1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Fat Jokes Ever Appropriate & or Funny

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Mishelly, Jun 19, 2006.

?
  1. Are they Appropriate?

66.7%
  2. Are they Funny?

85.2%
  3. Do you laugh at them?

92.6%
  4. Do you tell them?

77.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was in grade school, the second and third grades, yhe kids wanted me to call J. fatso and say fatty, fatty two..... I refused as much as I could. J returned my kindness when we in high school by standing up for me when the kids teased me.
    Faithgirl

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

I'm 6'5, weighing in at a more than I want to disclose, I've have heard them all. I may chuckle at the funny ones I hear, but don't tell them.

I played softball for years and was asked to go to a state tournament in Starke, FL. We were playing a team that had already smoked us in a game earlier that morning. It was a double elimination and we had both lost 1 game each.

Blood was bad between our 2 teams due to an altercation at another tournament. I had words with their 3rd basemen over a shoulder bump.

Anywho, t'wards the end of the game, it was obvious they were going home. We were at bat and I was in the dugout. I remember standing to my feet and saying loud enough for everyone to hear, "Boys, you better find that fat lady and tell her to start singing, cause this game is almost over." I turned towards the stand and there was a rather large worman looking right through me.

Her husband was the 3rd basemen. He was a gorilla and I just knew there was going to be a clobbering. I watched him like a hawk until he got in his truck and went his way.

I very seldom run into someone as tall as me or taller that takes up as much space as I do.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Ok I gotta ask...who was going to be doing the clobbering and who was going to be getting clobbered? :smilewinkgrin:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There should have been a "none of the above" answer. Having an overweight mother, and hearing the horror stories of her childhood through her adult life, there are no funny fat jokes. "Sticks and stones may break my bone, but words will never LEAVE me".

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

It would have been a duet.

6. DorthyMontine

DorthyMontine New Member

Being a big, boisterous, beautiful, babe! :wavey: I had to vote... YES to all the questions... of course that really depends on my mood... somedays it may be NO! :laugh:

Let's see.... alcohol, tobacco, obesity, Calvinism, Armeninism, mixed swimming, modesty, Masons....

Boy... looking at us, we're all a little 'FUNNY'! Seems we need to 'lighten' up a bit. (Please Pardon Pun!:tongue3: )

Now, for those of you who have a lot of pounds invested in your physique, and have a sense of humor about it, you may want to check out the blog I've linked here... it's got a couple of funny posts bulked up with a bit of humor. Besides, laughing helps to burn off calories. So, go ahead and chuckle a bit! http://mothers-musings.blogspot.com/

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yesterday when I sat down to watch tv and I was flipping through the channels and saw Oprah (I don't usualy watch Oprah) was doing one of her weight loss shows, and they had this man who had lost 500 pounds with no surgery and no pills. He just altered his diet and started walking, of course later as he lost weight he did more excerises. Very interesting. I always wondered just how much weight could a person realisitically loose without surgery and pills.

8. DorthyMontine

DorthyMontine New Member

I think probably as much as he detemined to lose?

9. Elnora

Elnora New Member

I thought it was yes or no also. No, I don't think they are funny nor appropriate, I don't tell them and I don't laugh at them. What are you teaching your children by laughing at the expense of others? I never did like it. I watched kids teased and ridiculed in school for various reasons, fat, ugly, lack of decent clothes, etc. I didn't like it then and I don't now. Set an example, man!

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I lost 150, and wish I had part of it back. I now weigh 159 and at 6'2" most folks tell me I am too skinny.

Seriously, been on the too skinny side and the too fat side. Not especially fond of jokes on either end of the spectrum.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I would like to get back down to 265 or 270. That's when I looked the best.

When we got married, I only weighed about 220. At the time, I didn't realize that I was downright skinny, but looking back in photos, I can see it. The thing about it is, I will fix myself food if I am hungry; but, if you put food in front of me, I don't have to be hungry to eat it. (I don't stuff myself, though.) When my wife was pregnant, she was cooking all the time, so I was eating all the time, and I put on 75 pounds. I lost back down to about 240, then bulked up to 265 and looked great! (OK, hit me for vanity.)

So, I would like to lose about 60 pounds.

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I would never intentionally hurt someone's feelings because of their appearance, weight or whatever. But there was this one time...back when my ex-wife and I went to visit a church, and went to a supper afterwards in the basement. My wife and I were were both skinny kids at the time. There was a very large woman sitting nearby on a metal folding chair and suddenly all four legs just curled up like taffy. The woman was suddenly sitting on the floor, and my wife and I tried to stifle laughter for awhile till it was just too much. We both were laughing like a couple of teenagers (which we were), and needless to say, didn't feel welcome back at that church again. I wish I had done better.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a commone misperception. Genetics play the biggest role. If you have an overweight father, overweight mother, chances are the children will be overweight, regardless how little they eat.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

sorry double post

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

150, wow, thats great, I've lost right now about 83, I was up to 98 at one time, working on it again though.

16. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Thank you for all of the input!!! This was my first poll to post, they were yes or no but if I do one again in the future I will give yes and no options, sorry for the confusion :confused:

Honestly I do not like fat jokes but I do laugh at them, when it is made in jest. Some say there is no difference, possibly. Last night I was swimming with a friend, another big and beautiful person, we were joking about tsunamis and such. Does this make me a hypocrite?

Defense mechanism is what a lot of people do to protect themselves, I do not see it as demeaning myself, just protecting myself. Should I feel the need to do this, no, but I do.

I know I am a beautiful person who has a lot to offer. Is it a contradiction to find yourself attractive but think that other people do not? Vanity I suppose.

When I go to the pool in my apartment complex and hear the jokes, "Watch the horizon disappear" and then the other weekend I was listening to my walkman and the other couple there must have thought I could not hear them. She asked "Do you find that fatty attractive?" "you know better then that, I have taste and why would I look at anyone else when I have you" My families favorite is "Shamoo is coming", O how I dislike that one

What bothers me the most, I suppose, is that the world is so focused on physically beauty. When did fat = ugly. I know that knowing Jesus means we are not of this world but it is hard to remember at times when we are living in it.:tear:

For the most part people are good and know true beauty comes from within, it seams they only know that once they take the opportunity to get to know you. Why do SOME people (NOT that I heard this statement on the BB, just a question) assume if you are overweight then one must be lazy or gluttonous?

I am finding I like the BB, thank you to everyone for your feedback, whether I agree or not :tongue3: :D

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I do the Shamoo thing myself. I'll swim up onto the edge and imitate the whale. I'll call myself a beached whale (I even have the white belly to prove it!) But, I would not say it about anyone else. My wife is obese, and she's sensitive about it. However, I won't quit poking fun at myself.

BTW, the guy would have said the same thing about Kathy Ireland if she had asked him, "Do you find her attractive?"

18. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

:laugh:

Thank you for putting things into perspective :thumbs:

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Mishelly, people can be hard, some like it that way I think, they don't care what they say or who they hurt. Rarely do I hear anyone make coments anymore, maybe I am not listening for it. But it doesn't bother me, I know I am over weight, I know I don't stuff food, and I know I am not lazy, and most of all I know Jesus, my confidence is in Him not me. He loves me even if the world does not and thats all that matters. Don't let people bother you, you obviously have a better heart then they do.

20. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Thank you:flower: I have a rant on being a people pleaser too :) Maybe I should start a thread on that topic :D