1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Andersonville Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Sep 5, 2005.

1. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Welcome back, indeed. Praying for your speedy recovery. BTW did you go with the pump or not the pump? I'm kind of curious about the CABG. I have some cardiac issues myself.

2. Brice

Brice New Member

UZThD,

The posture of your response is disturbing. I apologize if I am taking your post the wrong way, but you are attacking this man without provocation. You are making assumptions about his motivation and this is unfair. He constantly explained why he took the route he did. It is possible that he didn't know about other routes. He is now very far into the program and needs to decide if he is going to finish or pursue an accredited degree, but that is no reason to attack his motivations. J_Barner please continue to pursue God's will and I'm sure everything will work out fine. God Bless.

3. hvnhlpr

hvnhlpr New Member

J Barner and Brother Ian,

I agree with Brice. Just continue to be faithful. I applaud both of you for wanting to continue your biblical training. The Lord will tell you to stay with Andersonville or find another school. I cannot second guess your motivations on this particular issue- omniscience is not an attribute that was given to me the moment of my conversion. Regardless of the school of choice- both of you are co-laborers in ministry and I pray the Lord continues to bless your ministries.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Sorry, Brice and hvnhlpr, but UZThD has hit the nail on the head. He's not making assumptions or questioning motivation. All he has done is to take what J_Barner has written in previous threads and responded to them. It is more loving to speak the truth bluntly than to offer comfort to those who continue down the wrong path.

We've bought so much into the secular "I'm okay; you're okay," that responding truthfully is somehow out of bounds for a Christian. An Andersonville degree is worthless as a degree. The only people who think otherwise know nothing about theological education. UZThD is right---if you only want the "education," buy the tapes and texts.

Many of us could have gone the Andersonville route and been called "Doctor," but we knew it would be a sham. No, UZThD is right. Most who do Andersonville programs cannot be accepted into credible programs because the requisite degrees come from non-credible programs.

Let's not be like the false prophets of the OT and cry out "Peace! Peace!" where there is no peace. This is not a matter of personalities; it's a matter of truth.

Some folks get sucked into the Andersonvilles of the theological world unwittingly. However, once they are confronted with the truth, then their response reveals their motivation or hard-headness.

If someone wants to debate the worthiness of Andersonville (yet again), please start another thread with that intent. Andersonville is easy to assess just by looking at its faculty and requirements.

To Bill G.: I can see that you've recovered enough to see issues clearly. May God continue to restore you to good health and bless your ministry at Faith.

Blessings,
    Bill

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Welcome back, indeed. Praying for your speedy recovery. BTW did you go with the pump or not the pump? I'm kind of curious about the CABG. I have some cardiac issues myself. </font>[/QUOTE]===

I believe I was on the pump. My doc has read on the issue and questions the validity of the research which attempts to correlate neural losses to using the pump. He pointed out that there can be some difficulty in attaching bypasses to a beating heart.

I came out of the IC unit quickly and remember pointing to the tube down my wind pipe pipe and motioning for them to remove it. I had good focus and in a couple of days was rereading Martin Chemnitz' The Two Natures of Christ.

I REALLY had several very bad nights. They kept two tubes in my chest for twp nights and one up my penis into the bladder for draining for four nights. About 5PM one night the nurse began a drip using one of the catheters in my wrist area. Unknown to her the catheter was bad. The liquid instead of going into a vein was dispersing under skin. I woke up 2 hrs later with a terrible burning in my arm which lasted for 6 hrs.

Oh well, I don't know how many times I have God in the last 6 days when as it usually happened something was done right.

My good brethren: I hope this not an improper comparison . But I wonder if not only does Christ in His humanity share our frailty and understand us , PRAISE GOD, but in our greatest physical trials we understand better what He has suffered by pain in His humanity FOR US !

Bill

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I 'm sorry that you are disturbed because I disagree with Ian over ATS. But your being disturbed has absolutely no bearing on the issue of the quality of the ATS ThD.

I don't believe I am attacking Ian. But I am attacking what passes at Andersonville for a ThD program. It is deceptive and it is a disgrace!

Ian asked for a response. I gave him mine as one who knows quite a bit about higher Christian Ed. If you don't like it, oh well.

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

8. christianmilvet

christianmilvet New Member

As a Bachelors student at Andersonville I have found the program to be outstanding. The teachings of JESUS were viewed as wrong in HIS time. Andersonville is not for everybody but neither is Harvard or Yale. If the LORD leads a person to Andersonville then who are we to question the decision to enroll there. Accreditation can be a very political process. One of the institutions which the Rev. Billy Graham attended was not accredited when he was there. This has not in any way hindered the theology of Rev. Graham. When I was in prayer regarding an institution to enroll in, I saw problems with many of the distance learning schools supported by many of this Board. While considering all factors, I believe a person should allow the LORD to be the final determining factor in which program to enroll in.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    QUICK QUESTION!! Ref:ANDERSONVILLE Doctoral progams -vs- other doctoral programs.

Let's, if we can, put aside all the emotion and stuff. Let's just look at this from a educational stand only. Ok?

I want you to look at two degree programs. One is from Andersonville, one is from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Then I want you to answer the questions. Please visit the two sites and read ALL the info carefully before answering.

The first program is Andersonville's Doctorate of Theology program. Examine that program by clicking here . Program info is on page 6. Also look at the entrance requirements by clicking here .

