1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Apostolic Uniqueness ....Guided into All Truth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 15, 2019.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,
    [QUOTE]Hey, Iconoclast , hold up on the "attacks".[/QUOTE]

There are attacks going on in this thread?:Cautious Lets see if we can identify the source of these attacks:Redface

Lets see what has come from the keyboard of JonC:oops:

1]There was no error on my part. Just so you don't try to wiggle out of your mistake instead of owning up to it -

2]Actually, @Iconoclast , I do understand if you cannot admit you took the first sentence of the quote of the OP and ran with it - taking it out of context. It is difficult sometimes for men to admit their mistake even when it is plainly before them. I do not necessarily understand why, but I understand some are built that way. I suppose it is pride.

3]But don't worry about it. It probably does not need saying that I've twisted nothing (my statement stands). I will not require you to once again consider my words as a whole. It is an issue of character and I do not believe forced values are true values. So stick with your claim, if that is who you are.

4]No matter what @Iconoclast would say there is NO scripture affording men spiritual truth absent the work of the Spirit. Scripture even states this of the lost.

5]I think @Iconoclast may, as you indicate, hold the teachings of some Reformers as on the same level with how Catholics view the pope. But this elevates man.

6]Yes. It is arrogant (perhaps the "original sin") to think that once saved we are no longer dependent on the Spirit of God. If the Apostles were dependent on the Holy Spirit then why on earth would we think we can come to truth independent of God? We are no more saved than were they.

This is an illustration of my caution to @Iconoclast regarding just how far he has drifted.

7]It is easy to dismiss @Iconoclast 's OP, but it needs to be taken seriously because it is a real issue in churches today.

I do not understand why we negate the work of the Spirit in the lives of believers. But I have observed that the OP is not alobe in its view of the Holy Spirit.

8]The intellectual movement of which @Iconoclast seems a member denies the present power of God in the life of the believer in favor of a formula or doctrine encompassing all needs of the believer. Scripture, however, presents the beluever not as empowered on his or her own accord bur completely dependent on God.

9]This is the problem when Christians confuse "meat" with "milk". The meat of the word is spiritual and points to a dependence on God.

10]Another issue is "walking in the spirit". How can we say we are walking in the spirit rather than the flesh EXCEPT we are walking in submition to the Spirit of God?

The more I think of it the more I come to see our brother @Iconoclast may have substituted human wisdom for the perfect Word of God.

We cannot claim to be Christian and at the same time abandon the guidance of the Holy Spirit

11]I am talking about the quote. It was mine. I did not quote John 16:13.

I am not offering you anecdotal experience. I am answering the OP. We can only know that which is spiritual through the Spirit.

I understand you disagree. I am not trying to change your mind. I am not even arguing against the error.

I am simply saying that Christians are guided by the Holy Spirit. He is our Helper. He indwells us (not just the Apostles). And He is active - not some sort of door to theology but God Himself.

That you argue against this truth speaks volumes. To attribute your acceptance of ANY spiritual truth to any means except God is wrong.

Now all of these came from the keyboard of our friend JonC.
    Do they look like edifying, kind , and neccesary comments?
    Or do they stray from the OP. into attacks against the poster...Iconoclast???

JONC has suggested that Iconoclast has:

made a mistake he is trying to wiggle out of,
    took a verse out of context and ran with it
    cannot admit the alleged mistake because of pride
    has character issues
    thinks the Spirit does not help believers
    is like RC people viewing the pope
    elevates man
    is arrogant and has drifted from truth
    the op negates the work of the Holy Spirit
    is part of an intellectual movement that denies the power of the Spirit of God
    has substituted the human wisdom for the power of God,
    has confused milk of the word with the meat
    :Roflmao you have got to admire the ability of certain posters to imagine all kinds of things until we actually see what has taken place. Lets set the record straight:Cautious:Cautious

Can the readers begin to see the source of this slanderous , misguided attack?
    Lets investigate these claims in an effort to get the discussion back on track.

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just stopped and got online. I will show the truth now. Those who would supoort everything i am saying do not post here in large part to some of the shenanigans going on, but we will work through even this.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That you want that verse to be specific may be a problem.

Consider, we take certain NT books as Scripture that were written not by Apostles, but apostle (Paul) and by gentiles such as James, Titus, Mark.

They then would fall outside your view of what was specific to the Apostles, would it not?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jon C claims this now;
    Really , you did not quote it? let's look , maybe i misread it;

you posted this;
    I responded then;
    The Holy Spirit guided the Apostles into All Truth, not us.
    We are given the Spirit to be able to welcome truth, but we do not have the same promise the Apostles had.

Even in that thread I clearly state the the Spirit allows all believers to welcome truth

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

That is not the topic of the OP.

