1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Approaches to vaccines

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Aaron, Jun 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm, so are you repenting of the sin of vilifying those wary of mRNA jab as anti-vax?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I still believe that whether or not one gets vaccinated should be a personal choice and that some reject all vaccines while others reject select vaccines. My view on the covid vaccines and the freedom to choose has not changed. People should not try to influence others either way. It should be a decision between the person and their doctor (assuming they trust their doctor).

I believe this with any medical treatment. My mom is in the hospital now (I'm there right now), and I told her to listen to her doctors and I'd support her decision.

My brother did not get the covid vaccine. I was fine with that (it's up to him). I certainly would defend his right to make his own decisions regarding his health.

I did get vaccinated. He respected my right to make my own health decisions.

My sister is anti-vax. I also support her decision. Much of her choices is based on allergies.

In other words, whether somebody is anti-vacvine, anti-covid- vaccine, or pro-covid or pro-vaccine.....those are and should be personal health decisions.

So no, my view has not changed. I'm pretty much a libertarian when it comes to these issues. I remain opposed to vilifying people for their health choices whether it is not to be vaccinated or to get the vaccine.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember quite well your contempt for the 'anti-vax' and your hallowed view of the mandates.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you misunderstood my position. That is on you, not me, because I repeatedly posted that I was against mandates.

In these issues I am libertarian. I do not believe the government has the right to mandate invasive health measures - like vaccines - for the general public. I also believe seat belt laws for adults are wrong

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been awhile, so I will restate my position on the SARS-CoV-2 vaccines as it seems some have an issue with my beliefs yet are not representing them correctly. This goes beyond the vaccines.

I do not believe the government has the right to mandate vaccines to the general public regardless of the vaccine.

I believe that people should have been left to decide for themselves whether or not to be vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2. This means I believe propaganda from both pro and con vaccine people was wrong.

I believe that health care decisions should be left up to the individual.

I believe that the government should have no authority to decide for a private business what they will do insofar as requiring vaccines unless it is well established that in the process of conducting business the company could harm others (I believe hospitals should test for TB, for example).

I believe the government should require companies to provide certain safety mechanisms. (For example, I work at a nuclear facility and in areas I have to wear PPE to include a respirator or plastic suit...the job could be done quicker without having to dress out every time but that would put employees at risk). BUT these are not invasive measures.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I didn't, but that's another discussion. Just nudging an agenda into the light.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that is actually this discussion.

You mistakenly believed that I was for mandated vaccinations. That is far from my position. I do not believe that the government has the right to mandate vaccines for the public. Instead I believe that the government exists by virtue of the people, for the people, authorized by the Constitution.

I am a "Constitutionalist" (that means I believe the US Government itself should be governed according to the US Constitution).

I am not sure how you became confused over my position here since I repeatedly stated that I am against the government forcing vaccinations on the public.

Perhaps you simply confused my posts with somebody else's.

Or maybe you simply thought it easier to misrepresenting my stated position. It certainly would be easier to argue against a position you made up rather than what others actually hold.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and attribute your mistake to simple confusion. The discussion was about SARS-CoV-2 vaccines which was awhile back. Maybe time was just not your friend.

What you seem to have confused as supporting mandated vaccines was probably my statement that I believe business owners should be able to make the decisions uninfluenced by the federal government. I believe that business decisions (whether a business requires a vaccine, requires masks, requires unmasked employees, requires one to be clean shaven, or to wear a clown suit) should be up to the employer. Capitalism will ultimately effect the continued practice.

In the future just ask me what I believe instead of making stuff up. If you are confused then just ask for clarification.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the search function is all mucked up. And changes to the site have occurred that impede Google searches. Otherwise I would just cite your contemptuous posts. Anyway, it IS another discussion. Again, just nudging an agenda into the light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line is I know my positions, you know yours.

I stated mine. You can state yours.

But you cannot tell me what I believe.

And I cannot tell you what you believe.

You have a bad habit of arguing with members by telling them what they believe.

You do not need a search feature to know my position. I just told you.

Now you can offer your position and we can discuss our differences.

10. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s mucked up for some…..but not others. Not only that but ‘editing’ forever for some and not others. Unless it was initially saved, it never even happened. I have a rather full list of good/very good posters who are no longer here because of this. Every time I post it, it gets deleted. Now we are getting fed the oh so reasonable version, it’s kind of like the msm…….no surprises, considering………….

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. It's not to know what you believe, it's to show you, and others, what you've said.

Anyway, I just brought it up because I thought the appeal to a nuance in a certain position be observed in your case, when you wouldn't observe it for others as they were being oppressed and quite literally ravaged by those in power to be relevant.

Moving on.

12. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, @Aaron tends to think he knows motives of the heart. An omniscient guy, eh?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Tongue;)

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem has been long going with @Aaron .

A member says "I believe A". Aaron responds "no you don't, you believe B". It equates to lying, but has been an issue on this board.

That said, it won't continue. You mentioned several are here only to disrupt. You are right, but in time my guess is they will be gone. Many are in their last chance as it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, if you want to defame me in the open fora, does that mean we're now allowed to comment on shifty moderator actions in the open fora?

Asking for a friend.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell your friend that if he tells a member that member does not believe what that member says he believes then your friend will be banned from the BB for lying.

Also tell your friend that when addressing members who are also on staff to be careful to leave out that members staff position. That moves discussing a disagreement between two men (two members) to disparaging a staff member for being a staff member.

Let him know ASAP because I'd hate your friend to be banned out of ignorance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Closed as the OP is not active at this time

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club