1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone here observe Lent, etc?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I do not. The sole authority for all matters of faith and practice is the word of God - the Bible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So what exactly is this "Reformed" faith tradition? Are you not just a regular Baptist but a "Reformed" Baptist? Is there a difference?

3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Reformed Baptist" is the American equivalent of English Particular Baptists. The main difference between Reformed/Particular Baptists and most other Baptists is the issue of predestination and election. Reformed/Particular Baptists state their beliefs quite clearly in the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith. John Bunyan (Pilgrim's Progress) and Benjamin Keach were notable Particular Baptists. So was the great English preacher Charles Haddon Spurgeon.

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ah hah! A true rebel, I like that! (LOL). I will say at the outset here, and in all seriousness, that I do indeed respect your belief's concerning your Christian faith journey.

And who came up with those sacraments, those holy things designed to help us live a holy and pleasing life for God? Why no one other than God Himself!

Amen to that brother!

Yes, that is true and the Catholic Church teaches that. But you also have your clergy, an ordained person who exists to lead you in your walk with God and you call him your "Pastor". We also have our ordained person and call him a "Priest". They are both shepherds of their flock here on earth, no?

Well, we Catholics and our Eastern Orthodox brothers beg to differ with you here and we do not run afoul of the scriptures you cited earlier.

I'm not seeing any unnecessary baggage. There is a lot of liberty in the Catholic faith tradition and other than the core beliefs that must be adhered to, the individual is free to not believe or participate in many other things that exist within it's walls.

5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well thank you, I will read what you have outlined and I have heard of Mr. Spurgeon before. An interesting tidbit for you is that I just read a book concerning the years when ships of sail roamed the oceans and the person (the Captain) who wrote it made a reference to hearing Mr. Spurgeon preach and that he was pretty impressed at what he had to say.

#125 Adonia, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  6. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see 32 titles, but nothing on "pre-destination". Is it listed within one of the titles?

7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What rites are you talking about? I asked specifically what parts of Lent are not found within regular worship in Scripture. So far, neither you nor @Reformed has shown any.

8. Ran the Man

Ran the Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we Baptists don't do sola scriptura, no matter what we say. We use commentaries, Sunday school literature, and books from the local Christian bookstore.
    Some Baptists use Calvin's Institutes like it's Watchtower literature.
    Sola scriptura? Zondervan would go bankrupt.

9. Ran the Man

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church wrote the NT, not the NT wrote the Church. You Calvinists are practicing Chrislam.
    Stop worshipping the Bible.

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read chapter 3 and 10. I do not want this to turn into a discussion on predestination and election because it will completely derail the thread. If you want to discuss it further it deserves its own thread.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then leave .... go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep missing the point. You are not tired of that yet? I said Lent is not found in scripture, not its parts. If the whole is not there, why are you looking for its crumbs? I put the onus on you to show me the positive command in scripture to observe Lent. Where is it?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squeaky clean more like an abomination

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We emulate the "Lord's supper" as best we can, same as we emulate Jesus as best we can. We know we can't even begin to emulate Jesus completely, as He is God & we are not, but we can still do our best.

And remember, Jesus said to observe the Lord's Supper, but He never said a word about Lent, which is wholly man-made.

16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And Jesus said we are to observe the Lord's Supper in a particular manner and to use the correct elements, and if we don't it is false (as you so clearly wrote earlier in response #8 with your words: "If it's not in Scripture, it's man-made and false"). So much for you folks and following the Scriptures as written. I guess that plank in your own eye is way too big to remove as you see the speck of wood in mine.

#136 Adonia, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  17. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's right! Fasting and almsgiving are in the Scriptures and if people want to do those things during a special 40 day period that coincides with the centuries old practice of recognizing the death and resurrection of the Savior, there is not one iota of such a thing being anti-biblical.

What they are trying to peddle is something akin to saying that it would be somehow anti-biblical to have a worship service outside instead of inside a church. There is no specific command for worship to happen out of doors, so according to them that would be wrong too.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 10:30 AM Pacific.

19. Ran the Man

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll stay. You leave.

20. Ran the Man

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont accuse me of not being a Baptist again. It's not a Christian of you. And it's incorrect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.