1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anti-Christian Message of movie Gladiator w/ R. Crowe

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bismarck, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

(1) According to the (excellent) documentary, Faith Unconquered: Roman Persecutions of Early Christians, Emperor Marcus Aurelius actively persecuted Christians — and, conversely, his son and successor Commodus ended all such active persecutions, under the influence of his Christian slave mistress.

CONCLUSION: From a Christian perspective, Commodus was certainly a huge improvement over Marcus Aurelius.

(2) In the movie Gladiator, the main hero character (Maximus) is seen worshipping and kissing small figurines as he prays to his ancestors. And Marcus Aurelius is glorified even as Commodus is portrayed as the arch-enemy.

CONCLUSION: Hollywood glorifies IDOLATRY and PERSECUTORS of CHRISTIANS — and villifies those who were helpful to Christians.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most assuredly!!

Virtually everything I've seen from Hollywierd that has a "Christian" in it, depicts the Christian as a complete idiot on the verge of needing psychiatric care, some kind of a simpleton with the IQ of a mule, or a devious villan just using the Christian label as a cloak for his evilness.

If their depiction of the character of a Christian were correct, I sure would not want to be labeled as one.

And this is the image that the vast majority of this country's citizens see as reality, hence the derision of same by so many.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent points and observation both from history and the contemporary scene of mass media entertainment.

But one day the world will have to eat their words (or pictures) and glorify God:

1 Peter 2
    11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
    12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
    13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
    14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
    15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:
    16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

HankD​

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Why am I not surpised that Hollywood maligns and misrepresents honest Bible-believing Christians?

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

True, and sad! I don't know how "big" the film "Amazing Grace" is in the States. It came out earlier this year, and was supposed to portray something of the life of the 19th Century Member of Parliament, William Wilberforce, in this year, the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave-trade here, largely a result of his campaigning. He was helped by John Newton, who wrote "Amazing Grace". Newton is portrayed in the film as some kind of a hermit, sweeping the chapel floor.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

meh, it's a movie. I really enjoyed it and can look past some attempts to add different spin and enjoy the great story behind it.

btw...has anyone seen the deleted scenes on the DVD?

7. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Yeah, it's a movie, but it's just one more little thing that makes Christians look like outsiders, kooks, fools, or even dangerous.
    It always bothered me the way they portrayed Ned Flanders on The Simpsons. At best, he was a push over, a mealy mouthed fool, and later he was a little crazy, too. His kids were portrayed as nerds, totally uncool, and the wife was some kind of Stepford wife. Christianity is shown on this show as a religion for suckers.
    Now they're showing a toilet paper commercial, with Handel's "Hallelujah" playing as the bears run to do their business.
    It all adds up to one big negative stereotype!

love,

Sopranette

update: I just emailed P&G about my concerns about using this song for their toilet paper ad. Something I've been doing for years..contacting companies and calling them out on their sloppy standards, when I encounter them. Yes, I'm one of "those" people! If I don't, who will? Most of the time they are totally unaware of what people's perceptions of their products are, and are grateful for the feedback.

#7 Sopranette, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2007
  8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    why does the movie show a negative stereotype of Christians when there are no christians in it?

Both Marcus Aurelius and Commodus were pagans. Just because one supposedly had a christian mistress in his harem doesn't make him a Christian or even playing one.

I completely agree with you about how Christians are portrayed on tv and in movies. We are the punch lines in jokes. But Gladiator had nothing to do with Christianity.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't underestimate the power of persuasion in a drama.

I think back to the movie, The Blue Max, and can remember my feelings.

For those who didn't see it, it's a movie about WWI aviation from the German point of view.

Well into the flick, I found myself pulling for the Germans when they were dogfighting the Brits.

Once I realized what I was doing, I began to think long and hard about the effects of any media on a person's thoughts and conclusions.

So, yes, it's just a movie, but the connotations it displays whether positive or negative can take root in your mind to crop up later in unexpected fashion.

Remember Paul talking about how some sow, others water etc? Well that principle is certainly not limited to the Gospel!!!

Or, in the computer lingo, GIGO!

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

It is easy for hollywood to mock Christians. First of all they don't have the first clue what a real Christian is supposed to look or act like.Second Christians do not do well representing or defending thier position.
    We as Christians are supposed to love one another. Our answer for hollywood to see is 5,000 different denominations who fight and bicker among themselves. We go the full spectrum from totally liberal to totally self righteous.With all of these choices and them trying to make the entertainmnt buck ,what directions do you think they would go?
    Most Christians do not know the first thing about Bible doctrine and can't even spell apologetic.Most have never witnessed to anyone,won anybody over to Christ,or discipled thier first convert.Why? One ,they don't know how,there is nobody to teach them. The pastor does'nt know how,he never witnessed to anybody himself, how would he teach personal evangelism?They don't know how to make a defense for the faith. Why? They don't know how . Nobody to teach them or even make them aware of what or how they are to do it.About half of the pulpits in America are being filled by men and women who do not even think the Bible is
    god's infallible Word.What in the world do these folks have to teach anybody about God or anything else. Is it any wonder hollywood has such an easy time having a go at us?:BangHead:

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Lord help you if you should discuss your beliefs at work! I got into a debate with a young man about Mary and if she really was a virgin when she was pregnant with our Lord. He was so sceptical, to say the least! But over the months, he asked dozens of questions, and I think he was coming around to really believing. I also struck up a friendship with a young lady about the imminent return of Christ, all on the "down low". She was so glad to meet someone else who shared her secret beliefs. We had long discussions about the second coming, and she was really into the "Left Behind" series (not something I'm into). But others viewed me as a sort of religious freak! The higher ups viewed me as a kook, maybe even dangerous, maybe someone who was going to go on a killing spree at any time! Sad but true.

love,

Sopranette

12. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I saw Gladiator and don't remember it being a "message" film.

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Uh...folks....Gladiator came out 7 years ago or so.

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

and

Yeah this is where I'm at. Come one, there are better things to talk about than a movie that had no major emphasis on anything religious. (I do believe there are spiritual themes we can appropriate but that is about it.)

If you want a movie that truly distorts Christianity check out the Left Behind stuff...crazy ;)