1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Another SBC Seminary President speaks..

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by McCree79, Dec 15, 2016.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another SBC Seminary President speaks on Calvinism and the SBC. Much different tone than another SBC Seminary President who spoke recently on the topic

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well spoken once again Dr. Mohler.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I liked the video as a whole, but really appreciated two of his points. The first is something I had not really considered, but I believe he is correct. The SBC is a denomination where such issues as election can be debated from within. This keeps theology, to an extent, alive in the Convention. The other point was at the end of the video. I never understood why some SBC members feel so strongly about ridding the Convention from the very position that those who founded the SBC held. Granted, the SBC was never comprised as a purely Calvinistic organization. Calvinism was never the test of fellowship. But the early leaders of the SBC were distinctly Calvinists and they were the ones who led the Convention through very difficult times and diverse situations.

And these Calvinists (e.g., W.B. Johnson, R.B. C. Howell) led the early SBC without dogmatically imposing their views on the denomination. The irony is that the SBC, under Calvinistic leadership, enjoyed the liberty of doctrine that the anti-Calvinists are trying to preserve by attacking that liberty. It just doesn't make sense.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of the SBC founders were calvinists, but not Reformed, correct?

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I remember correctly, Lutherans coined "Calvinism" while Calvin prefered"Reformed". It meant the same thing for so long ..to some... who knows. They seem to have considered themselves Baptists mostly.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Testimony from a real SBC Founder about what most Southern Baptists believed:

From James B. Taylor's (the first Secretary of the Foreign Mission Board of the SBC) work Virginia Baptist Ministers, written in the 1850s:

https://books.google.com/books?id=nC43AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA289

"the view now generally adopted by the Baptists [is] that the atonement is general in its nature"

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC Founder R. B. C. Howell, 1846:

"Neither can we submit to be classed with those who, after casting off some of the shackles of Catholicism, denominated themselves Reformed churches. We call not our churches reformed, because we believe them no better than their predecessors. . . .we are not Protestants, nor Dissenters, Lutherans, Calvinists, Arminians, nor Reformers, but what we have been in all ages, the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ."

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dl0wAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA251

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a good point (and was my initial point).

I should have said that the first SBC presidents were Calvinists, not the entire leadership (and certainly not all of the churches). For example, the first two SBC presidents held Calvinistic views of salvation. We can read Howell's arguments against hyper-Calvinism (the anti-missions movement) where he presents their error as a misapplication of correct doctrine. Or we can read of their concerns over the influence of the Methodist Church (which was the largest denomination at that time).

We don't need to change history to discover that the SBC consisted of both Calvinists and non-Calvinists from it's start.

My point was that these men did not discriminate against those who opposed their understanding insofar as Calvinism goes. But it does seem that some SBC members and leaders are anti-Calvinistic (they do desire to discriminate against those who hold the position). And the reason they seem to want to discriminate is to protect the Convention against some kind of take over. It's ironic, that's all.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Howell was a strong supporter of the Baptist church as being the "true Church". He opposed Grave's Landmarkism because he seemed to present it as going too far (concerning an appropriate view of denominations). But he really held the same basic view.

So he did not see Baptists as being Protestant. I agree, Howell (and Graves) would not call themselves Reformed. If that is the issue (not the doctrine but the name) then I really don't see what the fuss is about. Just call it something else.

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One of the reasons why I left an SBC church. The pastor, the association all missionary and even the state director thought that Calvinists were the enemy and the worst thing to happen.
    That and some other things made me walk away from it all.

I go to a church a different church now. The pastor was executive director of Grace To You for years. DEFINITELY Calvinistic.

SBC is too much of a mess. I'm tired of it. I will never go back.

Glad that Mohler is still out there offering some food for thought.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To my understandin, Most Baptists would regard calvinism as meaning we hold to a Reformed Sotierology viewpoint, but Reformed means also accept Covenant Thology!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists should NEVER bash on Calvinism/Arminion theologies, as part of our distinctiveness is freedom to believe!

#12 Yeshua1, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever read "The Covenants" by Howell? It's an interesting book from the perspective of the SBC's early leadership on the topic.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I have not even eof that book, wa he into Covenant thology?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't go to the SBC as a church. It is a convention. I attend a church that is Southern Baptist by association. It is very biblical, affirms Gods sovereignty without allowing soteriology to dictate its existance. I am a Calvinist (using Y1's definition) and they teach what I believe.

I understand you to be saying participation in the SBC cooperative program and affirming the SBC statement of faith disqualifies a local church from your consderation. Is it that you believe the SBC should dictate local church doctrine or that you think such disagreement within our association of churches should be discouraged?

16. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No. I can't support leadership that says that Calvinists are the enemy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. That's one reason I attend the church I attend. I won't support leadership that says other Christians are our enemies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also hope the leadership would point out that there are false so called christian teachings such a WOF/Health/wealth, latter Day rain /domenion trying to get into the ranks!

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do. I attend a SBC church so my leaders are members of my church. As a Baptist and a Southern Baptist, church leadership does not extend beyond the local church. This is why I can rejoice that those vocally opposed to Calvinistic or non-Calvinistic views can express their beliefs freely while remaining under the SBC banner. Many denominations would not tolerate such freedoms.

And if the SBC became intolerant of the view my church holds on the issue, that would not be an issue either. We just wouldn't be "SBC". But we would be the same church.

What I am saying is that it should be the church, not an affiliation with a convention, that determines whether or not membership should be considered. Within the SBC I have found great churches and not so great churches. I have seen Calvinism, Arminianism, anti-Calvinism, and hyper-Calvinism. I saw one that approached open theism. My point is that using SBC affiliation to acrept or reject a church may not be the wisest decision

20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, let's not cry "victim"...Calvinists are also known to say that anyone who says they "believed on the Lord" without first being regenerated is guilty of a works based salvation. That doesn't help unity either. I also know some calvinists that say if you don't believe in the doctrines of grace you are preaching another gospel. That doesn't help unity either.

• Agree Agree x 2