The second program is Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminaries PhD program. Examine that program by clicking here . Be sure to look at entrance requirments (etc). Read the pages carefully.

After you have read/compared those pages carefully please take a few moments to answer the following questions:

1. Compare and contrast the entrance requirements for Southeastern and Andersonville's doctoral progams. Discuss languages, standardized tests, graduate degrees, etc. Which requires more?

2. Compare and contrast the actual doctoral programs. Which sounds more challenging? In answering this question look at all requirements.

3. After carefully looking over both programs which one do you believe will be most widely accepted by employers (seminaries, universities, colleges, churches, etc).

4. After carefully looking over both programs which one do you honestly believe will better prepare a person for effective service in areas such as church history, New Testament/Old Testament studies, etc?

5. Which of the two programs has turned out top of the line, God fearing and Bible believing, Seminary/University professors? Which one has not? On both please also explain why you believe this to be the case.

6. While Andersonville is more convenient than Southeastern, do you believe making some adjustments for the Southeastern program would be more fulfilling and rewarding in the long term than Andersonville? Why or why not? Also if Southeastern expanded their online program would that make Southeastern more accessable?

The point here is not to bash Andersonville. The point is the make clear the differences between Andersonville and a accredited institution of Christian higher learning. Btw you could compare Andersonville to Liberty, Luther Rice, or any other school that has a extended distance/online learning degree program and get the same type answers.

Martin.

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

FYI for all, not that it matters. . . I am pursuing a D.Min., not a Th.D. at Andersonville.

The D.Min. is distinguished from a Doctor of Philosophy or Doctor of Theology in that it focuses specifically on excellence in practical ministry rather than academic research and languages.

I am certain there is backlash to follow.

Bill, I am happy that all went well, I prayed for you the morning of the surgery.

Ian

11. Broadus

Broadus Member

My complaint against Andersonville has nothing to do with "the teachings of Jesus" being acceptable or not. The quality of work required is the issue.

If you do your bachelor's through Andersonville, you will find no credible graduate program accept your work. At the very best you may be accepted on probation, but most will not acknowledge your diploma.

Again, a school which Billy Graham attended has nothing to do with Andersonville. Are you talking about Bob Jones? Bob Jones has always been seen as credible, accredited or not, with rare acceptions. Comparing Andersonville with Bob Jones is like comparing a pen light with a flood light.

I always love the "if the Lord leads me, then who are you to question that" argument. Evangelical feminists use the same argument, as well as homosexuals who claim a call to the ministry. How do you know the Lord led you to Andersonville? I find it hard to believe that the Lord led you to an inferior program for training to do His work. There are quality distance education opportunities out there, but Andersonville is not one of them.

Also, this has nothing to do with accreditation. There are highly credible non-accredited programs.

No, the issue is legitimacy. I do have less of an issue with Andersonville's offering a bachelor's degree than I do with its offering a grad degree, especially a doctorate. My concern for you is that if you do post-bachelor work, it will have to be at a non-credible institution.

Why did you choose Andersonville for your foundational degree? Why not Luther Rice Bible College, where you could earn an accredited degree?

Bill

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

ITS tapes are accredited

You will notice in the list below, Denver, Gordon-Conwell, Dallas Theological Seminary (Their site was where I first learned about ITS)
    web page

Now A DMin or ThD or PhD should not have very many classes from the MDiv level applied to the doctoral level (usually 3 is the number I see referenced)

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bill

I have had several graduate schools tell me that they will not accept LRS (Luther Rice) either.

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

16. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Martin

Wish you would make the comparison for us.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Wish you would make the comparison for us."

==Sorry, not going to. The difference between the two types of schools is very, very clear. I don't really care if anyone answers it on the board or not. My concern is that those who promote Andersonville would look at the massive difference between a solid school like Southeastern and a school like Andersonville. There is a world of difference. I put the links up to compare the ThD (Andersonville) with the PhD (Southeastern). Why not compare the MDiv at Andersonville with the MDiv at Regent Divinity School? Or Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, or Southwestern? On each of those fronts, and I could name plenty more, Andersonville will be seen to not even be in the same ballpark (academically). If a person wants a degree (online/distance) I suggest Liberty, Southern, Luther Rice, or another accredited school. The degrees from those schools will enjoy much wider acceptance than a degree from Andersonville. Luther Rice and Southern Evangelical are TRACS accredited, Liberty Theological is TRACS and SACS. I know as a fact Liberty is accepted by state universities, seminaries, etc. Can Andersonville claim that? No. I can name several major schools that will accept degrees/credits from Luther Rice and Southern Evangelical because those schools, while not RA, are nationally accredited with TRACS. Some of the schools that have told me directly that they will accept some/full credits/degrees from Luther Rice or Southern Evangelical are: MidAmerica Baptist Theological Seminary, Moody Bible Institute, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wheaton, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary etc, etc. Do we even need to ask if they will accept degrees (in full) or credits (in part) from Andersonville? No, because we know what they will say (No).

I am not crashing the individual folks who have degrees from Andersonville. For crying out loud my pastor has a degree from Covington! He got a ThD from Covington but does not call himself "Dr" for very obvious reasons. My point? one should not do what my pastor did. One should get a degree from a school that enjoys academic acceptance. Then one is not limited by their degree.

Martin.

18. Brice

Brice New Member

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

AMEN!

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I would pray that he has decided to give his life to the ministry of reconciliation to honor Christ ... But, then again maybe he hasn't ...