 minute sermon). The second method I used was a three point outline as it kept me on track. As time went by I'd switch between topical and focusing on a single passage, but wrestled with application. Lastly I preached as a teacher in a conversational style.

I found I enjoyed teaching more than preaching because it enabled more interaction (although I found teaching much more difficult and involved than preaching).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too late too read and respond tonight. Thanks for the article and I will digest and comment at a later date.

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt anyone here will be surprised that I find expository preaching to be the best method to truly teach your congregation and be the ambassador God calls you to be as a pastor. If you haven't seen Pipers "Look at the Book" teaching series, it's very much worth it.

Look at the Book

• Agree Agree x 1