1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Andersonville question

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by webdog, Apr 14, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Before you flame me, I have been through the archives and have read what most have said about them (from a mill, to a reputable school). I'm leaning towards them being closer to a mill, but after emailing them, here are the schools that they claim accept their credits...

Lindowood University accepted bachelor’s degree
    St. Charles, MO
    Bob Jones University accepted credits for at least 1 student
    Bethel Seminary West
    San Diego, CA
    American Christian College and Seminary
    Oklahoma City, OK
    accs.edu
    Liberty University accepted bachelor’s degree for entrance to Master of Arts in Min
    Lynchburg, VA and Master of Divinity (a number of students have reported)
    I have several students’ acceptance letters for verification. This
    school accepts our degrees, but not individual credits. In
    December, 2007, a student reported being accepted in the doctorate
    program at Liberty with 90 credit hours at the graduate level from
    Andersonville Theological Seminary.

Dallas Theological Seminary accepted credits for at least 1 student
    (reported by student, not verified)
    Trinity Theological Seminary
    Newburgh, IN accepted 9 hours toward the completion of a PhD
    Vision International accepted bachelor’s degree
    Ramona, CA required 30 credits of General Ed courses from
    secular college
    Lancaster Bible College
    Lancaster, PA accepted credits. Allowed student to complete general ed
    classes only by attending classes one day a week or totally
    online (student choice). This student was interested in a
    degree that would be recognized by the military for
    the chaplaincy. Lancaster meets the requirements for the
    Chaplain Candidate Program and is regionally accredited.

My question is... Liberty?!? Has either Liberty's standards declined, or has Andersonville's standards increased for them to accept the BA from Andersonville?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog Response

Webdog,

No one wants to "flame you!"

May I answer your question with a question? This seems especially relevant at this point. After doing all of the research on the BB, "why" would you lean towards a "mill degree" still?

"That is all!"

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you asking why I am leaning towards them being a degree mill...because I don't recall in my OP stating I was leaning towards attending Andersonville. If it's the former, my view of them being "millish" has to do with what I have read about their work simplicity and load. That is what is confusing me in regards to Liberty accepting their degree. Has Liberty's standards recently fallen, or has Andersonville's recently risen?

#3 webdog, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Not all UA schools are substandard. Whitefield theological seminary isn't, though they are on record of not seeking government accredition.

CES has on its site of their grads being accepted in accredited program. CES doesn't seem substandard to me.

LBU, though Liberty has accepted its credits and grads, I'll have to consider substandard but better than a Bethany and Andersonville.

Why Liberty accepts credits from LBU, I don't know? I know the late Dr. Falwell spoke at one of ther graduations, and now Dr. Caner, president of Liberty Seminary, is scheduled to do the same this May.

#4 TCGreek, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

TCG, I'm still wanting to know if Liberty's standards have decreased or if Andersonville's has increased. Why else would Liberty accept transfers from Andersonville's undergrad program to their grad program? I'm confused by Liberty accepting ANTHING from Andersonville!

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Webdog, Martin is a grad of Liberty and keeps up with the issues; I guess he'll eventually chime in on this one.

Liberty may have lowered its standards, for Andersonville appears the same.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I find it odd that Liberty will accept Andersonville's degrees but not individual credits?

Distance education was once one of my hobbies. At one time, in association with serving on SACS/ACSI accreditation teams, I did a little research on some UA schools with distance programs and how their credits/degrees could be used for Bible credits. Andersonville was one of the schools that ACSI will take the credits but not the degrees. That's opposite to what Liberty is doing. Interesting . . .

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that many institutions will admit a limited number of candidates with unaccredited degrees to their programs. It is often probationary admission. They would not necessarily accept transfer credits, however.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

That makes sense Stefan. I'd like to see some numbers. This has raised my curiousity a bit. I'm wondering how many UA students Liberty takes a year. How many Andersonville students would be accepted provisionally and then are fully accepted, etc.

I also wondered (I don't remember this being the case, but it's possible) if there is some variance in the program at Andersonville. A project, thesis, etc could make a differnce in Liberty's consideration for admittance.

10. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, It has been my experience that Liberty has raised their standards or at least it seems so. When I enrolled with Liberty in 2000 they were very generous to me in terms of transfer credits. They accepted all of the work I had done with Global University (DETC Accredited) by correspondence in pastoral ministry, they accepted all of the work I had with Harcourt Learning in computer science, now Penn Foster College (Also DETC Accredited), and they accepted many credits by way of military training.

I have a friend on the other hand who didn't receive nearly as much generosity when she considered Liberty about a year ago for a degree in finance. She has a Regionally Accredited Associates Degree which they were willing to accept most of but she has a Bachelor and Master's in Christian Counseling from a UA school (Pillsbury College and Seminary www.pillsburycs.org) which they would accept none of. Even much of the A.A. work was going to have to be "re-done." This surprised me mostly because Pillsbury uses NCCA and AACC (Christian Counseling Organizations) continuing ed material for much of their courses and AACC President Tim Clinton has strong ties with Liberty.

