1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Obama oops:"Any of us would be pretty angry." Why?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by redbelt, Jul 24, 2009.

1. redbelt

redbelt New Member

http://http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/harvard.gates.interview/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Can someone please explain to me why I should be angry at what happened?

1. A neighbor reports the possibility that two people might be breaking into my home. Would that make me angry?
    2. A police officer responds quickly and makes contact with the caller. Would that make me angry?
    3. The officer sees someone in my home and attempts to identify who it is in my home. Again... would that cause me to be angry?
    4. The officer is finally given something to identify the person in my home is ME and tells officer responding code 3 to slow down. He also contacts Harvard Police to come to the scene. Would that anger me?
    5. After the owner follows me out of the home yelling and calling me names, the officer warns ME to calm down and stop being disorderly. Am I angry that he gave me the opportunity to calm down and go back inside his own home? NO.

NOT UNLESS I'M ON DRUGS OR HAVE ANOTHER AGENDA....

2. redbelt

redbelt New Member

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Police do their job, investigate a breaking and entering, a man not being civil and decent acts with hostility, and they arrest him when he refuses to identify himself as the home owner. And they're called stupid for arresting him becasue he's black.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

When the police discovered who the owner was, they should have left. They didn't, therefore their stupid decision.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Attention to all posters: Robert is wiser than we are. And he knows everything about this case. There is nothing hidden from Robert. He knows and understands all. Therefore, we should defer to his superior reasoning and unparalleled wisdom.

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? What would have happened if an intruder was in the house with one of the professor's family members and told the professor to convince the police to leave, or he would kill the family member?

What would have happened if the police had left and someone had been there and hurt the professor or his family? Then, the police would be on the hook for it because they would have been negligent and, no doubt this nitwit would be on TV saying that the police just left because he's black and they don't take the safety of black citizens seriously.

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd be grateful. And if it happened when I still lived in New Castle Co, Delaware, I'd be shocked.

Obama is a fool. Clearly, he doesn't know or care what the facts are, he just wants to stir up animosity toward white people.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Evidently, you either haven't read the police report, or you have a reading comprehension problem.

You are factually incorrect. The police officer did leave and Gates kept yelling at him. Your stupid decision is that you continue to cling to your indefensible position.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert, this is a simple YES or NO question.

In this linked story the accused showed picture ID, and convinced the police that all was ok.

Question: Aren't you glad the police left as not "not wanting to get in the middle of a domestic argument "

SIMPLE YES OR NO!

Salty

ps - link may make you sick to the stomach

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Nope, by this point the man had already become hostile, a crime itself. He should have handled it better.
    You can't excuse crime based on color.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

This happens, but Robert doesn't care. The man was black and thats all that matters. Racist.

12. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Hostility has its various levels...... non of which make it acceptible social behavior and many of which is an area of free speach, protected by 1st ammendment regardless of social inappropriateness.... and therefore not all hostility is criminal: Obscene language and verbal abuse is subject to question.... and may be protected in some cases and held as criminally liable to charges and judgement in others. Tone of voice can be hostile but in itself is not criminal, but disturbing the peace of others and creating unnecessary alarm is. Threatening language should be taken seriously as precursor to do harm and is more serious and subject to criminal charges.

Who knows why the homeowner was hostile? Perhaps he was responding in part to his own personal embarassment and frustration over being locked out of his own home and having to break in to enter..... and finding himself and his own embarassment subject to an audience and suspicion with police in attendance. This is not an excuse..... but I've found that when people have a chance to clear of their emotional overload and focus on just what was the occassion for their emotions.... AND if they are willing to examine themselves.... they not only become more self aware and are able to learn from the experience BUT often find that their hostilities originated more in their own personal frustration and attitudes than from any outside pressure of persons who became the object of their hostility. The homeowner's own choice of language and abuse indicates that he has his own problems with racial prejudice. Many times the accussations that one levels at others in anger is actually a reflection of their own attitudes. That being said; I think there is no way to blame the police for doing their job and beligerant behavior on the part of the owner in response to their reasonable behavior was totally inappropriate: Many people have education, degrees, and posistion and yet their personal self awareness and control shows such a lack of development that they are little more than overated fools with childish like development or immature attitudes.

Regarding our President's reaction.....

I find it is so amazing that he can make such a prejudment before getting all the facts and create a situation where he gets involved in micromanagement in an area completely out of his jurisdiction..... and finds himself having to backpeddle after more facts are known.....

...... but yet rushes Congress with hundreds to thousands of pages of legislation to make quick decisions over matters pertaining to our own future and welfare without giving them time to thoughtfully review the legislation they will vote on! As well as he can side step other issues when people ask him questions.... and when they rephrase the questions... he gets away from the issue by saying he's already addressed that...... why can't he avoid these type of uneducated opinionations over trivial events.... at least until he knows more and is prepared with the facts: Even then, it should be rare that such a minor incident grabs his attention.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

we may never know, what we do know is, you can not act this way to cops. cops go out everyday in danger of their lives, and someone acts like this they have every right to be suspicious, and act accordingly. They guy simply responded incorrectly with cops, which he should not have done, especially since he was caught breaking in a house, that the cops weren't told was his house because he refused to identify himself, until he'd gotten himself in deeper trouble.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is right.:thumbsup: