1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Mormons' Christians?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Soulman, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

I have learned a lot about Morman's on this thread.

Honestly I studied with them for a short period of time when I was younger, but at that time I could not defend what I knew to be the truth, did not have the correct words. A lot of what they had to say contradicted the Bible so I stopped studying with them.

I pray for them that they see the truth, but as the Bible says, many will be led astray. Saddens me:tear:

Looking forward to here more on this subject :flower:

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

AMEN!:praise:

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have found that if a Mormon becomes a Christian they do not stay long in the Mormon Church.

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it interesting that archeology does not support any of the book of mormon while there are many archeological evidences for the Biblical accounts. I asked a mormon missionary about this - he didn't have an answer.

To answer the OP, no, they are not christians. They don't believe in the Jesus of the Bible and they add works to salvation.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For some great information about what they believe from former Mormons read http://hismin.com/

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Great answers'. Seems that even on the BB, we are on the same page!:thumbsup:

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I have heard talk that the next LDS president in line (Monsen) is more open to traditional Christian doctrine. Some have even said that they think he believes in the Trinity. Speculation is that he rejects alot of Mormon doctine and wants to steer the church toward the Christianity of the Bible.

Personaly I dont believe he could have stayed in the LDS church or made it so far without believing whole heartedly in LDS doctrine.

BUT if it is true. Will he be able to steer a whole huge denomination of people toward christian doctrine or even Christ. Remember the people will consider him a prophit of god. But he will be going against the traditional beliefe of several generations of Mormons, if true.

I hope people are right. I cant wait to see how it plays out if they are.

8. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

It is interesting to note that a few years ago the "other" Mormon church, which had been called the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, changed its name to "Community of Christ". Sounds like a non-denominational fellowship, doesn't it? But looking at their website does not suggest any diminishing of their Mormon teaching. If you want to be cynical -- or realistic! -- you can read this as an attempt to hide the reality and appeal to the mainstream public.

A shift in a few doctrinal ideas in the main LDS church will not equate to moving people toward Christ. We need to remember that we are more focused on "being inChrist" than on agreeing with concepts about Christ.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Agreed. BUT how huge of an improvement would it be if the LDS church moved from being politheistic to monotheistic. Even accnolaging God in the Trinity. I will take victories even if they are not complete.

How much easier would it be to witness to Mormons if we already agreed on who God is and could move right on to what he expects from us.

I did not know the RLDS changed their name. I am sure it is to distance themselfs and appear like a Christian church. Even the mainline LDS try to pass themselfs off as just like other churches with a few minor differences. That is what the missionaries told me when I was 10. Maybe they wanted to distance themselfs from the FLDS and Warren Jeffs.

Wow, who would have guessed Joseph Smith knows so much about the Mormon chruch :laugh: :laugh:

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Which Joseph Smith do they think you might be?

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

No they are NOT Christian. They do NOT believe in Jesus. They do believe in one of the MANY Joseph Smiths.

12. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Yep, Lucifer's brother, but not an angel. Rather a spirit child of Elojim and one of his celestial wives. Lucifer and he would also be yours and my spirit brothers as we were all spirit children of Elojim and his celestial wives and knew each other behind "the veil". Oh yeah, I've got a wealth of insight into the Mormon church/doctrine (long story.)

Anyway, besides all the strange beliefs (which are a result of needing "an answer for everything" that arises in the absence of strong faith,) the major glaring error with them is that they take God out of Christ. They replace one of the Trinity with a man (God's only "physically" begotten son.) So, how does a man provide salvation? Well, he doesn't.

Not to mention, you don't get "saved" in the Mormon church in the sense that Baptist are familiar with. It's a multi-part affair including "faith" in Christ, repententance (if necessary... because of course Mormons are perfect ;)), and then immersion baptism to wash away your sins. I've seen this numerous times, and I have to say it isn't the "life changing" experience that Baptists are used to, but rather a "procedural" issue for membership, with baptisms occuring at the age of 8 for children from LDS families (the accepted age of accountability.)

The Articles of Faith state that they beleive in "a" trinity, but not "The" Trinity. I have to hand them this though... in adherence to the 10 Commandments, they won't pray directly to Jesus (as he isn't God.) That's a major beef of mine with some other religions that pray to saints/Mary/ancestors, etc.

On the Articles of Faith though, you don't see them mentioned much in regular church study and affairs. They are more of a "yeah, look, we beleive in that" that is used for external queries. Surprisingly, most Mormon's don't know what they beleive, as they are in the church due to family/social pressures. I've met some that do know vast amounts of the more questionable/outrageous beleifs, but I've always found they were *very* uncomfortable talking about it.

Tim

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

FaithGirl

Ask your friend if she has a 'testimony' or a 'salvation experience', if she does not indicate that her 'salvation experience' is new and different from her 'testimony', then I would say she is NOT a Christian.

In Him

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Tim

If you went to baptisms, I gotta ask if you got your "Holy Underwear"?

16. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I've found quite the opposite, more often than not. I've seen that they are afraid to let their family/friends know because of the possible social ramifications.

I've seen Mormons that will leave their name on the membership role (although it almost takes the threat of a lawsuit to have it removed,) and "secretly" attend a Christian Church while still attending the LDS church on special occassions.

There is VERY strong social pressures that a lot of non-Mormon people don't understand. Especially in familes that trace their Mormon heritage back through generations that hold prominent places in their respective communities.

But, some do openly leave, and it generally leads to an ostracizing, even by close family members.

Tim

17. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Sorry, no magic pajamas (although I've personally seen many a pair.) Those are for temple-going Mormons. Baptisms use a white jumpsuit though, although they're nowhere as cool (no magic symbols on them like the temple garments.)

If one liked being baptized though, Mormonism could be a great gig as when they do baptisms for the dead, you get dunked over, and over, and over again (baptisms for the dead are one of the main motivating factors for the LDS genealogy services.)

Tim

18. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

What is funny about all this is that last night we watched a movie called "Baptists at our BBQ" put out by a Mormon filmmaker. I really enjoyed it quite a bit due to the Mormon humor, although the Baptist jokes revealed a little bit of mis-understanding. Here's the site for the movie: http://bbqmovie.com.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Tim

A few technical corrections. Mormons believe that an angle is another term for spirit. That Jesus and lucifer are spirit children (literal procreations) and also angles. And that we all become angles when we die.

Mormons believe in a godhead that they define as the three gods that we deal with. The father, jesus and the holy ghost. Three seperate gods in three persons. They believe in millions of gods but only deal with these three in this world. They believe the father is in charge and jesus is a god in training. Kind of like on the job training before he gets his own world and becomes the father himself.

Mormon children memorize the articals of faith. I bet my wife can still recite everyone of them even now. Every school here has a mormon seminary. Every LDS kid from 7th grade up takes a LDS seminary class as one of his/her school credits. Believe me most mormons know the articals of faith. They can recite them just do not ask for any deeper thought then memorization.

20. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I am still on their rolls. It is not worth my time or effort to remove myself. And yes it does take alot of work and probably retaining an attorny to get yourself off. Believe me everybody I know understands I am no longer a Mormon. My name on their rolls means nothing to me.

Sadly most mormons who leave the LDS church have had enough of religion. The majority reject all discution of God and refuse to listen to anything about Him. They feel disolusioned and decived. Most describe themselfs as athiests and will not even consider listining to another view.