1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apple needs to release OSX for PC's

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by David J, Jun 1, 2006.

1. David J

David J New Member

Apple's struggles to gain PC market share continue

By Kasper Jade and Katie Marsal
    Published: 11:45 AM EST

The popularity of Apple Computer's iPod digital music players is helping it sell more Macs, but so far it hasn't been enough to spark a rise in the company's share of the personal computer market.

According to research firm Gartner, worldwide PC shipments totaled 57 million units in the first quarter of 2006, representing a 13.1 percent increase over the same period last year. But in that time, Apple's share of the worldwide market slipped from 2.2 percent to a mere 2.0 percent.

Similarly, Apple's share of the personal computer market in the United States also remains relatively flat at 3.6 percent. Although this figure is down from 3.8 percent in the first quarter of 2005, Gartner's data indicates that Apple gained one tenth of a percent in share over the fourth quarter of 2005.

To Apple's credit, this uptick in U.S. PC market share was achieved during a quarter when most prospective Mac buyers were prolonging their computer purchases in favor new Intel-based models that had yet to come to market. This suggests the company could begin to realize some share gains in the latter half of the year, once all of its PC offerings are readily available with Intel processors.

Meanwhile, Apple rival Dell was able to maintain its No. 1 position in worldwide PC shipments during the first quarter with a 16.5 percent share. However, the company's shipment increase of 10 percent year-over-year marked its weakest performance since the third quarter of 2001, according to Gartner.

Taking advantage of Dell's weakness, Hewlett-Packard increased shipments by over 22 percent and significantly narrowed the gap between it and Dell with a 14.9 percent market share. Lenovo, Acer and Fujitsu Siemens rounded out the top five vendors, each with significantly less share than frontrunners Dell and HP.

In the U.S., Dell remained the clear leader in PC shipments with an 11.3 percentage point market share lead over HP. However, shipments were almost flat compared to a year ago and it's the first time that the company has exhibited growth below the U.S. market average, Gartner said.

According to the firm's data, overall PC shipments in the U.S. during the first quarter of 2006 rose 7.4 percent to 16.4 million units.

If Apple would open up it's OS to run on any hardware I can easily see their market shares and profits increase greatly considering the hatred many consumers have towards M$.

Currently the only way to run OSX on PC's is by using hacks. OSX is an awesome OS that many people would buy "if" Apple would release it.

Currently Apple is doing the same thing that kept them small before. Apple is ignoring the consumers wants and refusing change. Yes Apple is a hardware company and they could still sale Apple Mac's. They should open up their software and allow Mac clones. M$ is what it is today because it's software can be run on just about any hardware. Apple should have learned it's lesson years ago.

I love Mac OSX. I just hate it that as a PC builder my home PC kicks the current Mac's in the face hard. I would love to have OSX running on a A64 Dual core processor, using Nvidia SLI with 2 7900 video cards, X-fi sound card, etc...

Just my rants and thoughts!
    :applause:

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a put down. Have always heard mac is so great and like to gain knowledge.

So, what is so great about mac os? I am not really well versed on the system though have been playing with a fresh install of os 8 and am not overly impressed. I've had more lock ups and hic ups than with windows by far. Most of the software is fairly expensive.

I have hundreds of windows programs, why should I make a switch?

3. kubel

kubel New Member

I don't think we need an official OS X ported to x86 PCs. We just need more n00b friendly linux distros. I want to see the future of operating systems all open source and free. Linux has made some great improvements for ease-of-use recently, but it's not near the level of OS X or XP just yet.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ok, first let me tell you about myself. I work for a Microsoft partner and we install networks, both wired and wireless and IP phone systems.

I also do a lot of multimedia stuff as well and I use both Macs and PCs quite a bit.

First of all, you said you used OS 8. Ok, that is like comparing OS X to Windows 98. Mac OS 8 was released in '97. It is completly outdated.

In 2001 Apple released a brand new system called Mac OS X.
    It has a new user interface and is based on Unix and is similar in it's base code to Linux since they are both Unix based.

As to why you should switch, the biggest reason is because you will love it!
    I enjoy using a Mac. Using a PC is more like work and only when I have to.

The first thing is that the entire system is very elegant and easy but powerful.
    Second, NO VIruses!
    No Spyware

As for all of the software that you use, if you tell me what you need I can give you an idea of what you have as options in the Mac Side of things.

