1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Apocalyptic as literary genre and interpreting Revelation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find this to be reductionist. According to J. Barton Payne (not a dispensationalist), the Olivet Discourse and parts of 1 & 2 Thess. are apocalyptic (Encyclopedia of Biblical Prophecy, p. 84). Understanding genre is important in any book of the Bible. You wouldn't interpret an epistle like a Gospel, so remember the genre when interpreting Rev. and other apocalyptic books and passages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a bit of a drive-by shooting of Covenant Theology. The fact is that Revelation alludes to a vast number of O.T. texts, of which many but by no means all are from Daniel or Ezekiel. By tracing these, not only do the O.T. texts shed light on Revelation but also on occasion, vice versa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, no, it's a generally accepted hermeneutic principle of CT and NCT. What you are describing here is not what I mean. You are talking about interpreting the NT from the quotes of the OT, which is valid.

“NCT follows the error of classic Covenant Theology in subordinating the Old Covenant to the new” (Larry Pettegrew, “The New Covenant and New Covenant Theology,” TMSJ, Fall 2007, p. 195).

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did too, and it made perfect sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a theological discussion, such labels are unhelpful. It is necessary to read the Scriptures & seek to understand them, not to label them.

"Reductionist" implies a straightforward understanding as far as possible, while "apocalyptic" implies prophetic, but those terms do not define whole books, only passsages within books.

The great tendency of covenant theology is to see the whole of Scripture, the whole of God's revelation to man, in terms of an everlasting/eternal covenant relationship, made by the Father, realised by the Son as our covenant surety, and applied by the Holy Spirit.

The elect in all ages/dispensations are "my people" with the relationship "you will be my people, and I will be your God."

Of course God's revelation is progressive.

No. I don't consider "understanding genre" to be of importance, genre follows reading & understanding the Scriptures as written. In over 60 years of Bible study I haven't felt the need for genre. And I don't like the use of "interpret" as it implies that straightforward understanding is inadequate. Of course we can ask the meaning/interpretation of parables, but interpreting is generally making something different from what is written - such as dreams.

Covenant theology is NOT an error. Covenant theology, which defines our relationship with God, is a thread running through all Scripture. This may be best discussed in the Covenant theology thread.

6. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That surely counts as TWO important things.

And arguing the semantics is what this thread has degenerated into. Semantics isn't doctrine.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    9 Here is the mind that hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth:
    10 and they are seven kings; the five are fallen, the one is, the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a little while. Rev 17

Five of the heads were HISTORY at the time of the writing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like you've been using the label "preterism" on some threads. Unhelpful? :)
    Actually, "apocalyptic" does indicate the whole book of Rev. according to 1:1.
    And again, a label--covenant theology. Other than that, I'm really not sure what point you are making here vis a vis my own post.
    So, you don't read letters as letters and Gospels as Gospels and Acts as history? Those are genres, specifically indicated to be so in Scripture. In fact, the Greek title of Revelation is Ἀποκάλυψις, or Apocalypse, as stated so in Rev. 1:2, which is a clear statement of genre.

Now, your 60 years of Bible study are admirable, but they give no authority whatsoever (especially here on the BB), and no guarantee that you are right. So frankly, if I were you, I wouldn't mention it again. ;)

As far as using the word "interpret," to not use it is ridiculous. You have been interpreting ever since you came on the BB.
    Yes, CT is in error. It postulates 2 (or 3, depending on the interpreter) covenants which are taught nowhere in the Bible.

And no, I have no desire to post on the thread you mention, and I find it supercilious of you to suggest it.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John; Rev 1

Yea, and to shortly come to pass also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 1:1--"The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God"--genre!

Rom. 16:22--"I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord."--genre!

Rev. 1:1--"The Revelation of Jesus Christ"--GENRE!!

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev 1:1 -- "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass" -- TIME INDICATOR!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically, then, Revelation and Daniel (along with other passages) "speak the same language" and the genre is developed through scripture (not dependent on extra-biblical symbolism or literature of the time)?

Why I ask is the way D.A. Carson worded a few comments in his lectures. He mentions John's use of the literary genre to communicate in a way that would be clearly received by the immediate audience because they were familiar with apocalyptic literature (as it was a common genre of the culture). The question then (for me) is how much of the symbolism is prophetic vision and how much is John communicating through a literary genre (realizing either way that it is all of God). The difference (in my mind) would be the immediacy of the message (to the original audience) as opposed to a message leaning more towards a dictation (John writing what he saw without articulating it into a specific form). Or is it both?

I'm finding it hard to word the question, so you have my apology if I'm being unclear (it is not intentional).

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, just one. Think about it.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From my POV, what is happening here is the topic under consideration is being discussed from two different sets of presuppositions. And if not presuppositions, then two different models are being used.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev 1:19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

"The things which thou hast seen." The things in the past.

"The things which are." The things in the present.

"The things which shall be hereafter." The things in the future."

There are your TIME INDICATORS for the Revelation.

Greek μετὰ ταῦτα meta tauta - means “after these things.” The expression refers to future times. The most natural interpretation, however, would seem to be, that it would stretch far into future years, and that it was designed to give at least an outline of what would be the character of the future in general.

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What so many fail to realize is that both Preterism and Dispensationalism are hermeneutical frameworks that are used to understand the scriptures. There will never be a consensus between two people who are using different hermeneutical frameworks to understand their bibles.

The Preterist hermeneutical framework forces the reader to understand that John was exiled early (even though it is clearly wrong) and that all of the extraordinary things mentioned in the Revelation have already happened (even though it is absurd to think so) including those things will be seen by every eye. This hermeneutic also denies any future for Israel, and denies they were and are God's chosen people through whom came the Messiah who still have a future in God's Perfect Plan.

The Dispensationalist hermeneutical framework, on the other hand, forces the reader to see a parenthesis for the entire present age, and not seeing the connection of Spiritual Israel and the Church as being a single entity. This hermeneutic makes it difficult for the Dispensationalist to see the Old Testament promises made to (Spiritual) Israel as they were being fulfilled in the Church.

Then there are people like me (you know, the guys who are right) who see the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Kingdom. Meets my requirement of KISS. :D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it seems that the Preterist framework would be extracted from the book (even if in error, an error of interpretation of Revelation itself) while the Dispensational framework is imposed (it doesn't originate with the book). Or am I missing something?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is dream literature. Therefore, full of symbolism. Therefore, researching into elucidating dreams and symbolism therein would be paramount.

“...it is only since the end of the nineteenth century that modern psychology...[has] proved empirically the existence of a psyche outside consciousness” (Carl Jung, Aion, Researches into the Phenomenology of the Self, pp. 5-6).

“But if the analyst who is confronted by this dream material uses Freud's original technique of 'free association,' he finds that dreams can eventually be reduced to certain basic patterns” (Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols, p. 26).
    Quite often, the Bible elucidates its own symbols, though. Other times, it does not, and I would highly recommend reading Freud and Jung.

"The poets and philosophers before me discovered the unconscious; what I discovered was the scientific method by which the unconscious can be studied" (Sigmund Freud). ​

19. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah...Dispensationalism isn't imposed...

20. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never heard of Larry Pettegrew in my life, and on the basis of that quote, I am not too troubled. NCT devotees can speak for themselves, but Covenant Theology finds unity throughout the Bible. Christ is the key that opens the whole Bible (Colossians 1:24-29) and an understanding of the covenants is essential to understanding just how the key works from Genesis to Revelation.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.