1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another "member" thread

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Dec 20, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't watch it either, but this has been around for so long most people have heard it.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Spinach,

I havent even posted on this thread, just been reading casually, and even I noticed the same thing.

Very odd.

Start a simple thread, and you get insulted, and slandered, and accused of ulterior motives.

Folks, we are all christians here!!!

Remember this?....

:godisgood:

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder how often Paul visited his home church?

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

You implied it. I don't have the exact quotes right in front of me, but you said something to the effect that it sounded like it wasn't a hypothetical and then you asked what the "hypothetical" church had to say about it.

If that isn't an implication of dishonesty, I don't know what is.

5. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Did they not submit to the authority of the church or was the church passive in the group's independent nature?

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I suppose I've been here long enough to be initiated, eh?

Really, I don't mind taking heat for something I've said wrong, but this one was just strange, imo.

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Getting back to the subject, I like what you said Tom
    I think this is the best way to handle it.

Assuming the church wanted to support this trio, I would consider taking this a step further and ordaining them. They need to go out as a ministry of the church, not separate from it. As far as ministries they can participate in when they are at church teaching would be a hard one. If you can't count on their regular attendance then there are limits to the responsibilities you can give them. If they can attend regular meetings then they might be able to serve as trusties, but being a deacon involves a lot of time and emergency type calls. I don't know how they could discharge those duties.

As far as sending them a bulletin, yea. And gb93433 Paul may not have been able to attend his sending church very often, but he did write some letters.

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I like what Tom said too - and your addition. They should not be going out on their own - ordination, if the church felt led would give them more authority.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree. This is how it was handled in our old church, they were representing God and our church when they went out and the pastor had to be informed of when and where they were going to sing, or any other ministry it might involve, not necessarily singing.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They just did what they wanted without discussing it with the pastor or church. One of the singers was a deacon and Sunday School teacher. It was a pride issue. They had talent, and knew it, and it was more important than being in church under the pastor's teaching. There was fighting between the singers/artists for "control" over the group.

They also made CD's and sang songs without copyright permission, and sold the CD's, which is a violation of the copyright laws.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

iI wouldn't be for ordaining any of those folks just because they're ministering under auspices of the church. Ordination, in my view, is for pastors and deacons.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The United States military does not think so.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Christ's church is not the United States military, what they 'think' doesn't matter when it comes to christianity.

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would depend on God's leading first and foremost.
    MB

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So are you suggesting that young male chaplains counsel women in the military instead of women chaplains?

While what you say is true, many Christians and denominations view ordination as unbiblical. Getting ordained did absolutely nothing for me personally and did nothing to help me make disciples. It was nothing more than a bunch of hoops to go thorugh because it made me look like I was "approved" by some in the denomination. The proof of my ministry is not in the questions I answer, but in the disciples I made. Not one question was about my ministry over the years but strictly about doctrinal issues. I could have answered al of the questions correctly and not ever made one disciple of Jesus Christ and still been ordained.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I didn't intend to sidetrack the thread with my answer about ordination. I don't equate chaplains with a gospel singing group. My point was about the relationship between the singers and their church, and whether they should operate independently of their church.

Let's start another thread if one wants to debate the ordination of chaplains.

17. PeterM

PeterM Member

Absolutely!!! One of the greatest privileges of any church (and pastor for that matter) is to give your people away in a manner that blesses other churches. Resources and talents are not ment to be hoarded or kept, but shared with others.

I see no difference between this "hypothetical" situation and a real senario that involves a pastor/professor/preacher who is a member of one congregation and serves in other churches as they have need, even if that involves an interim position.

Can you say ANTIOCH!!!

#37 PeterM, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  18. donnA

donnA Active Member

male pastors counsel women in the church all the time, or are you suggesting we need female pastors too?
    This would violate scripture.
    And, we as the church of Jesus do not have the US millitary as biblical authority as to whats right and wrong, nor 'some denominations', but scripture alone. Poeple wish to violate scripture every day, and many of those are christians, who prefer to do life their way not God's.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

But you did say

And the part that isn't hypothetical?

20. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Type, backspace, type, backspace...

I typed that it was mostly a hypothetical after you insulted me. I went on to say that it was based slightly on my remembrance of my aunt and uncle----with all the rest of the story being made up by yours truly.

You can defend your insults, but that doesn't make it any less so.