It is really hard to say in short why I prefer the Mac. There are so MANY things that all add up that the experience is almost over whelming.

Also, on a mac, you can now dual boot and run XP as well at full native speed.

If you want a Mac, I would suggest this, get a mac from macmall.com.
    For a little more money they will put XP on it as well. Yo then have a fullly functional PC and Mac in the same box
    and then you slowly migrate more and more to OS X as you learn it and enjoy it.

Also, please tell me the kinds of things you do and I can help you out!

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

David, have you ever actually used a Mac? Apple makes the entire thing and that is in large part the reason for its quality.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sorry for so many posts but the article implies that Mac market share is going down etc.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. Apple is alive and welll and the Mac platform has never been better.
    More and more people are buying Macs. Apple laptops are increasingly popular.
    I have been following Apple for about 6 years now and they have been on a steady rise that whole time.

7. Pete

Pete New Member

Increase their market share :confused: What, maybe allllllll the way back UP to 2.2% :confused: :sleep: Maybe even 2.5% :eek: The sky is the limit!!

(....and can't use any more Smilies....what's with this limit of 4 ?!?!)

I won't argue about Bill & M$ being evil, but Billyware boxes been doing everything I want them to for years. For me to quit Windoze the thing would have to get worse than the good ol daze of '95 (*crash*crash*crash*) and Apple would have to come up with something incredible....

But come to think of it Apple probably still wouldn't get me that way either, have a couple of Linux discs laying around here somewhere.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yeah, Windows will do about everything a Mac will. Just in a more clunky way.

If you ever tried for a while....you would get hooked and so you would never feel right with windows again. That is what happend to me. So beware! lol

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Wait, hardware or software marketshare?
    How is opening up to other competitors going to give them more market share?
    THey have %100 market share now of the Mac platform.
    Opening up to others would anly creat problems. And BTW, most don't realize this but they tried this already and it nearly killed them in the mid 90s.

There were about a dozen or so companies trying to compete for what the market apple has now.
    It didn't create new markets, just cut the one they had to pieces and the quality and distinction went down.
    They all looked like PC boxes and they didn't have the charm the new Apples have.

BTW, that is when Mac os 8 came out.

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, realize os8 is old but I've been hearing how great mac is since way before that, back when I was using 5 1/4 inch floppies I had maccys telling me how great they are :laugh:

I realize that some of the clunkiness I feel is from unfamiliarity, but the learning curve seems much greater than windows. I mean at least windows has a start button to tell you where to go to stop the system :thumbs:

As to what I use, mostly word processing, so a mac would do fabulous for me, if I could justify a new computer :smilewinkgrin:

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Check out this

www.apple.com/macmini

This is what I have and I love it. If you get a mac though, get one from the Apple refurb site. Usually about $100-200 off the normal price and still have a full warrantee.
    Oh, and did I mention you can still run XP on the new Macs?
    That that YOU need to. MS word comes for the Mac as well as a usable version of OpenOffice.
    There is also AppleWorks and a few others I think. I just always use Word because of work.
    Oh, there is also Pages that is more like Publisher but it WOrd compatible, I used that for a project recently for page layout and it was very nice.

Let me know if you have any more questioins!

12. David J

David J New Member

Apple is missing the boat

The problem for Apple is their market share. Apple is already doing both hardware and software. So to say that Apple must chose one or the other is not completely correct. Apple's philosophy is backwards. A simply look at M$ proves that Apple is going about growth the wrong way.

The main problem for Apple right now it the “it” factor is gone since Apple is using Intel processors. Outside of the hardware design for the Imac there is nothing separating a Mac from a PC outside of OSX. Apple's hardware is not better than PC hardware. I've had Apple followers tell me this before which is not true. Apple's hardware can not be upgraded easily, their hardware variety is pitiful when compared to the PC market, they are slow to adapt new hardware, and some hardware they totally ignore. Instead of creating boot camp for Mac Apple should have opened up OSX. When you compare current Apple hardware to PC hardware Apple hardware is lacking. Sorry but that is the truth and if I offend any Mac lovers I'm sorry.

The biggest problem for Apple is not Windows but Linux. I don't see Apple doing much better than it's doing now. Ipod sales are not going to carry Apple forever and their Macs are not something that is a must have. If you take a look at Linux it has grown and developed into a very nice OS. It's becoming more friendly towards the home user and that will create problems for M$ and Apple. I can easily see Apple gaining market shares with OSX if they would open it up.

