1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are All Going to Be Saved?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by neal4christ, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

Thanks trying2understand.

I keep looking at your reply and sthought keeps going through my head... That's NOT Biblical.

I also don't want to get into a heavy discussion on this topic here. If the moderators don't mind, maybe a new thread can be started if there is enough intrest in peaceful discussion?

Jim

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The catholic church places Catholics, Protestants hindus and pagans all in purgatory as their next step - on the way to heaven.

They also have the "really good saints" skipping purgatory and going directly to heaven.

And they have the really really bad and wicked people not allowed into purgatory and going directly to hell.

So in the Catholic view Hitler goes directly to hell but Muslims, Hindus, Budhists, pagans - all go to purgatory along with Protestants and Catholics.

The "benefit" for CAtholics is that they can have indulgences applied to lessen their stay in Purgatory. (Of course they still claim that only Catholics can be saved by the mechanism of the New Covenant. They claim that all others need to find "another way" in to heaven)

This is a big change from their extermination policy of the dark ages.

In Christ,

Bob

3. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

When my mother was in school about 12 or so years to be an RN, she was taught that if a Catholic is about to pass away, that they must make every attempt to contact a priest and have them present. She was also taught that if a Catholic died unexpectedly that they must again make every attempt to contact a priest so that they may pray them out of Hell. Maybe they meant purgatory. Any truth to this?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Last rites is a "plenary indulgence". It gets you "unlimitted credits" to get out of Purgatory If you die in a state of grace (without mortal sin on your soul).

Of course just because you get one - does not mean God will "honor it" according to the RCC. They encourage you to get multiple plenary indulgences for the same dead family member because the last thing you want - is for loved ones to roast in purgatory for the full amount of time that God intends to hold them there.

It is a fascinating doctrine - I see now why some here claim Baptists leave their faith and jump right on that torture-me-in-purgatory-please view of God and heaven. :eek: [​IMG]

In Christ,

Bob

5. dr396

dr396 New Member

Right now I am taking a class called "Contemporary Roman Catholic Theology" at Southern Seminary in Louisville. Our professor is a former missionary to Rome who admits that in his early years he was way too ecuminical in his actions. Now, however, he uses his experience to teach ministers how to engage Catholics.

Anyway, we have had this discussion several times and basically the Catechism is written in such a way as to allow for great interpretation among all Catholics. Some can say and do say that Protestants who willingly reject the Roman Church will go to hell. Others aknowledge that hell is specially reserved for complete atheists and those who are especially evil (like Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, and others). But for the most part, in the Catholic church today, it is a very difficult thing to get into hell. Generally you go to Purgatory for a long time and will eventually get out once you have paid enough penance.

So if you are looking for a Catholic consensus on "will all people eventually go to heaven" then you are not likely to get it. Official church doctrine is just not specific enough in this regard. You can read such articles as "Nostra Aetate," "Lumen Gentium," and "Evangelii nuntiandi" (all of which should be accessible via the internet) to get a better grasp on the language used and the possiblities of interpretation.

D.R.