1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apologetix?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't think you can say there is "good and bad in all musical styles." "All" is a big word. There are some musical styles with no redeeming qualities, and the list of those musical styles with no Christian benefit is larger yet.

The local church context is important, but the principles are the same in every context. They may get applied differently.

2. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, but in an entirely different context.

3. tenor

tenor New Member

Gekko,

I haven't had a chance to listen to these parodies. I'm generally not a fan of this type of parody, but they can be very effective and possibly reach a segment of society or sub-group that would not listen to a traditional approach.

I believe Christians should create new art and not simply borrow from the world. In the 70s there was the Coke "It's the real thing" commercial - churches and parachurch groups soon picked it up. It was a fad that continues to this day.

To quote the Apostle Paul, "If Christ be preached..."

I have used secular songs in worship when they fit the context and theme of the service. Some examples: "You've Got a Friend," "Shower the People," even "The Impossible Dream."

I wrap this up by saying, this may not be for me, but if ministry is happening, go for it!

Tim

4. tenor

tenor New Member

Which musical styles have no redeeming qualities to you? I admit, I don't like some, but I can find good in all musical styles. By good I mean quality in production, peformance and writing. Many times I use the style as my guide.

5. tenor

tenor New Member

Yes, but in an entirely different context. </font>[/QUOTE]PLease share with me the different context. So this statement only applies to one time in one place?

6. gekko

gekko New Member

here's the lyrics to one of their songs:

Parody of “The Real Slim Shady" originally performed by Eminem

May I have your repentance please?
    May I have your repentance please?
    Will you tell Him "Save me" and please stand up?
    I repeat ... will you tell Him "Save me" and please stand up?
    We're gonna have to prophet here
    Y'all act like you never seen a nice person before
    You oughta hope in the Lord
    Your panting tongue is just thirstin' for more
    You started lookin' around searchin' cause you're
    Uncertain you're sure you know where you're goin' eternally
    If you return to God ... ah, wait, no, wait, we're sinning
    We couldn't get saved with the things we did, can we?
    And Dr. J. says -- nothing you did is such a grave sin
    It costs you salvation
    Ha Ha — Heavenly livin’s above every man
    "Chick-a-chick-a-chick-a he's crazy!
    I'm sick of them ‘born agains’
    Walkin' around askin' if you know God — speakin’ of You Know Who
    Yeah, but there's no proof though"
    Yeah, probably got a couple of you who think I lack proof
    But no worse than what's goin' on in America's classrooms
    Sometimes I wanna get on TV and just spread the truth
    But can't -- but the school can tell me we come from evolution
    "My mama was a fish -- my mama was a fish"
    "And if we're monkeys you might as well forget original sin!"
    And that's the message that we deliver to little kids
    And expect them not to question on their own if God exists
    Of course they're gonna wonder if the Lord's fake
    By the time they hit fourth grade
    They got the Easter Bunny and Santa don't they?
    We ain't shinin' examples
    Well some of the scandals are caused by people posin' as evangelists
    But if Jesus loved His enemies and Pharisees
    Then there's no reason that you can't get another chance and believe
    But if you feel a slight chill -- I got the anti-freeze
    This is not a fantasy -- it's important and it's free
    I've sinned greatly, but Christ's for real, baby
    It's a wonder He saved me and just didn't hate me
    So won't you tell Him "Save me"
    Please stand up, please stand up, please stand up
    Yes, I've been crazy, yes, I've been real shady
    Always wanted Him to save me, but just didn't say it
    Will Smith don't gotta discuss the Christian path to salvation
    Well, I do -- it affects him and affects you too
    You think I give a care if he likes my parodies
    Half of you kiddies won't even look at me, let alone stare at me
    But J., what if we pray? Wouldn't we be weird?
    Why? Would you guys reject Christ just to fit with your peers
    So you can live in fear for the next 60 years
    This ain't imaginary better get prepared
    The price of sin yes it costs us dearly with death first
    And when that part is over if you ain't saved it gets even worse
    Little chance they'll put me now on MTV
    Yeah, it's true, but I think he'd scare all the kids -- ree ree!
    I said now's when they oughta know and John 3:3
    It shows the whole world how they need born again to be free
    I'm singin' you little girls and boys spoofs
    All you do is ignore me
    Though I have been sent here to inform you
    And there's a million of us just like me you judge like me
    Were just like triple fudge ice cream; we're just quite sweet
    You watch Saul in Acts 9:3
    You just might see you're just like him -- You're not fightin' me
    I've sinned greatly, but Christ He still saved me
    From a hundred temptations and death, sin and Hades
    Yes, my sinned shamed me, yet I've been healed lately
    God the Father forgave me from messin' with Satan
    I'm like a breath mint you listen to but I'm only givin' you
    Things you thought about in your head with my religious group
    The only difference is I got the call to say it in front of y'all
    And I don't gotta be Paul -- the Book I quote has it all
    I just get out a Bible and read it and whether you like it you need it
    As sure as I can see that better than 90 percent of you happen to doubt me
    Then you wonder how can kids give up their values I tell you it's funny
    Cause at the place I'm goin' when I'm buried
    I'll see the only person in the world I know who’s worthy
    He's the first and last and I'm J. Jackson I'm the worst
    And I'm a jerk and Jesus knows that but my braggin' wasn't workin'
    And every single person needs a sin savior urgently
    You could be working on a burglary or sittin' in a nunnery
    Or keepin' part of the law perfectly screamin' "I don't sin that much"
    Puttin' Christians down sayin' "It's just a crutch"
    So if you're still waiting please stand up
    Cause this wonderful singer's time is eaten up
    And it's time to get off your behind and out of the row
    Come on down -- now is your chance -- how do I know?
    CHORUS
    I guess there’s a sin Savior for all of us – Let’s all stand up

