1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Saints Called to Preach/Share the Gospel?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonShaff, Dec 9, 2015.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You are intentionally misrepresenting my comment to assert your pride and foolishly declare my intent". That would be an accusation (not, of course, that it is...I'm just offering an example).

My expression that "I think" they rely too much on theory and miss the boat on a few issues is voicing my opinion of disagreement. It remains merly opinion and intentionally unsubstantiated here (the comment points to me and not to Calvinism). It is not accusation by definition or context. There is nothing to "prove.". No evidence needed as it is a given those are my thoughts (the sentence is correct).

#61 JonC, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother Jon,

I agree with you and Bro Internet Theologian in that the anti-missions movements (which I happen to agree with) in the early 1800s was not the historical position of Calvinists. It is held by Primitive Baptists and Gospel Standard Baptists/Gospel Standard Strict Baptists. Also, as brother Internet Theologian has already pointed out Primitive Baptists do not typically even refer to themselves as "Calvinists", thus to extrapolate out our doctrine to Calvinism would be an error. We agree with Calvinists on the five points, but disagree on important points such as some Calvinists believe the gospel is an invitation, we disagree that the gospel is to both the elect and nonelect, some, but not all, Primitives and Gospel Standard Baptists also believe in the doctrine of eternal vital union (myself included) which most Calvinists do reject (or perhaps haven't even heard of), and some Calvinists (but not all) also believe in gospel regeneration or salvation by means, which all Primitives would also reject. In regards to legal justification, Primitives generally believe this occurred for the elect at the time of Christ's crucifixion/resurrection 2,000 years ago on that basis alone and justification by faith that occurs at the point of gospel belief is only of an experimental type in this time world, while Calvinists believe legal justification is on the grounds of faith in the gospel and occurs at this point. Other differences exist such as on Sunday schools, musical instruments in service, seminaries etc. Primitives oppose such while Calvinists generally do not.

#62 BrotherJoseph, Dec 29, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are interesting distinctions that many ignore. I could also agree with the "five points" to an extent .... (although not "TULIP"), but in a different contest and for different reasons than most Calvinists. In fact, many who consider themselves Calvinists are in reality just agreeing with some points of that Calvinistic response at Dort.

The anti-mission movement was reactionary but it was not the primary view if Calvinists. Personally, I am thankful for those who helped to stall the influence of that movement. I also reject the doctrine of eternal vital union as error begetting error. But I also understand that many take Primitive Baptist belief out of context. People stereotype much too often and that is what has been done on this thread.

#63 JonC, Dec 29, 2015
  4. BrotherJoseph

Hi Rev Mitchell,

Mark 16:15, “15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature”. What who was he speaking to? The apostles. The great commission was given specifically to the apostles and was fulfilled by them as a few verses later the same chapter tells us, “"20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen" (Mark 16:20). The gospel had been preached in all the world to every creature very early, Colossians 1:23 " If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister" (Colossians 1:23).

We do not have the power to properly fulfill the Commission even if we wanted to as we do not have the accompanying signs and wonders Jesus declared those preaching the commission would have when he gave them the commission in Mark 16, only the apostles had that, "17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;8 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God." (Mark 16:17-19)

Why in the three Pastoral Epistles is there nothing even suggested of fulfilling the Great Commission by New Testament bishops and deacons?

God bless,

Brother Joe

#64 BrotherJoseph, Dec 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent post. More recently, I think about Evangelism Explosion which was started back in the 1960's by D. James Kennedy, out of Coral Ridge Pres.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know his story very well indeed. Do you know that Carey was a Calvinist, that all the folk who supported him initially (like Andrew Fuller) were Calvinists and that Particular Baptist missions were up and running long before Arminian ones?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BrotherJoseph

Hi Rev,

Belief in something does not make a lost soul a saved soul. If I believe I can fly, is it true that I can then fly? Can you give me an example of anything else in this world that by one believing in it makes it true? We believe something because it is already a fact. If the objective fact of Christ's redemption was dependent upon man's perception of that fact, then perception determines reality.

The fact is the children of the devil cannot believe the gospel, this is why Jesus told the Pharisees, "Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word." (John 8:43). Also, faith per scripture is a "fruit" of the spirit " (Gal 5:22), therefore one must first have the Spirit in him to produce the "fruit of the spirit". You have the cart before the horse. "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16), here you would probably agree that baptism is only an evidence of one who "shall be saved", so it is with the other thing mentioned in this verse- faith. Likewise, Romans 10:9 is a statement of fact, not a condition to eternal life, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." If you believe this verse teaches conditions to become saved rather than a fact of someone who will be saved, then you also believe one must "confess Christ" in addition to believe and this would be a work to become saved. Just like confession of faith is a result of being saved so is belief.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I don't know about Arminian ones. I am not an arminain. However that does not change what I said.

