1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Smart Phones and E-readers worth it for reading the Bible/books?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 6, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would not be possible to get back the notes in my palm OS Bible app program for these reasons.

1) Palm Desktop is not readable under Mavericks or anything beyond Snow Leopard. I made the treacherous mistake of not EXPORTING my Palm OS NOTES data before moving to Mountain Lion.
    2). I do not have a Palm device anymore or its lost somewhere so how do I get those notes to a TextEdit file? I do not know.
    3). The Palm Bible app as far as I am aware has no export feature so one needs to manually copy and paste notes to the memo app and I have literally dozens of notes scattered around the Bible.
    4) Usually computer geeks and these type are not familiar with older devices and platforms like what I mentioned. Heck half of them were in High School when PDA's were prime 10 years ago.

However the only GOOD NEWS of all this is that I kept my Windows CE device around and also my old 1999 Compaq Laptop so I have all those notes and bookmarks. However all Palm OS notes and such were lost. That laptop is only used to connect to the CE device and thats it. No Internet or anything of the sort. It has no CD Burner, no working USB, but only floppies. How in the world would I get those notes to the Mac I wonder, since floppies are not supported under Mavericks as best I know. However I have a PCMCIA ethernet card that could be connected to a WIFI router and the Mac could access it, that would be the only way that I know of. However the bad news is that the Bible app for Windows CE has no export feature so the notes are only contained within the Bible app so for this I will keep the Windows CE device around. Buy parts on ebay if I need them. What a shame...

#21 evangelist6589, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh my goodness!!!! I am sorry for this. I bet he as very very depressed after that.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3000 books????? My goodness thats allot of books. I probably have less than 300.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I remember Padre's fire and I know one thing: NOTHING in this world is permanent and any form of notes, books and other resources we have can be taken in a heartbeat. Doesn't matter if it's digital or hard copy.

But I'd recommend, op, is that you stick with what you have right now. Financially, you are not in the place to be able to get all sorts of newfangled treats. If you already have a Mac, you have a Kindle. I know you don't like to read on your Mac but you still have the option to do it and sometimes we have to deal with what we have. My husband ONLY has a Kindle on his Mac because he uses a lot of reference books and that is the method he prefers. I have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it but mostly use it for regular reading - not studying. Definitely the Mac Kindle app is better for that.

So use what you have, don't worry about what you don't have and study the Word with the resources God gave you.

5. Ed B

Ed B Member

For me, e-readers such as Kindles and smartphones are fine when I am reading for entertainment. When I want to study or if I have some affection for the subject of the book I like the old fashioned hard-copy. I don't care for e-readers for my personal Bible reading and study but I will use them when a hard-copy isn't practical or isn't handy. I will also use Biblegateway to find passages or to copy/paste passages to a PowerPoint presentations.