1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Gospel

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by The Undiscovered Country, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

DHK,

"I wouldn't argue with that point. What would make you think that I would?"

I'm not accusing you of any of the above. But it seems to me that you are defending the actions of some very poor Christians.

The fact is that Jesus saw fit to treat sinners with love, while still admonishing their sins. Again - what are the fruits of the spirit? Zeal for the law is not among them. I've never said that rules are not important. But Christ's life proved to us that this is not everything.

Remember that Christians are prone to human nature just as are the lost. To judge another coldly is very human. To recognize the fault but still help the person up with kindness is Christlike.

P.S. If you read my posts in the versions forum (I got tired of it) you'll see that I have done more than a cursory study of these issues.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Personal convictions have a lot to do with what is perceived as legalism. That is what the original post was about. We are accused of legalism, whereas we believe our personal convictions (especially those concerning CCM) are Biblically based. It is not legalistic to have a desire to walk close to the Lord, to be holy. Do people have a problem with this. It can be demonstrated very easily that CCM is very worldly music, and that not even the world can tell the difference from it and worldly rock. Both are sold in the same stores. People buy both, not for the words, but for the music.
    DHK

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the member starting this thread is not an active member of a Baptist church, it has been moved to "Other Religions" forum.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are many things that we could agree to disagree on, and in the end I think we would still be brothers in the Lord on good terms. I don't let most of the aforemention things divide me from having fellowship with others.

I have strong convictions in certain areas. Most of the things mentioned are indeed convictions that both our church and I hold. That doesn't mean that I would impose them on others. But I would ask others to respect the position that I hold.

Again, I stress that our church is not legalistic. I have never had one baptist label our church as legalistic. Many have however. All the people that have labeled our church as legalistic have either been unsaved, Charismatic, or ungodly new evangelicals. None of them have been Baptists. So you can derive your own conclusions. Personal convictions and "perceived legalism" are related, just as personal convictions and holiness are related.
    DHK

5. Charles Meadows

DHK,

I certainly don't begrudge anyone who puts a premium on living a Godly life. And I am not inveighing against one who simply has strong convictions.

Convictions regarding things such as bible versions, music, dress, etc are not wrong - but they are based somewhat on inference. As such they, in my opinion, are subordinate to the clear biblical fundamentals.

To have disdain for CCM is fine, but to use this disdain as grounds for not showing kindness to another is not. To me this is when holiness crosses over into legalism.

That's my side anyway. ;)

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You see, this is an assumption you have made. There is no disdain for anyone. There is no CCM in our church. Period. Does that automatically mean that love is left the door? Where do you get that from? It is a standard that we have. We also have a standard that no pot is to be smoked in the church, as you would too (I hope). Do I automatically conclude then, that you have a hatred of all pot-smokers? That is the smear tactics that you are using against us. It is wrong.
    DHK

7. The Undiscovered Country

So where do you draw the line? Halter tops and mini skirts are not in the Bible either.

</font>[/QUOTE]But one could equally argue that men's trousers or wearing deodorant are not in the bible either. The list is what is not acceptable seems to be very selective and take no account of the spiritual state of the person and in that sense inherently legalistic.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Until that happens their yelling is worthless. I can show them how they are sinners easily within a few minutes or less. But so often the yelling and condemnation of those who yell overcomes any message the person has to give. They see the messenger and do not hear the message. In our humility they are to see Jesus not the messenger. We must decrease and He must increase.

I think there is a place for yelling and it isn't for people who are listening but for the self righteous religious folks. Who did John yell at? It was the self righteous--the religious people.

I can assure you that there are those who assume they are righteous and yell at people condemning them. I personally worked with a man who had gotten caught up in that mess. It was what many would call a Christian cult. His self righteousness nearly cost him his entire family. God got ahold of him when his wife left. She left permanenty and divorced him. Some of his kids have had some serious problems trying to get past the legalism as well. The legalistic group has rejected him and his children. So that left his kids ot make new friends. Imagine how that is seen bu his children. Imagine what that looks like to them about those who call themselves Christians. That was their view of Christianity. They have been slowly coming around to see genuine Christianity. To this day he knows he was deceived but is still perplexed that he actually joined such a seemingly good group.

All I can say is that you will become like those you hang` around with. So be careful who your friends are.

9. Charles Meadows

DHK,

Calm down there brother...

Remember I am not accusing you (or your church) of legalism. Indeed I have never met you nor have I been to your church. And I never said that your anti-CCM stance is wrong.

But let's be honest here. As a preacher's son-in law and a member of local southern gospel group I've been in ALOT of baptist churches. And there's plenty of legalism to go around.

You and your church may not take convictions to legalistic (and sinful) extremes but rest assured there are plenty that do. And they do damage to our missionary cause.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the NT they met in houses and not in church buildings as we know them. So I wonder why the legalists meet in church buildings and not homes? I wonder why the legalist buys gasoline to put in their car that primarily comes from the Middle East and supports Muslims? I wonder why the legalist does not wear a cloak instead of a dress or pants? Pants and dress are not biblical in the NT and OT. Wearing shoes is not biblical either. Those in the OT and NT wore sandals.I wonder when the legalistic women are going to start wearing a burka? That was the culture in the OT and NT.

But the legalist does not know that what they see as conservative is simply not biblical but rather preference within the culture.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That I agree with. I once was told that a preacher could not preach in a certain church because he had wire rimmed glasses. I don't know what kind of evil association it had. But I think that went a little far.
    DHK

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Gal 1:6-11 the "other gospel" that was identified -- is the system or belief that God had one means of salvation in the OT and among the Jews (Works) and another means (Grace) among the Gentiles. But in the NT age those in this error taught that the Jewish system was BETTER than the Gentiles system of lawlessness.

In the modern form of this error - the same error is preserved only the claim is made that the Gentile system is better than the OT system of legalism.

Fascinating!

In Christ,

Bob