9. BrotherJoseph

Hi again Brother Jon,

The gospel means "good news". News is a declaration of facts that are published. Paul tells us what the gospel is and it is simply put the declaration that Christ died for the sins of His people and rose again, "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:" (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

I see no offer here in what Paul describes as "the gospel", do you? If so, please show me where? No the gospel is a declaration of good news and facts to His sheep to tell them how they were redeemed by Christ.

The parable you cited by Christ was given to set forth what those in the preceding chapter were employed to do, namely, that the kingdom was about to be taken away from the Jews and given to a nation (the Gentiles,) bringing forth the fruit thereof. “Go ye therefore into the highway,” &c. This accords with the apostle Paul's words when he asserted, " It was necessary that the gospel should be first preached to you; but seeing ye count yourselves unworthy of eternal life, lo we turn unto the Gentiles for so hath God commanded,” (Acts 13:46) and also, "This stone must be first refused by the builders, and God would make it the head of the corner, and a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence to them that stumbled at the word, being disobedient; whereunto they were appointed." (1 Peter 2:8). After the Jews had fulfilled what was written of them in relation to Christ, and stoning and slaying his disciples, and the messengers which were sent unto them, the great commission was given to the apostles by our Lord Jesus Christ, to go to another people, among the Gentiles, into the highways, and as many as ye find, (they that believe and are baptized.) bid to the marriage. The Jews as a people were utterly rejected, and Gentile sinners are compelled to come in, that his house may be full.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You "know" about the Calvinistic ones yet you are not a Calvinist.

And while nothing could change what you said, I think that there has been enough said to doubt its validity.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok well I don't need you to believe it. You can hold on to what you want. Doesn't change the past or what many many people p believed and understood. I will go eat my supper and get a good nights sleep either way.

12. BrotherJoseph

Brother Jon,

I didn't reply to it because you posted it in post 34 without replying or quoting to my post. You merely posted a scripture with no comments. Would you like me to do that or have I done that to you? Also, I do not see any of my points rebutted, but you just continue posting more scripture for me to reply to. I give a reply to your posts, then you do not tell me how my points are wrong, but then precede to quote more scripture, which I again reply to. This seems to me like a one way debate! Are you going to go back and rebuttal my points by showing me what scriptures I have wrongly interpreted along with their correct interpretation? I have done so for you.

As far as the scripture you have posted, it clearly states regarding the lost # 1) the gospel is "hid to them that are lost (2 Cor 4:3)" and 2) the lost have their minds "blinded" to the gospel Paul is preaching (2 Cor 4:4). Now that I have answered your post, please answer my questions, if Paul couldn't unhide his gospel to the lost or unblind their minds to his preaching of the gospel, how are you going to? Are you a greater evangelist than Paul?

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry to have put it that way, I did mean it partly tongue in cheek.

History does, however, show anti-missions Calvinism to have been a short-term, reactionary movement that resonated with a hyper minority and actually found home in a smaller Baptist sect. This is not subjective, brother.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ok well if that is what you want to hold on to then so be it. I'm good with that.

15. BrotherJoseph

Brother Jon,

I know the topic of the thread is the gospel for the lost, however you basically said that I do not share the gospel at all here,
    I do share the gospel here to His sheep that are on this forum whomever they may be (and I believe you to be one and myself too if I be not deceived).

God bless,

Brother Joe

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't change what you said being wrong. Calvinists have always been at the forefront of evangelism. JohnC has given you several fine examples; I can give you a load more if you want. Why not read up on John Patton, the missionary to the New Hebrides (now Vanuatu)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. You can hold on to whatever you want. I do not have a need to have you believe anything. There is a reason that most folks believe cals are not very evangelistic. the list of names presented does not change that. If you want to hold on to something else I will feel the same way about as I do with John. I will go eat my supper and get a good nights sleep because of it. Not something to fight about.

18. BrotherJoseph

Hi Brother Jon,

No, I do not believe God's children are confined to Primitive Baptist, they may be Calvinists, or Arminian. Paul's practice was to visit synagogues, where men already feared God (Acts 17:1-3). He is seen as the greatest preacher evangelist, but a study of the book of Acts will find him preaching only to worshippers and if people didn't believe in God or have no time for God, he had no interest in them. Paul wanted to preach to believers in Rome more than to others (Romans 1:15) Paul explained well that the gospel only benefits those already saved (1 Cor 1:18, 22-24). Paul prayer for deliverance from unbelievers, he had nothing for them. (2 Thess 3:-1-2). I share the gospel on this forum to His sheep, whomever they may be as I know there are children of God here.

God bless,

Brother Joe

• Like Like x 1
  19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it's good to know that being wrong doesn't worry you, which is possibly just as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There ya go. You get the last word. You're right, I'm wrong and since it has been posted on BB then the whole world knows and some sort of truth has been established. Good Job! Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1