1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are musical styles amoral? Round 2.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree on music with many brothers and sisters in Christ that I do evangelistic work with, I don't shun people over music, Now I will never be a part of their music, but I don't believe I cannot work with them to fulfill the Great Commission.

Here's a snippet about Gaither from
    http://www.wayoflife.org/database/bill_gaithers_disobedience.html

Bill Gaither has had an ecumenical philosophy from the beginning of his musical career. In his autobiography It’s More Than the Music, he states that one of the fringe benefits of playing their concerts in “neutral, nonchurch environments” was that people from “all church denominations” attended.

“Before long, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, charismatics, Catholics, and Pentecostals were all praising the Lord together. Subtly, the walls between denominations began to crumble...” (Gaither, It’s More Than the Music, p. 115).

“Hymns for the Family of God” was purposefully “nondenominational” and included devotional readings from a wide variety of Christians, including heretics such as Deitrich Bonhoeffer (one of the fathers of Neo-orthodoxy), Malcolm Muggeridge (a liberal Roman Catholic who did not believe in Christ’s virgin birth or bodily resurrection), and Robert Schuller (who has wickedly redefined the gospel in terms of his humanistic self-esteem theology).

The Gaithers provided the music one evening at Indianapolis ‘90, a large ecumenical charismatic gathering that I attended with media credentials. One-half of the 25,000 participants were Roman Catholics. A Catholic mass was held each morning conference, and Catholic priest Tom Forrest from Rome brought the closing message. Roughly 40 denominations were present. The Gaithers were perfectly at home in this unscriptural gathering and entertained the mixed multitude with their jazzy music.

The Gaither Vocal Band performed at the Promise Keepers’ second major men’s conference in Boulder, Colorado, in 1994. Promise Keepers is radically ecumenical. In an interview with the Catholic publication Our Sunday Visitor, Promise Keepers founder Bill McCartney said that full Catholic participation was his intention from the start. “Back in 1992, at our first stadium event, we very clearly stated from the podium that we eagerly welcomed the participation of Roman Catholics, and we’ve had scores of Roman Catholics attend and go back to their churches excited” (Our Sunday Visitor, July 20, 1997, p. 10). The Tidings, a Roman Catholic paper, stated that Promise Keepers included Catholic congregations (March 31, 1995). Catholics were encouraged to participate in Promise Keepers because “there is no doctrinal issue which should cause concern to the Catholic Church” and “there is no attempt at proselytizing or drawing men away from their [Catholic] faith to another church.” Catholic priest John Salazar spoke at a Promise Keepers meeting in Plainview, Texas, in December 1995 (Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, December 3, 1995). The Promise Keepers field representative for the upper Midwest at that time, Steve Jenkins, was a Roman Catholic. A Promise Keepers Wake Up Call brochure distributed in San Louis Obispo, California, urged pastors, churches and their men to attend special rallies during March 1996, one of which was held at the St. Rose Catholic Church in Paso Robles. In 1997 Promise Keepers appointed a Roman Catholic, Mike Timmis, to its Board of Directors. One of the speakers at several of 1997 PK rallies was Roman Catholic “evangelist” Jim Berlucchi (“Making New Catholic Men?” Our Sunday Visitor, July 20, 1997, p. 10). In June 1997, Promise Keepers hosted a Catholic Summit at its headquarters in Denver, “sounding out Catholic volunteers and leaders from around the world” (Ibid.). Promise Keepers organized a Roman Catholic mass as part of its Rich Stadium conference in Buffalo, New York (The Humanist, Sept. 19, 1997). Following a luncheon with Bill McCartney in January 1998, Roman Catholic Archbishop Charles Chaput of Denver gave a “thumbs-up” to Catholic men who wanted to participate in Promise Keepers (The Catholic Register, quoted in Religious News Service, Jan. 19, 1998).

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the passages about God liking the "melody" is not really applicable to Him not liking "rhythm"?

I think I see what you are saying, and there are some music styles where you and I would agree....but perhaps for different reasons. It is not an issue with me...I am torn because I like traditional hymns but some of the contemporary worship songs are probably more biblical (actually, some are Psalms)....and I know we are not speaking traditional vs. contemporary in general (I just threw that in for free).

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What of music, then, that are more associated with a particular faith (meaning denomination here)?

What I mean is that I can understand you not liking The Gaithers both for the style and because they are ecumenical (although I like them). But what about songs from “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” to “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing”. You go from Luther to Wesley…are we mixing doctrines or are they also ecumenical?

4. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there any unbiblical doctrines in those songs?

Pretty sure we would never sing a Luther or Wesley song about infant baptist, not sure what my opinion of Luther is, some say he wasn't even saved, not sure much what I think of Wesley either, though I've heard much good of im.
    Most certainly they did not yoke up with Rome though.