Mac clones would not kill Apple. What's hurting Apple is Apple. They have a cash cow in an OS that they refuse use. They could make more money selling their hardware and selling OSX as a stand alone product. The real problem and reason that Apple does not release OSX is because they do not want to keep up in the hardware market and they want to control everything. They want to spoon feed us what is good enough. In today's world that does not work and Apple's market share proves this point. Mac clones would make Apple money because Apple would get money from it's software sold on these machines. It's a win for Apple not matter how you look at it.

Opening up OSX would lure more software to Apple. It would also encourage driver development( take a look at Linux for example) because hardware vendors want to sale hardware.

The problem is that Apple does not want to compete. For some odd reason they want to stay small. The new Apple TV adds are funny but if a PC maker started attacking Apple on it's pitiful hardware selections, software variety, and the lack of true consumer choice then Apple would be gnashing their teeth. The door swings both ways. For example Apple is having issues with their Mac books whining and heat issues. So to say Apple hardware is better is a false statement.

Having 100% of a 3% market share is not that great when Apple could grealty increase OSX's market share by simply opening up this software. I would not be bragging about market share if I were Apple.

Now that I bashed Apple's lack of wanting to compete with M$ and Linux let me say so good things about Apple.

OSX is IMO the best OS on the market right now. OSX could be huge if it was opened up.

I like the Imac and it is truly a selling point for Apple hardware. My next Mac will be an Imac.

I bought my son Mac Mini. This is perfect for him. Since I want him know how to use many OS's I decided to by him a Mac.

Apple going into the MP3 market was great. The Ipod is a nice product.

Apple has done many things right. I grew up with Apple and I really like Apple. I'm just annoyed at them for allowing themselves to say below 5% of the total market share.

IMO Apple should be using AMD processors or use both AMD and Intel. Apple should allow more choice with their hardware.

Sorry for the rants LOL.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

First of all, this is all opinion. This is computers we are talking about, not Biblical truth so don't take my opinions as anything more than that :)

I would disagree. Microsoft makes lousy products. Apple makes great products. Both companies are very successful .
    If you look at the three OSes on the market now, they each succeed at being different.
    I don't think anyone of them could succeed trying to encroach too much into the other market. That isn't to say that a huge chunk of the MS pie couldn't be taking by the other two though.

This idea has been broached MANY many times. The problem is, very knowledgable people have researched it and have found that Apple would need to get to about 25% marketshare ASAP in order make money at it.
    That is not likely to happen!

They tried that and it almost DID kill Apple.
    NOt true, they keep opening up more and more stores in the US and around the world. Now they are aggressively advertising as well...

To say no problems is false, but Apples are, in general better hardware that PC hardware is, in general. There are always exceptions though.

I would rather them stay small than have the quality control that Microsoft has.

My basic point is that Apples business model is what makes them strong. They tried the PC way back in the 90s and it nearly killed them.

Time will tell, these are just opinions. :)

14. David J

David J New Member

*Keep in mind I'm playing the devils advocate. So no harm is intented towards you Dale*

Dale you ignored a lot of my examples.

Mac hardware is not better than PC hardware.

I can build a PC that stomps current Macs and retains the same quality or better. I can download a hacked version of OSX and run it on my built PC and it will dog the Mac running OSX. So to say Mac hardware is better is no longer true today. Maybe in the 90's this was true and maybe comparing them to low end Dells it is true. Hardware quality between Macs and PC's are pretty much the same.

Mac hardware selection is poor. This is a fact and not an opinion.

Mac hardware is lagging behind PC hardware. This is a fact and not opinion.

Apples business model keeps them small and unable to compete. Just because Apple is small does not mean they are better. In all honesty XP is the best OS from M$ and XP is a solid product when compared to other M$ OS's. Linux is a solid product. Linux is open source and Linux has more going for it than Apple's OSX because Linux can be run on just about any hardware.

Can you not see that by opening up OSX it would make Apple more money? How in the world would opening up OSX kill Apple when Apple will make money off OSX? How would Mac clones kill Apple when Apple will make money off every sale of a Mac clone simply because Apple software is on these Mac clones? Explain this to me with facts and charts please. I'm not talking about the 90's when Mac's and PC's cost an arm and a leg. I'm talking about today.

