1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Reminder of the Necessity of the Conservative Resurgence

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several years ago I sat in an associational meeting where a trio of pastors sang “In Christ Alone.” It’s a wonderful hymn, and I was excited to hear it sung in our meeting. That is until they got to the end of the second verse where the song—as written by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty—says, “‘Till on that cross as Jesus died, the wrath of God was satisfied.” I knew the song and was familiar with the lyrics. So you can imagine my shock when instead these three pastors sang, “Till on that cross as Jesus died, the love of God was magnified.” Of course there is nothing wrong with saying that the love of God was magnified on the cross. But I knew what was happening. The song had been adapted so as not to affirm penal substitution.

That was my first personal experience with Baptist pastors denying the substitutionary atonement of Jesus. Sadly, it was not the last.

Another Reminder of the Necessity of the Conservative Resurgence

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is worth recognizing that at least one, and perhaps all three, of the Southern Baptist pastor trio was uncomfortable with substitutionary atonement -- and that this happened after the Conservative Resurgence, since was "In Christ Alone" was copyrighted in 2001.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what your point is.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC has a history of modifying the words of hymns if they offend the sensitivity of Theological Liberals.

Isaac Watts wrote:

Alas! and did my Savior bleed
    And did my Sov’reign die?
    Would He devote that sacred head
    For such a worm as I?

But the Southern Baptist Hymnal reads:

For a sinner such as I.

I asked a pastor friend about it and he said "We are sinners, but not the wormy kind."

I just quoted Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

:)

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is the need for "eternal vigilance" against false doctrine. The Conservative Resurgence is not "once and done." According to Adam this was not just a case of these guys not knowing any better but "was [his] first personal experience with Baptist pastors denying the substitutionary atonement of Jesus."

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Watts, we are still worms when we sing it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good. Me too. And I sing extra loud on that phrase. :)

There are still hymn books available that have the original, non-revisionist, lyrics. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in 2013 I heard Alister Begg mention this subject. Apparently Townend and Getty now attend hischurch, and were approached by PCUSA who wanted to include In Christ Alone in their new hymn Book, but with the words altered as you report. After consulting with Begg, Townend and Getty refused permission and the hymn didn't go into the book.

So anyone singing the hymn with those words is actually breaking the copyright.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Resurgence? Check out what the first president of the SBC, W.B. Johnson, believed:

From the 2009 official history of SBTS regarding the Abstract of Principles:

Southern Baptist Seminary 1859-2009

"there was one other view prevailing among Southern Baptists...a 'moral government' view of Christ's death....Two prominent Southern Baptists held this view, William B. Johnson and Edwin Mims, Boyce's predecessor at Furman."

In preparing the Abstract, Basil Manley "attempted to accommodate the moral government view": the penal substitution and moral government views were not distinguished.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More on SBC founding president W.B. Johnson's moral government view of atonement:

books.google.com/books?id=N7NLAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA150

"Love Characteristic of the Deity," a sermon by W.B. Johnson since yanked from the Founders 'Ministries' website:

web.archive.org/web/19970726085145/founders.org/library/sermons/johnson.html

"The representation of Jehovah's love, explodes, therefore, that idea, which obtains among many, and which in their view forms a strong objection against the Gospel scheme, viz.: That it is inconsistent to say our salvation is purchased at the price of a full atonement, and yet a free pardon is proclaimed to the sinner."

"full atonement is perfectly consistent with free pardon; for it is not the payment of the sinner's debt on the principles of pecuniary or commercial justice, but a satisfaction to moral justice"

"It is the interest which the soul has in the benefits of the atonement that effects this deliverance; an interest that depends not upon the principle of atonement, but upon that by which it has been provided, and in which it originates, viz.: Love"