1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another question for Calvinists

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

God says in His Word to avoid foolish and unlearned questions, that they cause strife, [personal attack edited]

Buh bye! :)

#101 preacher4truth, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  2. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Psa 94:11 The LORD knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity. Isa 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
    Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    Isa 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
    Isa 55:10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
    Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
    Isa 55:12 For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
    Isa 55:13 Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I am glad that we serve a God that is all wise and all powerful. As Paul wrote in Romans:

Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
    Rom 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
    Rom 11:35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
    Rom 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

Aren't you glad that God's ways are as far above man's ways as heaven is above the earth? God knows all, sees all, and is in control of all.

#103 Old Union Brother, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We would lack the ability to do otherwise, unless you believe it is possible to sin in heaven.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's evident: glorification. If he can make a sinful person into a sinless person, he obviously could have started with a sinless person (which he did) without permitting him to sin (which he did not do).

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We will be like God in that respect. He cannot sin either. There will also be no tempter in heaven and no sinful flesh to war with. Our choice is made on this side of heaven to love God or reject Him. In heaven we will do what we have freely chosen to do while on earth...to love God.

7. preacher4truth

No, when we reign with Him here on the new earth, He will perhaps explain why He chose us. :)

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why didn't God make a world without the Holocaust? I don't know.

Asking this kind of question of God is admittedly difficult, but the solution is not to believe in a weak "god."

9. preacher4truth

Amen! :godisgood:

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your will is free, then you should be able to choose against your influences (sinful nature, etc.).

11. preacher4truth

Yes, brother, I for one, am glad! :godisgood:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not sure of your point, but I freely chose to receive Christ as my Lord and Savior after He offered salvation to me.

13. preacher4truth

Have you thanked Him for making you capable of doing that?

:godisgood:

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::godisgood:

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course. I thank Him constantly for being God and tell Him that I'm glad there is no other.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your definition of love requires that a person be able to choose otherwise, then if one cannot choose to hate God in heaven then one cannot love in heaven.

I don't define love in this way, so I don't go along with it, but it's the logical extension of your previous statement.

And, regarding your description of free choice, even if the act of volition is free, it is contingent upon several outside factors (such as being born in a country with access to the gospel, being presented the gospel, the work of the Holy Spirit, etc.). You chose none of these factors.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Choosing to hate God in heaven makes no sense to me. Will you one day choose to hate your children or your wife? Love doesn't hate. You're whole argument makes no sense to me. I am unable to debate it.

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Stefan, huh?

Then does this mean that those without all the "access" to the gospel that we enjoy, are less loved by God?

19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it doesn't make sense.

You argued that love requires the ability to choose otherwise. I don't think that is the case. I do not believe I will have the ability to hate God in heaven. Of course, I do not believe one's will must be free in order to love.

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make the conclusion. Does God love the redeemed more than the damned? Is his covenant love distinct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.