1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Any one else think I slandered the Niv here?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you keep refusing the truth that the translators did indeed allow the critics of male biased bible version pressure them to revise in refletion of allowing for a more feminist viewpoint?

"C. Authors of Biblical books, even while writing Scripture inspired by the Holy Spirit, unconsciously reflected in many ways, the particular cultures in which they wrote. Hence in the manner in which they articulate the Word of God, they sometimes offend modern sensibilities. At such times, translators can and may use non-offending renderings so as not to hinder the message of the Spirit.

D. The patriarchalism (like other social patterns) of the ancient cultures in which the Biblical books were composed is pervasively reflected in forms of expression that appear, in the modern context, to deny the common human dignity of all hearers and readers. For these forms, alternative modes of expression can and may be used, though care must be taken not to distort the intent of the original text.

The same committee wrote, in the Preface to the 1996 revision published in Great Britain, that they believed “it was often appropriate to mute the patriarchalism of the culture of the biblical writers through gender-inclusive language when this could be done without compromising the message of the Spirit” (p. vii) "
    The 2011 Revision of the NIV
    by Michael Marlowe, August 2011

http://www.bible-researcher.com/versions.html

#121 Yeshua1, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it is not the truth. That's why. Read the words of Doug Moo,the head of the NIV team as I quoted on another thread minutes ago.

Truth is very imporant,especially as believers in the Lord. You apparently think you are at liberty to slander and get away with it. I will not allow you to.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. You do not have any say in it.
    2. He has not done that. You accusation has gone over the top. Your offense is based on an unrealitic love for that translation or any other. Let's get a grip.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon seems to have starte dthe NIVO 2011 group here, to go along with our KJVO friends!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well pardon me. I do.

An untruth;even slander is okay with you. You have indicated that before. To me it's a big deal because he'sa professing Christian.

I'd rather be gripped by truth. To you truth is no big deal.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh no...You do not. You have no control over what he posts. You will just have to live with it.

He believes it to be true whether you do or not. You are misrepresenting his position by calling it slander. Even if what he says in not true that does not make it slander. I know this, he knows this, and you know this. Therefore every time you say he is slandering you are intentionally misrepresenting him. Your words are over the top, unnecessary and unChristian.

You are not worried about truth. You are worried about criticism of your idol the NIV. You need to repent and worship only God.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the truth is that while the Niv 2011 is still the word of god to us in english form, the 1984 edition was better for chrsitians to study with, and MANY have reservations about new edition, based upon seeming to be in the process of rewriiting the bible to accomodate more of a feminist statndard, or at least a more current culturally bias!

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course I have no control over what he posts;that's a given. But I will not "just have to live with it." I repeat,he's a professing Christian as you are. Christians are not enjoined to lie according to the Scripture. Among other things it is a bad testimony. Multitudes of non-Christian folks look at these posts maybe through google search;and then come across lies which they take for granted as factual. I have endeavored to put him under the light.I want to expose him and his falsehoods.

What kind of relativistic,left-wing garbage is that?"Believes it to be true."Come on. Are you from the faction that says:"Well,that's truth for him. It may not be truth for me. But it's okay." Wise up. Scripture up.

There you go lying.

And you speak of me going over the top. You are disgraceful. I wish you could see your sin.

#128 Rippon, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you have trouble spelling,but please! It's God;not god.

You are filled with misinformation.

You are just repeating your false charaterizations over and over again.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to stop this false accusation. Even if he is wrong does not mean it is a lie.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think many conservatives have had problems with the Niv 2011 revision, large part due to their change in how they rendered some gender passages?

Do you think all of them were slandering and lying?

If I was and am, then whole lotta others have been!

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. But it was mainly due to the actions of the CMBW,the SBC resolution and the continuing efforts of Wyne Grudem,Leland Ryken and the Baly brothers(who really are out of their minds) to name the most prominent.

No,not all. But the misinformation campaign has been rather pervasive.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    this is really just a difference of opinions between scholars, as some supported the revision, others adament against it, right?

Do you think it was mainly the Esv group trying to make the Miv look bad, to boost their bible version?

And it is true that conservative churches/Chrsitians have had the most problem with it, right?

#133 Yeshua1, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scholarship on the NIV side is decidely superior.Do you seriously want to consider the SBC's resolution in the least scholarly? But the ardor of the pro-ESV/anti-NIV group is marked by an unwillingness to be objective.They ascribe motives to the NIV team which are categorically denied yet the anti-crowd persists in thier search and destroy mission.

Undeniably.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't lie.

Yes it is. A lie,is a lie,is a lie.

The Y-man is an inveterate liar.He was banned twice. He went under the moniker :"JesusFan" when he first joined the BB on 1/4/2011. Then he swiched to" DaChaser1" until he was banned. Now he goes under his current alias.He joined the Baptist Board with his current new name on 3/19/2012.

All three are from Mich. All three are with a NAB church. All three are in financial services,whether as a loan "counseler",or collector or such. All three names ask a lot of questions and start a multitude of threads with badly worded inquiries. Yep they are one and the same person. The Yes-man is no stranger to falsehood.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh no...a lie is intentionally giving misinformation. Error is being wrong but believing you are right. Not sure why this has to be explained.

17. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Brother Rippon, I debated much about making this post. Why should I bother joining a fight, rather than standing on the side lines and watching. No I don't want black eyes and bruises. Avoiding them is the easy way out.

In my opinion, as a watcher of this fight, you are destroying your testimony to our Lord and Saviour.

You know as well as I do there are many who do not like what's being done to the NIV. Very creditable people. Yes, if memory serves, a battle was fought in England, with the first testing of the waters for gender neutral.

Is the Holy Spirit leading you to cry liar, liar, liar regardless of his history of membership at BB? Have you ever spoken a lie since you became my brother? Even those little white lies sometimes spoken with the intent of helping another brother in his time of need. -- "No, it doesn't hurt bad." when he smashed my finger with a hammer.

Have you ever spoken what you believed to be the truth to only learn later that you were in error? I can't speak for anyone except myself. I know I have done so in the past. And will probably do so in the future as there is still so much to learn before God calls me home.

If you cannot say no to both of those questions, should others be calling you liar, liar, liar based on your history?

I often disagree with his opinions, just as I often disagree with your OPINIONS. Please tell me where in the scriptures, including the NIV2011, where we are to show such disrespect, as you've shown here, towards another professing member of the body of Christ.

Brother, you are not a child shouting Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire on a kids playground. Please consider the impact of the fruit you are bearing on your testimony to our Lord. There are others on the sidelines watching this fight as well. Some who may turn away from the One because there's too much bitter fruit.

18. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said! :applause:

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon, if you jave ANY questions regarding those situations that you listed here, PLEASE personally senda private message to me, as there were migigating circumstances that caused those to happen, and I have been fully accepted and cleared bythe Adminstartors and moderaturs of the baptist Board, but PLEASE send me a reply if this concerns you!