1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Exodus Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Bryant, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am preaching thru Exodus and will be dealing with Pharaoh's magician's rods becoming snakes that are eaten by Moses rod and their ability to make water turn into blood.

I was wondering what you think happened and how you would best talk about this to a congregation. I already have some idea but wanted to know your thoughts.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God, thru Moses, could always "one up" the magicians.

Moses' rod ate theirs. God, thru Moses, could turn an entire river into blood.

God is the real deal.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

The first answer is I don't know.

In seminary I was taught that the Hebrew word tannin translated “serpent” in this chapter is not translated “serpent” anywhere else in the Bible. I believe it is translated dragon in other parts of the Scripture if I recall correctly. The word is actually satanic in its meaning, and that could be the reason the translators used the word serpent. The power of their demonic gods lay in their secret arts.They were able to do miracles in the power of Satan.
    Actually the word used here is crocodile. During the days of Moses there were many of them living in the Nile River and ponds throughout the land. The rod changed into a crocodile. Egyptians worshiped the crocodile.

The rod again represented regal authority and implied that Yahweh, not Pharaoh, was sovereign.

4. grace56

grace56 New Member

We had an excellent Exodus Bible study last fall and it was explained to us that God used Egypt's man made gods against Pharoh and the Egyptian people.

Grace56

5. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the responses.

Here is what I am saying Sunday:
    NEVER UNERESTIMATE THE POWER OF SATAN.
    This showed the limited power of Satan. Satan's agents couldn’t do anything to reverse the miracle.
    Satan’s Power is limited to:
    Ø Counterfeiting God’s miracles
    Ø Adding to people’s misery

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Sounds like good and useful message. Wish I could be there.

7. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

This was a good response and really 'got my wheels turning.' The crocodile god, Sobek was highly esteemed during the reign of Sobeknefru, hence his name (many pharoahs included their favorite god in their name for inscriptions). According to my research (which produced results in line with the Bible and markedly different than the accepted chronology of Egypt), this was either the Pharaoh of Moses' exile to Midian or the very Pharaoh of the Exodus. Sobeknefru is usually regarded as the last pharoah of the 12th dynasty and the end of his reign is quite confusing, it ushers in the Hyksos invaders, and is documented by the 'Ipuwer Papyrus', which is quite similar in content to the plagues of Exodus 5-12.

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

First of all, it wasn't Moses' rod which became the serpent and swallowed Pharaoh's magicians rods. In Exodus 7:8-13:

Exodus 7:8 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
    Exodus 7:9 When Pharaoh shall speak unto you, saying, Shew a miracle for you: then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and cast it before Pharaoh, and it shall become a serpent.
    Exodus 7:10 And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the LORD had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
    Exodus 7:11 Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.
    Exodus 7:12 For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.
    Exodus 7:13 And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.

It was also Aaron's rod which turned the water into blood:

Exodus 7:15 Get thee unto Pharaoh in the morning; lo, he goeth out unto the water; and thou shalt stand by the river's brink against he come; and the rod which was turned to a serpent shalt thou take in thine hand.

Exodus 7:19
    And the LORD spake unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and stretch out thine hand upon the waters of Egypt, upon their streams, upon their rivers, and upon their ponds, and upon all their pools of water, that they may become blood; and that there may be blood throughout all the land of Egypt, both in vessels of wood, and in vessels of stone.

Just thought I would point this out...it was not Moses' rod, but Aaron's rod. Preach on!

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Yes, You have done some good work.
    Some think Pharaoh’s daughter may have been the oldest daughter of Rameses II, or she may have been his sister, while others think the daughter of Pharaoh (Thutmose I) was probably Hatshepsut who was a very significant person in Egyptian history . She later assumed co-regency with Thutmose III and ruled as the fifth Pharaoh of the eighteenth dynasty (1503-1482 B.C.) It has been years sense I've studied about this, lets say early to mid 60's. Your study might be a lot better than I recall. Now I'll have to do some reading.
    Thanks for bring it up.

10. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Linda,
    you are right of course... but in 4:20 it seems that it is also Moses rod which begins to be called the rod of God. It is an interesting story that keeps getting deeper the more I study... guess I didn't stay awake during during Penteteuch in seminary.

I appreciate the kind of sharpening this group brings!

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Just a couple of applications:

Moses' rod/ the Rod of God, swallows the false trinity up with One God.

Also, when God told Moses to pick it up, he grabbed it by the tail meaning that God controlled the head. That is viewed as we just have to hang onto the tail end of this thing, God is in control!

Another is that the life is in the blood and under the control of the Rod of God to either give life or take it away.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Something interesting about that rod

In the wilderness, God told Moses to throw the rod down

Rod turns to a snake(wasn't a Croc, sorry)

Then God told Moses to pick the snake up by the tail

Here's whats unusual about that

You don't pick a snake up by the tail---you pick a snake up by the head----you handle a snake by the tail and he'll wrap around you and bite---but theres something about that rod turn to a snake and then to eat the Magicians snakes on top of all that???!!!

I know a fella----sitting on his front porch in north Mississippi on a hot Summer day------out of the corner of his eye he sees the largest King snake he has ever seen crawling on the ground toward the porch----the snake crawls onto the porch and finds his way through a crack in the front door screen and into the house it goes-----into a closet and into a hole in the floor

The owner follows the snake and to his astonishment----on the ground under neath the house---the King snake is battling a Rattle snake

It kills the Rattle snake and eats it----underneath the house

I kid you not!!!!

The rod turn to snake??? Eating other snakes----King Snake, I say it is---King of King snakes!!!!