1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Baptist Chaplain discussion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 23, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose if the rodeo circuit can have preachers, the race track folks should, too.

There is a difference between enjoying a sporting event and betting on the outcome.

Back before living got old, a deck of cards was evil in itself.

In our modern times, folks have "grown up" enough to distinguish between the game and the gamble... but when does one "have no fellowship with...?"

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Is there a difference between "having fellowship with" and being around someone with the intended purpose of making disciples of them and discipling them?

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent question!!

Would it matter if the discipleship was secrete or an openly stated purpose?

If we are to be "in" but not "off" the world, I'm not certain that it matters.

We are to witnesses, and discipleship is a part of that program - "training them..."

Is there a distinction that should be applied?

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I would like to suggest that it depends on how we define fellowship. Biblical fellowship is for believers. It implies not the odd potluck or coffee and donuts but lives lived together. This is necessary for us to be able to really rejoice and weep together as we must. Having supper with unsaved (and therefore sinful) neighbors does not meet the biblical standard. Working with unsaved people does not equal fellowship either, nor would having lunch with unsaved co-workers.

Jesus ate and drank with unbelievers. Paul must have also, given his statement about being all things to all men in an effort to save some. When Paul spoke in open squares and public places to reach the lost he was in and among the lost. He had to know their beliefs in order to address their worship of the Unknown God, for example.

It seems to me that motives are important, known to others or not. The context of the relationships themselves would also be important. Fellowship with unrepentant believers is commanded through Paul. Reaching the lost requires that we spend time with them.