1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Annointing your home

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I was wondering, I had a Pastor recently ask if I would allow his members to have a prayer service at my house. You know.. we can read the word and pray. He also mentioned we can annoint the home while we are there as well. What does that mean?

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm used to this in Episcopalian circles. My understanding is that the pastor simply asks God for blessings upon your home & family. If unsure, ask him.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It might mean they are planning to literally anoint the home with oil by placing drops of it in the corners of the room and praying.

If this is done symbolically, I think it's okay. But if it's done in the belief that putting this oil there somehow magically protects your home, that's unbiblical.

4. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I'd sure talk to the Pastor, tali. Oily corners aren't my idea of an annointing. That comes from the Holy Spirit. If you confess Jesus Christ as Savior and follow Him as Lord, you are already annointed. A wooden or brick home is just that: a wooden or brick home. Normally, annointing it involves enclosing it in some form of protection from evil spirits. Just check it out first. Bottom line: You can pray "God, protect our home." That is a Holy Spirit annointing.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

every time "anoint" appears in the NT it has to do with a person, not a building.

Praying for our needs is fine...but IMO there's no anointing needed for a building. God doesn't dwell in a building built by human hands.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

:applause: :thumbs:

:applause: :thumbs:

Amen to both of these posts!

7. AAA

AAA New Member

A pastor and I did this once at my house.

What he did was to take some "olive oil" and put some on his finger tips and he will go around putting the olive oil on the door post and window seals. He then asked for GOD's protection and blessing upon the house.

Remeber the pass over, the houses were anointed with blood and it was a sign that the people inside the house was under the protection of GOD.

:godisgood:

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, but that was symbolic and represented Jesus' blood which was to be shed. God had them do that to show the need for blood for protection; the blood itself didn't really protect them - God did. And blood isn't oil.

When we trust in Christ, we are adopted and we are heirs; we have all the protection we need. We don't need to put a substance on our homes for protection, though prayer is, of course, biblical and good.