Can you quote me saying The Holy Spirit does not indwell all believers? IF YOU CAN, do so now

Again, this is a fabrication from your own imagination. Can you quote me speaking against this? Do so now

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

This falsehood has been addressed several times including the first 3 posts in the OP>

in post1]

Does the Spirit allow believers to welcome the truth of scripture? yes
    Does the Spirit help us remember things, yes

However that is not what was being taught in Jn14, 15, 16.

from post3]

This again is spoken directly to the Apostles, not everyone.
    We can learn things based on what they wrote, but not one of us, is "guided into all truth".

Every false teacher pulls verse 13 out of the gospel of jn and adds 1jn 2:27 to explain why they are guided into all truth...NOT

in post 5;
    Certainly when we are quickened and indwelt by the Spirit we are able to welcome the scriptures as God's truth 1 cor .chapter 2.
    Any truth that comes our way is by the Spirit opening us to understand the word of God.

in post 15; I repeated it again;

1 cor .chapter 2.
    Any truth that comes our way is by the Spirit opening us to understand the word of God

JonC...did you not see this post?
    If you did see it why do you post what you do?

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, then, we cannot take the letters of Paul, nor the book of Titus, James, Mark, nor that of Hebrews as other than confused because the Holy Spirit did not guide the writers as He did the Apostles?

Do you not see that holding such a view is undermining the authority of Scripture?

Was Paul, James, the writer of Hebrews, guided into all truth?

Of course, and we take of all they wrote that which is assigned as Scriptures.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

3 But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

4 To Titus,

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Good - let's be clear:

My claim is that the believer is guided to all truth by the Holy Spirit in the context (the second sentence quoted in the OP) that we can arrive at no spiritual truth except it be of the Spirit. I offered Peter's confession as an example.

You replied that this is experiential on my part and error

All you need to do is show how you arrived at spiritual truth apart from God.

If you misspoke (perhaps misjudged my comment you quoted) then be man enough to admit the error. If not then explain how you gained spiritual knowledge apart from God.

Do you comprehend the issue?

#49 JonC, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    see post 46 among others I clearly posted from the start that no truth comes to anyone apart from the Spirit. I have never posted otherwise, so you active imagination and accusations should stop.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The thread in posts 1-3 show how the Apostles were unique in the promises and gifts they had.

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guys, you need to dial it back.

Allow reasonable tones to moderate your posts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes, all the posts written in post 41 were directed at me, not the topic.:Thumbsup:Sick:Sick

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Again, Paul was not an Apostle - not one of the twelve, but an apostle. That does not diminish his authority, but it does disprove your view.

Are you not a servant of God?

Are you not according to the faith given God's elect one who acknowledges "the truth which is after godliness."

If only Apostles were guided into all truth, that presents a very problematic position in relation to the greater NT Scriptures.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know....I'm just having a bit of fun at @Iconoclast 's expense.

He should have considered the quote in its context before putting it in the OP (he stepped in it so I played the game).

I know that @Iconoclast believes the Holy Spirit guides all believers in all spiritual truth (into which they are guided). And I think that he realizes his mistake (that we did not really disagree on this point as I was not quoting John).

He will not admit it, but I will. I was indulging in his error. @Iconoclast and I actually agree here and I've been intentionally speaking past him with the full knowledge that he would not admit the error and that I was speaking past him.

At least I'm man enough to admit it. :Biggrin

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post #41 was a bit silly. :Biggrin

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

Yes I do....as soon as you show any verse saying what Jn16:13 says to the Apostles, saying we have the same promise they had concerning all truth.

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak:
    and he will shew you things to come.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically the OP had a false start. It took the first sentence of a quote out of context of the rest of the quote and ran with it.

Insofar as @Iconoclast goes, I do not think that it was intentional. I suspect he glanced at the quote on another thread and took it wrong (took it as a reference to John...which would be an interesting topic).

It was a mistake any of us could have made (one in haste). I know that @Iconoclast believes we must rely on the Spirit and he knows (because he is not a foaming idiot) that I realize every believer is not guided into all the truth that there is to be known.

For my part, I was having fun with still-born thread. Sorry if anyone took it too seriously.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand, and I am not saying that defense is not an appropriate response, I would just like the posts to be less dramatic.

Is there not a time to answer and a time not to respond?

I am the most often violator of Paul's statement in Corinthians, " ...is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,..."

Too often I myself am so caught in the winds of contrary and obstinacy that would seem posed to do nothing but bring distraction and ruin, that I also become what I would not if visiting face to face.

But good folks such as you and JonC are watchful that my exuberance does not overshadow "wisdom from above that is first pure, and peaceable..."

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never addressed John 16:13.

It was my quote in the OP that I was addressing (the one you denied....that we cannot know spiritual truth except by the Spirit of God).