1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any Baseball history buffs out there?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by ChurchBoy, Sep 3, 2003.

1. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Just wanted to start a baseball history thread. I LOVE baseball history, especially the Dead Ball Era (Honus Wagner is my favorte).

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does watching Field of Dreams count? :rolleyes:

BTW, had an elderly deacon with the first name of Lajoie - parents evidently were baseball fans way back then, too! :D

3. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Can you name some of the old-time ballplayers, other than Shoeless Joe Jackson, that "came back" to play baseball in Iowa?

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Doc Anderson wasn't there???

5. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I think Eddie Cicotte was the pitcher. In real life, he played for the Red Sox and White Sox, and was nicknamed "Knuckles." I believe that he, in reality, was a knuckleball pitcher. He wasn't the one who knocked down Archie, because Cicotte was one of the ones who was banned for life after 1919. I would imagine that Chick Gandil and Swede Risburg were also there. Everyone remembers Shoeless Joe, but Eddie Cicotte was an excellent pitcher. I wonder if he would have made the Hall of Fame had he not been banished from the game.

They mention Ty Cobb, but he wasn't out on the playing field...

6. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

The were other players there who were not members of the ChiSox. There was Moonlight Graham. When he arrived with Ray Kinsella he mentioned Smooky Joe Wood and Mel Ott by name.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Chisholm, Minn., two $500 scholarships are given each year in the name of Moonlight Graham, who spent 50 years as a doctor in the town after playing a half inning in one major league baseball game and never getting to bat. In the movie, Graham comes back as a young player and gets that chance to face a major league pitcher.

The scholarships are funded through the sale of Moonlight Graham baseball cards. Sales spike every time the movie is shown, said Mike Kalibabky, who oversees fund raising.