2 cents... :type:

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I must have proof or their claims are just that...claims. For the most part these are people who earned undergraduate degrees from Andersonville being accepted into Liberty Seminary. That is not unusual nor does it surprise me. I know of several unaccredited schools that have undergraduate graduates accepted into Liberty and Southeastern. So no surprise there.

==Accepts undergraduate degrees but not credits. See the limit? I know the writer of the email cannot legally share those letters I would love to see them.

==This, I would have to have proof of and I would have to know the "whole" story. I can't comment further unless/until further information comes forward.

==Neither. It is not unheard of that accredited seminaries honor undergraduate degrees from unaccredited schools. Having said that, however, that is not a risk I would take.

Edit to add:

It would also be interesting to know if these people were accepted directly or were they accepted with conditions (probation, etc).

#11 Martin, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Martin how did you arive to your current view of Andersonville from this...?

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=66836&postcount=4

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Clearly my views have changed since 01-04-2005. Since that time I graduated from Liberty, did a school search for a MA/History program, went to a university to earn my second MA, got a job in the school of education at that university, helped do reports/research for the re-accreditation process at that job, discussed the issue with more people, made friends of college professors and staff who are well informed on these issues, talked further to my father who has worked on SACS boards, and have read much more on the subject. So much has changed since January of '05.

Other things have changed as well.

In January of '05 I was a 4-point Calvinist. Now I am a 5-point Calvinist.

In January of '05 I was "no expert" on the issue. While I am still not an "expert", and as complex as accreditation is I am not sure there are any "experts", I know far more about the subject now then I did then.

In January of '05 I was not a college instructor, I am now. That also affects my views on these issues.

So digging up old posts maybe fun and everything but it does not change my current views of these things. Views that I must say are much better informed. Sometimes I read things I posted on various theological web-boards back in the late 90s, and I am amazed at how ignorant I really was. So things change, and as people grow they change. That is certainly true of me.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks...I wasn't trying to change your views, but was something I came up with on my own research on the BB.

Sorry about you becoming a 5 pointer, btw. 4 points are bad enough :)

15. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog Response and Apology

WD,

I am sorry I misunderstood your OP. Please forgive.

Let me offer a couple of observations if I may about your overall inquiry.

First, Liberty has, and always will be, Fundamentalists Independent Baptist on some level. If not, there will always be the perception that it is.

Secondly and based on #1 above, schools/degrees like Andersonville have been well accepted by IFB churches as well as other Fundamentalists groups. It would not be difficult to see that Liberty would/could accept the degrees from places like Andersonville on a "case-by-case" basis. After all the person "does have a degree."

Three, and I don't like to impugn anyone's integrity BUT: with the way things are going in the academic world; email, on line learning, co-hort learning, Blackboard Delivery Systems, etc., here is a "cash cow" if you will. There is a lot of people out there who might want an MAR online (read Regionally Accredited) degree from Liberty who cannot or will not do what it takes to move their family like I did when we came to Mid America.

It would be easy to understand, for a college like Liberty as described above, to admit someone with an "unaccredited degree" on academic probation for one or two semesters to see if they can perform. Then they can let them into say an on line MAR program so the person will have access to an RA degree program. Then with the accredited master's degree "in hand" upon graduation they can go on to whatever other educational opportunities they wish.

For this I fault no one. It does make sense since I have sat down to type it out more than when I first considered it.

My two cents worth!

"That is all!"

#15 Rhetorician, Apr 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Thanks for your words of sympathy :laugh: .

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Accepting students or accepting credits?

Perhaps it has escaped my notice but I did not see whether Liberty accepts Andersonville credits for transfer or if they accepted their graduates. There is a huge difference that needs discussion. To accept the credits for transfer is to give credibility to the institution and its instruction. However, to accept a graduate does not solely depend on the student's alma mater. A student may be qualified to pursue graduate studies without the formal academic background. Acceptance for graduate work can be a highly individualized process with formal education being only one factor in the consideration. Perhaps someone would like to address this issue.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Andersonville claimed they accepted undergrad degrees...but then Bitsy stated here that she remembers them taking credits...so I'm utterly confused at this point :)

19. DrRandyGrace

DrRandyGrace New Member

My undergraduate degree was earned at a very liberal baptist college. I basically held my nose, regurgitated what they desired, paid my money and walked out with a degree. I chose to do both my graduate degrees from Andersonville. I was required to take the courses, complete the exams, do research and present thoroughly documented papers in every course that I took. While I heard some things with which I did not agree, on the whole, it was a very positive experience and much more profitable than my undergrad degree that contained information that for the most part I cast aside. I highly recommend Andersonville.

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Accepting transfer credits is based on the credibility of instruction from another institution whereas accepting a student with a degree is more about the qualifications of the individual who may have come by his or her competence through means other than formal education at a RA school.