1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are school teachers paid too much

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Feb 16, 2010.

?
  1. K- 3 grade teachers should only need a minimum of a high school diploma

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. 4-7 grade teachers should only need a minimum of an associates degree

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. 8-12 grade teachers should only need a minimum of a BA

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. There are too many administrators in our schools

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. There should be more consolation of schools

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. Teachers sick pay should be use it or loose it (no more than 2 years roll over)

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. A high school diploma should be sufficient for substitute teachers

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. There is an over emphasis of interscholastic sports in schools

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  9. Tenure should only be valid for 7 years at a time

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  10. The system seems to go against teachers in discipline, respect, ect

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==In North Carolina teacher pay stinks. At first, it is barely enough to live off of. Yet we pay our governor how much?

To answer your question, no. We need well educated people teaching our children. An associates or technical degree is not enough. All teachers should have at least a BA or BS degree.

#21 Martin, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  2. billreber

billreber New Member

The OP is a very hard question to answer. We need quality teachers who can do the job well, but how much needs to be paid to them?

I must admit that I am prejudiced AGAINST highly-paid teachers, because of a teacher I had in high school. This teacher was also the head of the local teacher's union. Sho was "always" in the news trying to get higher pay for teachers. HOWEVER, between the end of my junior year and the end of my senior year (12 months), she made THREE trips to France! (She was from France and taught French). All of the trips were paid for by her!

I saw that as "she makes enough money to go to France three times in a year? She makes enough money now, and other teachers probably do, too!" I now know that she probably was a very highly-paid teacher, higher than many others, but I still have that prejudice.

So my answer to the OP? Probably not for some teachers, but probably yes for others.

Bill :godisgood:

3. billwald

billwald New Member

There isn't enough money in the world for me to "teach" an inner city public junior high class.

4. targus

targus New Member

Why "inner city"?

"Inner city" junior high kids are different than others"

In what way?

Please... expand.

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Of course the race card comes out right from the bottom of the deck.

6. targus

targus New Member

He wrote it - I merely asked him to expand on it.

Do you know what he means?

Do you know how "inner city" kids are different?

I lived four blocks from the blind pig where the riots started in Detroit in 1967 and did not move away until going off to college in 1971.

Perhaps billwald could tell me how my classmates differ from other kids so much as to cause him to signal us out as the group that you could not pay him enough to teach - not that he would have anything to teach anyway.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I have to agree. I taught for only 4 years and if we didn't have a certain percent score at least a set increase from the test taken at the start of the year in the subject you were wrote up. Two write ups in three years you were out. However you could go to another district and apply.

I have to agree again. Like that professor at Huntsville, Al. real smart but had a hard time teaching, getting her point across.

I'm sure you do a fine job, and care greatly for your students and we all thank you for that. But I come across rather hard on the amount of hours a person works and vacation time or off days. Every job I know of people put in many hours at home, if one works a job or for self. Most weeks I work 70 hours or more and then do the work at home and honey do's. Most of the years that I was a pastor I worked 40 to 60 hours and then put 20 to 30 hours into the church work. I felt called to do it so I was happy to do it.
    I agree that education should help in any field. But some of the best professors that I had made the class come to life. Some people are just much better teachers than others, some people are much better at sports than others and so on. First I think if a person is doing what they want and are sold on, pay and hours don't come across very often.

The union was pushing back when I taught that we were losing our teachers because they were over worked and under paid.

Also if I recall correctly the union was the one pushing for nondispline back in the 60's, it wasn't the teachers job. Children would act correctly if treated correctly. I don't know, but I don't think that has worked.

I love good teachers but their are so many who aren't as their are in other fields. Here in our town we read about sex between the teachers and children, saw a lot of that in college way back when but didn't hear of it in public schools or private schools.

Like so many things,part of the public is turning from public schools and many use the schools as baby sitters. Here in Florida there is a deal that you can have school online for your children and they will enter act with public school teachers. Teachers are there to help. I know many a school teacher who home schools their children.

#27 Bob Alkire, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  8. billwald

billwald New Member

>"Inner city" junior high kids are different than others"

Trash card, not race card. If the inner city schools had a Japanese, Chinese, or Korean majority teaching in them would be a piece of cake.

When people talk about "race" only one "race" is ever the topic. One race and maybe one language group.

9. targus

targus New Member

Is see... what race would be the "trash" race?

You say that it is not the Japanese, Chinese or Koreans.

What race is it?

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I agree with you about hours and any job. I brought hours up because it is something that is frequently brought up. Teachers do, after all, only work from 8 to 3 each day. ;)

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? No way. No teacher works only from 8 to 3. They may be in the classroom those hours, but the work at home planning lessons, planning homework, planning bulletin boards and planning for those wonderful PTA meetings. It is anything but an 8 to 3 day. Even the elementary school librarian has lessons to plan after hours.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think her wink was a "this is sarcasm" alert.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

haha yes indeed it does.

14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

With the rude, inconsiderate, and too often violent students who bully other students (and/or teachers) and have no respect for teachers or anyone else, I don't think teachers get paid anywhere near what they're worth.

Teachers should be well educated considering what children are expected to learn in schools these days. I have a high school diploma and an associate degree and wouldn't be able to teach elementary school. The kids would be smarter than I am--especially on a computer. I found that out when I tried to teach Sunday school.