If Apple wants to live in the past and follow a failure of a road map then I can not stop them. It's a shame that so may people in Apple can not see the bigger picture and see that controlling hardware they way they do only serves to help M$ and Linux thus keeping Mac behind the competition. Even a very good OS will not get people to buy Apple hardware because of the price and limited software choices with OSX when compared to Windows and Linux.

Since OSX is Unix it would be no problem to port to generic hardware.

Why would someone who only uses a computer to do word processing and internet browsing choose a Mac when they can get a Dell w/LCD for under $500.00? This is a real world problem that you need to explain to me why someone would chose a more expensive Mac over a PC in the example. Now if Mac offered a Mac with a Celeron or Semperon that came with a LCD monitor for $500.00 I could see how a person would think about wether buying a MAC or PC. Currently this does not exist and by Apple's business models it will not exist therefore Apple will continue to fall behind the PC/Linux markets.

Answer this for me. What percentage does Apple hold in the server market as compare to M$ and Linux? Why is their market share so low since OSX is Unix and Unix can easily talk with Linux? I work with main frames etc... and at work we use Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and Red Hat Linux. We also use HP Unix and Baggy Pants Linux.

As far as virus, trojans, etc... advantage for the Mac Linux offers the same thing as long as the user is not running in "root" all the time. Eevn with Linux I use a virus scanner and I know Mac users who do the same with OSX. If Linux and OSX was a big as M$ OS's then Linux and OSX would have more problems with virus infections etc.... So when taken into perspective this is not a valid point for Apple.

When Apple is facing red ink Apple will open up their OS. That's what I think it will take for Apple to wake up. Having the ability to run XP on a Mac will not save Apple's Macs.

Mac followers need to step outside of the box and ask the question where is Apple going to be 5 years from now since Linux and M$ is getting better. They need to ask themselves soem hard questions and take a long hard look at the future instead of wasting money on glass stores etc... Linux is not going away it it's getting more user freindly for the masses. In years to come Apple is going to have some problems if Apple does not change.

Please address my points and show me where I am wrong. I think I've laid out some good points that as a Apple supporter you might should address.

Remember that I too am a Apple supporter and I buy Apple products. I would like to see Apple grow and become a force in the PC market rather than a gnat.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't have time to reply much.
    First of all, I realize this is a friendly discussion of opinions.
    It is hard to make that clear over typed words...so you have to be extra careful! :)

ANyway, to sum up, I am afraid that even if it were long term profitable for Apple, the product quality would go down.
    It costs MS so much more in R&D just to keep up with it all. Apple doesn't have to do that.
    BUt then I actuallly LIKE proprietary in certain cases. IMO, Apple has done great job in keeping proprietary where it makes sense, and getting rid of thigns that a basically proprietary, like the PowerPC ( not really prop. but you know what I mean)
    The move to Intel was great.
    I think there current direction is great.
    I think it is best for the consumer too...we don't need TWO of MS! :)
    lol

16. GospelExplained.com

GospelExplained.com New Member

Its more a problem for pc users than Apple Inc, when it comes to OSX on PC.

I think their present strategy is good for them (and present users), not so good for pc users who don't want mac hardware. Less marketshare might mean less attention from virus makers. Most mac owners agree with not opening up osx to pc.

I'd like to see an easier way to use and learn unix FreeBSD, rather than linux myself.
    But mac OSX is great.

17. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Without trying to be smart, i would not like to see Apple's share of the market rise above 10%.

Apple do well with the situation with no viruses and writing specialist programmes. If too many people get into it it will fall to what microsoft is.

Apple is pretty much an exclusive club for people that appreciate what an Apple can do. Hopefully it stays that way!

18. mnw

mnw New Member

As far as operating systems go it looks like Windows Vista will level the playing field a little.

BTW, have any of you seen that video clip of Microsoft promoting Vista but someone has overlayed it with a MAC already doing what Microsoft is promoting as new? It is funny.

Seems like the biggest differences are that Macs look prettier, are ideal for graphic designers etc, and much more expensive.

It would take a lot to move me from Windows.

19. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you know that Apple actually created Windows! :thumbsup:

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

These distictions really aren't that great anymore. Actually, a similar speced PC is almost always more expensive than a comparative Mac.
    The difference is that Apple doens't start their products so cheap as the likes of Dell.

The Mac Mini for isntance is probably the best bang for the buck out there..it is what I am typing this on...great machine!

apple.com/macmini