-------------------------------------------------

I think that if it is reachin' the lost, and at least puttin' the God of Israel in their minds, they will have some sort of mentioning of God in their lives... it's their choice if they are gon' do anything with it. i pray that their eyes are open'd and our Awesome God reveal'd.

7. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

None of these things are sinful.

8. gekko

gekko New Member

you got scripture to back that bro'?

9. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

There is righteous anger, there is sensuality and sexuality between a husband and wife and so on and so on. God gave us the capacity for emotions and there is a proper place for all of them.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They're not parodies, they're simply singing popular tunes with relgious text. There are many hymns in the Christian hymnal that are secular tunes with sacred text applied. "Rejoice the Lord is King" is a good example. Even "O Sacred Head Now Wounded" came about this way, the tune taken from a 1601 love song called "Confused Are All My Feelings". And don't even get me started on "O Danny Boy".

Those who say this is wrong are simply ignorant of their own hymnal history. Those same people don't seem to have a problem with the Blind Boys of Alabama's rendition of Amazing Grace, but God forbid anyone else do what they did. Hypocrites all.

11. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

It seems that even in our day, we still have our Judizers in almost every area. Trying to impose their ideas and preferences on everyone because they believe that they really understand God. I have heard the personal testimony of and been ministered to by different kinds of Christian music and the artists that perform. It seems to me that if we could get over the stupid stuff, accept that we are all different because God has given each of us a different ministry and set of convictions that are perfect for that ministry, we would be able to do more for the cause of Christ.

I have sat in church services with Jack Hyles style music and watched people tune out everything that goes on because it is not effective to those people. Likewise I have heard Southern Gospel songs (which I love) that have almost no purpose other than to just be a good positive song. I have heard them sung in Sunday am services and not been ministered to in any respect. I have also heard these and other styles, including what many deem the world's music, CCM and been ministered to in a great and wonderful way. Why, because God calls all men and women to different ministries in different places.

Just because a song does not have an approved tempo or beat or rythym (?) does not mean that it is a worldly song. Just because it does not have a salvation message does not make it reprobate music. I like all types of music to one extent or another and am able to pick out those that are positive and uplifting and those that are not. But no matter what, I don't play the role of a modern Judizer because it is not what I deem appropriate. That is up to God to bless it or curse it.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

"To you"??? Individual taste or preference has no matter in this discussion. Music communicates without question. Therefore, music that communicates inappropriately is without redeeming value.

That indicates that your judgment is skewed. Many people have been taught that their judgment is the final rule of acceptability and truth. Nothing could be more wrong. The fact that you can find good in evil is simply not true. Your sense are not trained to discern between good and evil.

By "good," I mean good. Something can be well done in production, performance, and writing ... and still be objectively evil.

No, the statement is true, but in it, Paul is not talking about using worldly means to accomplish spiritual objectives. He is talking about morally neutral things, or things about which believers have liberties.

This thread was about theft of unrighteous "art" to pursue a righteous goal. How are there three pages of discussion about this?

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

None of these things are sinful. </font>[/QUOTE]But all of them can be, and when music communicates them unrighteously, the music is sinful.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Perhaps the greater sin here is being ignorant of musical theory and history. You are comparing apples and oranges. We are talking things that are objectively wrong.

But even that wasn't the point of the discussion. The OP was about stealing songs and art from the world to communicate about God. The simple truth is that God deserves better, the morality of music aside.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Fortunately, that is completely irrelevant here since no one is doing that. If you associate this with Judiazers, it is only because you don't know what a Judaizer was. Liberty in Christ was never a biblical excuse for unrighteousness. The fact that we "could" do something was never a statemenet that "we should" do something. Paul said he gladly limited himself (becoming all thigns to all men) so that he could reach some. He was not willing to do everything that he could do because there was something greater at stake.

1 Cor 1-2 and 2 Cor 2-4 is explicit on this matter of using worldly means (borrowing from the world) to preach teh gospel. If we are going to preach, let's do it without the "persuasive words" of man's wisdom but in simplicity so that the power will be seen to be of God. Of course, that would require that we actually be godly and have God's power. It is usually easier just to borrow from others and whip people into a frenzy.

