1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anne Rice (yeah, she of vampire fame)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by queenbee, Mar 22, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Yes SFIC, she says it's fiction. Go to her page and see. She said she did historical research but says it is fiction.

"I offer these novels to all Christians. And I offer them to all those who have enjoyed or valued my earlier books. Please understand: they are fiction, but they are fiction that’s seeks to bring the reader closer to the Lord in whom my life belongs."(bold mine)

http://www.annerice.com/

#21 JerryL, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  2. standingfirminChrist

Why in the world would a Christian write a book that makes Christ a liar, lustful, disobedient, and a murderer?

The answer??

A Christian wouldn't.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm thinking she would probably call it "literary license". But that's a good question. I don't know why a Christian would write those type of things about Christ.

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, I didn't notice that. I must have had my electronic critical eye turned off that night. :)

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Can you say "Show me the money?" The success of "The DaVinci Code" is what is driving this. Dan Brown got some of the research for his book from the Gnostic gospel of Thomas. In that "gospel" (who ever this Thomas is supposed to be) the author tells these very same supposed tales of Jesus' childhood. It also speaks of a marriage to Mary Madeline. These are lies right out of Hell. EWO

6. standingfirminChrist

Anne Rice speaks about her second Christ chronicle, Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana (Anne Rice)[​IMG] and her disgust with Dan Brown's Davinci Code.
    I think this new book is a very radical book," she said. "The bar of realism is so high, and yet it's so completely orthodox. My faith in the Bible and in Jesus is absolute. I don't rationalize. Everything I write is based on what he does in the Bible and what the Bible tells us about him.

It's a radical accomplishment -- and I don't know whether people will see that -- to combine an accurate history of the period and archaeology and geology and be completely faithful to the Bible and yet write a novel that keeps people turning the pages. I have created an emotional life for him that fits my faith in him as God and man.
    - christianfiction.blogspot.com

Publishers and readers call it fiction, but according to Anne Rice's own statement, it is not fiction.

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Seeing that she is Catholic, her "disgust" with Brown would be reasonable, as Brown targets the basic tenants of Catholicism and their priestly order. She is still getting her information from a Gnostic source.

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

In the epilogue to Out of Egypt, Anne goes into great detail about how she came to embrace the Christ of the New Testament. Then she states that she was faced with whether to accept or reject the gnostic gospels, and then states that she embraced them. Clearly flawed theology, but it is a very minor theme in her books, e.g., she relates the story about the boy Jesus fashioning birds out of clay and releasing them into the air. Probably more disturbing to most Protestants would be her presentation of Jesus as the only child of Mary. On the the whole, these books are good reading, just as was (and is) Gen. Lew Wallace's Ben Hur. I would suggest reading them before volunteering too much criticism.

9. standingfirminChrist

She states they are based on the Bible, yet I have yet to find Scripture in the Bible that states
    a) Jesus was disobedient and a rebellious son to Mary and Joseph
    b) Jesus murdered a child when He was 7 years old
    c) Jesus lied to Mary
    d) Jesus got into fights with other kids in which He was teased and kicked and punched
    e) Jesus made pigeons fashioned out of clay to be real birds that flew away.
    f) Jesus was secretly in love with a girl named Avigail and may have had a tryst with her in an olive grove.

Perhaps you could point me to those Biblical passages, Zenas?

If Anne is embracing the Christ of the New Testament, it must be an entirely re-written New Testament than that which is the inspired Word of God.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

In "Ben Hur", Jesus is not taken out of character. It seems that in these books Jesus is so out of character that there is no resemblance to the Christ that I know. I do not need to read anything that adds more than what the Bible tells us. Even if it is sold as fiction. And before you accuse me of being against anything fiction, just let me tell you that I am an avid scifi reader. Just don't fictionalize Christ. EWO

11. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

EWO? What does this mean Palatka?

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

In reference to post #18, this thread, I stated that it would be good policy to have your Eyes Wide Open when these heresies are introduced. It seems to me as a money scheme similar to Brown's success with "The DaVinci Code".

EWO

#32 Palatka51, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  13. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Thanks Bro!:smilewinkgrin:

Never thought to look at that post...took me forever to try and figure that out...so decided to ask.:godisgood:

14. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Me either/too. All these comments since my original post on this topic make me realize I didn't read far enough about her, as other more discerning eyes have pointed out many flaws in her theology.

I can only pray that her conversion is real and that she she'll learn the full Truth through study and prayer ... and soon, so that if she writes more (novels or non-fiction), it will be an accurate depiction of Jesus.

15. standingfirminChrist

Just watched a two-part interview on youtube with Anne Rice in which she explains what resources influenced her to write her books on Christ.

These are the ones she mentioned:

Walter Cardinal Kasper: Jesus, the Christ
    Walter Cardinal Kasper: The God of Jesus Christ
    N.T. Wright: The New Testament and the People of God
    N.T. Wright: The Resurrection of the Son of God
    D.A. Carson: The Gospel According to John
    Leon Morris: The Gospel According to Matthew
    Craig S. Keener: The Gospel of John : A Commentary
    Craig S. Keener: The Gospel of Matthew : A Commentary
    Raymond E Brown, S.S.: Birth of the Messiah
    Karl Rahner, S.J.: Foundations of Christian Faith
    John A.T. Robinson: The Priority of John

Most of these authors are Catholic Clergy.

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

You will find this listing in the pseudepigraphical works (or NT apocryphas).

17. standingfirminChrist

Anne is also considering writing another novel about her vampire character LeStat. In it, she said she may have LeStat get saved.

Wow! A vampire getting saved? One of the demonic undead born again?

Does she truly know the Christ I know? I trow not.