1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Mission Boards Biblical

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, Nov 15, 2021.

1. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In China they had women evangelist and pastors this women started many Churches in China the famous Watchman Nee spoke of these ladies. I would not however use that fact to justify the practice , I would reject women preachers as an un scriptural position , I would likewise do the same with formal Missionary Boards . I would not have opposition to a qualified minister going anywhere the Holy Spirit leads him , to preach the gospel and establish Churches . I would oppose a Board that would tell someone where they can or can not go or that they are too old or because of missing an eye they can't be a ''missionary'' [Christmas Evans] or they must graduate from a seminary etc.... in order to be qualified , likewise I would say that Noah was just as successful Preacher with his eight souls on the Ark as Peter was with the 5,000 added on Pentecost because they were both in the will of God. Success is serving and doing and being where God wants you , it could be in India preaching to thousands or a small assembly of 8 in Possum Trot, Kentucky . For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I not sure that Dr. Clarke was a Baptist but I know the folks that started the Welsh Tract Church were before they left Wales :
    In the year 1701 some of us (who were members of the churches of Jesus Christ in the countys of Pembroke and Caermarthen, South Wales in Great Britain, professing believers baptism; laying- on-of-hands; election; and final perseverance in grace) were moved and encouraged in our own minds to come to these parts, viz. Pennsylvania; and after obtaining leave of the churches it seemed goed to the Lord and to us, That we should be formed into church order, as we were a sufficient number: and as one of us was a minister: that was accomplished and, withal letters commendatory were given us, that if we should meet with any congregations or christian people, who held the same faith with us, we might be received by them as brethren in Christ.

Our number was sixteen: and, after bidding farewell to our brethren in Wales, we sailed from Milford-haven in the month of June, the year above mentioned, in a ship named James and Mary; and landed in Philadelphia the eighth of September following:

After landing, we were received in a loving manner (on account of the gospel) by the congregation meeting in Philadelphia and Pennepek who held the same faith with us (excepting the ordinance of Laying-on-of-hands on every particular member) with whom we wished much to hold communion at the Lord's table; but we could not be in fellowship with them in the Lord's supper; because they bore not testimony for God touching the fore-mentioned ordinance.

There were some among them who believed in the ordinance: but it was neither preached up, nor practiced in that church: for which cause we kept separate from them for some years.

We had several meetings on this account, but could not come to any agreement; yet were in union with them (except only in the Lord 's-supper, and some particulars relative to a church).

After our arrival we lived much scattered for about a year and a half, yet kept up our weekly and monthly meetings among ourselves: during which time it pleased God to add to our number about twenty members, in which time we, and many other Welsh people purchased a tract of land in New Castle County, on Delaware, which was called Welsh tract: in the year 1703 we began to get our living out of it, and to set our meetings in order, and build a place of worship which was commonly known by the name of, The Baptist meeting house by the Iron-hill.

In the year 1706 we, and the congregation (meeting in Philadelphia and Pennepek) appointed a meeting to come together once more, in order to try at union in the good ways of the Lord setting up our prayers and supplications on this great occasion and purposing to do as the Lord should give us light.

3. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not have any type of mission board but rather believe the gospel should have a free course '' Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: "" No body of men should be able to dictate or restrict an orderly minister called of God who has been set aside by his local Church , he should as my credentials read be able to preach the gospel , ''wherever God in his wisdom may cast his lot '' . The Holy Ghost is not confined by borders or manmade situations , he will regenerate whomsoever by sending forth that Spirit of Adoption at God's appointed time, man can however hinder man , but trusting in a God who can by what means he choses in his Providence overcome any hinderance set. '' Hardshell '' ministers overseas not citizens of a country and forbidden to work secularly have received assistance from the brotherhood independent of any boards and if establishing a church ,they stay with it until the Holy Ghost sets apart a local for that position. The intention among our people as to spreading the gospel is to bring life and immortality to light and to comfort the lambs and the sheep ,not to turn goats into sheep.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you brother … a refreshing explaination!

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Largely because of my roots ( both Welsh and from Pennsylvania) I was reading some history of the Welsh coming to America… specifically PA. The author emphasized that they would build their churches prior to building their homes. In Wilkes/Scranton, you can still see remnants of churches build in the neighborhood ( so they could walk to church and not miss services … which often began at 7:30am and didn’t let out till nightfall). And the singing was glorious!