So have I. But that is irrelevant.

I completely agree. Why even bring this stupid stuff up? It is genuinely stupid.

16. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

None of these things are sinful. </font>[/QUOTE]But all of them can be, and when music communicates them unrighteously, the music is sinful. </font>[/QUOTE]How on earth can music communicate something unrighteously? Does it whisper bad thoughts in my ear? Does it magically penetrate the darkest recesses of my mind and flip all the "bad" switches on?

The problem here is that you are attributing evil to the external. Yes, every good thing God gave can be be corrupted. What corrupts the good? Our hearts. When we sin, it is always from a willfully disobedient heart, and therein lies the root and home of all sin. we twist the use of everything and anything God gives us for bad. Music can't do that. Only a heart can.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I think this kind of silly response indicates just how serious the lack of understanding of righteousness, communication, and culture really is in professing Christendom. Music communicates in a variety of ways, as is universally recognized except for those in CCM, or those who like to defend CCM. Not all CCM is bad or unrighteous, just as not all pop music is. But there certainly is bad music, unrighteous in its communication regardless of intent.

No, I'm not. I think you need to go back and read again.

Exactly, which is why music can be corrupted.

Of course music can't twist itself. But man has twisted music and used it unrighteously. Ungodly music comes from a heart that is ungodly.

Some music theory and philosophy would certainly do you some good. And I am no hardnose on this. I have a wide taste in music, but to assert that music is amoral has no basis in reality.

18. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Well then let's have it already. I'd rather have an answer to the question than this silly posture of wisdom. How does music communicate unrighteously?

Me:Yes, every good thing God gave can be be corrupted.

You:Exactly, which is why music can be corrupted.

Is not the "corrupting" of the good the sin itself?

What use or sense is there in saying that something external to the heart is evil?

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

By inciting ungodly passions or emotions, which music unquestionably does. It communicates unrighteousness by trivializing the majesty of God. It can do this a number of different ways.

No, that is only part of it.

To properly reflect truth, we have to say so. When Paul says to approve things that are good, he is talking about the things themselves, not simply the responses or motives of the heart. It is true that the heart is involved in evil. It is too limiting to say that only the heart is involved.

20. tenor

tenor New Member

"To you"??? Individual taste or preference has no matter in this discussion. Music communicates without question. Therefore, music that communicates inappropriately is without redeeming value.

That indicates that your judgment is skewed. Many people have been taught that their judgment is the final rule of acceptability and truth. Nothing could be more wrong. The fact that you can find good in evil is simply not true. Your sense are not trained to discern between good and evil.

By "good," I mean good. Something can be well done in production, performance, and writing ... and still be objectively evil.

No, the statement is true, but in it, Paul is not talking about using worldly means to accomplish spiritual objectives. He is talking about morally neutral things, or things about which believers have liberties.

This thread was about theft of unrighteous "art" to pursue a righteous goal. How are there three pages of discussion about this?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I can agree about something being well done and yet being used for "evil." That has to with use, attitude and purpose of the performeer and hearer.

I've used some (very few) secular songs effectively in worship. The text and style fit the theme and mood of our service.

Once again, How is some music intrisically evil and other music not?

Please give a concrete answer and not an answeer in "churchese." You say my judgement is skewed (I find your arrogance at this point highly offensive, but I have forgiven you for that), yet you refuse to educate me and clearly and succinctly answer my question as to the actual properties of the "immoral" or intrisically evil music. Give me specifics so that I can define this tyoe of music.. PLease use the language of music to define this -- What type of rhythm? what type of melody? What instruments of vocalizing? Please be precise.

Question two: How do you feel about Beethoven's very secular melody (Ode to Joy) being used with the hymn "Joyful, Joyful, We adore Thee." Could this not be an example of "theft of unrighteous 'art' to pursue a righteous goal." If so, whay" and if not, why?

Personally, I'm not a fan of most CCm. Actually I'm considered a "dinosaur" by most of my Minister of Music peers for my insistence of using hymns over "praise and worship" styles. I find the texts shallow and the music boring and not always of the highest quality. I also find this in many traditional and gospel hymns.

Personally, as a Minister of Music, I choose the best from the various traditions that are APPROPRIATE for the church I am currently serving. I tended to use more "praise and worship" (I really hate this term, because all music is part of praise and worship of God) type songs in my last church and more hymns and anthems of a traditional nature in my current church.

I think our discussion should be more appropriate/inappropriate rather than godd/bad or even immoral/moral. Once again a C major chord or a certain beat, not even a backbeat, carries no morality -- I will concede that there may be associations to some things that are "immoral" but the music itself is not.

One more question. What emotions are negative to you? Could not our National Anthem instill pride in us yet hate in an enemy? Cultural context, not the music, plain and simple.

Are you also saying, for example, that African Christians should not use indigenous music in the worship of God?

Thanks for the discussion.

Hope you haev a great Suanday worshipping God with your congreation.