1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are some Churches getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be sorry, go back and read the 3 passages I cited:

1 Corinthians 6:9-11.
    2 Timothy 2:19-22.
    Ephesians 4:17-24.

And let me qualify it a bit more:

In this life while we are in this flesh, these are the expectations that the Spirit of God speaks through His word. That this part of our existence be sanctified according to His desire.

Here is another:

Galatians 5
    19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.​

HankD

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did and there was nothing in them about Jesus dying to redeem our sexuality.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is our sexuality? Is it affected by sin?

ABSOLUTELY!

If it is affected by sin, then of course Jesus' blood affects our sexuality.

4. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then show a verse that says that Jesus died to redeem our sexuality.

Jesus died as the propitiation for our sin, to save us from God's wrath, and so that we might be children of God. Not to redeem our sexuality.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. And is our sexuality affected by sin?

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What about this verse:

It seems that our bodies are redemed as well which seems to include our sexuality.

7. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

The reason I lean towards an allegorical interpretation is because I believe Scripture to be more about Christ than about you or me. Simply making about sex makes it all about you and less and less about Christ. If you can tell me how sucking breast benefits me spiritually then please expound. If you don't like my interpretation fine but to arrogantly say I don't understand scripture is a problem. For maybe you have not read the passages about pride my friend.

In an allegorical interpretation it is about intimacy. That would be my take on it.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. ALL of us has been redeemed from sin. It's ALL affected.

If sexuality was not tainted by sin, then there would be no sexual sins. But there are. So it MUST be affected by the blood of Christ.

9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, sexuality is not a part of the body. Second, the body is dead, so why does sexuality have to be redeemed after death?

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you please show a verse that says that Jesus died to redeem our sexuality?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK let me parse it out a little bit more and supply another passage.

When we are redeemed, each aspect of our lives as human beings is (or should be since it requires our obedient cooperation) brought under the control of the Holy Spirit.

These four passages (as well as others) clearly spell out in no uncertain terms what manner of life is expected by our Father in heaven of His children. This expectation is not within our own power but the power of His resurrection when we reckon it to be so:

Romans 6
    4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
    6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
    8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
    9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
    10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
    14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Linking this passage with the Galatians 5 passage and the "crucifixion of the flesh", the control over this part of our humanity is also a product of the grace of God and the atonement of Jesus Christ (His resurrection in particular).

This word "reckon" in context has the sense of the deliberation of a fact and acting upon it. We ourselves are powerless to crucify our flesh. Therefore God has supplied that power through identifying with the resurrection of Jesus Christ as an act of our redeemed will.

To use the word "redeemed" concerning this part of our humanity means to acquire the power of control over the flesh within the parameters of the word of God.

In practical terms it means a scriptural and legal marriage between one man and one woman.

HankD

#91 HankD, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is an absurd statement: Here is what the bible says about it. Sexuality is very much apart of our bodies.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are exactly right. I have no tolerance for someone who signs up on this board with an agenda of not debating, but arguing with everyone, especially when then person who just signed up has such a lack of understanding of the issues involved.

If you cannot understand the difference in "I won them" and "the Lord drew them" then you really need some help. I do believe worship of the Lord means the honor and glory of anything focuses on Jesus, not us.

14. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

The reason this thread has gotten so heated is because we have gotten off task. The original question was about "some churches" not "all". Could or should the topic of sex and sexuality be taught in a biblical, God-honoring way. I think the answer is yes. But are "some churches getting out of hand?" I also think the answer is yes and you would be hard pressed to prove otherwise. For some, not all, are using signs and slogans that are secular and I believe go against the demand for the church to be holy and seperate. Remember Paul intructs us to "come out from them."

All the other post have become personal so maybe some new threads would be appropriate. I am not an administrator and don't want to be so please don't think I am trying to step over the line. I just think we are chasing a few rabbits here.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct Andy and many of the posts in this thread seem to violate warning # 3 of this forum.
    I have tried to speak in generalities but I am guilty as well.

HankD

#95 HankD, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sexuality is part of our being.

If you feel that sexuality is dead after coming to Christ, then I feel very sorry for your wife, if you are married. If you are not, then it only affects you.

But I'm grateful to God for redeeming ALL of me.

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's completely different.

Saying, "Because of the new nature I've received when I was born again, I am now compelled to bring my sexuality into submission to Christ" is not even remotely like "Christ died to redeem our sexuality".

I agree, but not one of them have anything to do with "Christ dying to redeem our sexuality".

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it is not a part of the body and the body in that verse is dead and, thus, does not have inherent sexuality.

No, I never said that sexuality is dead after coming to Christ. I said that the body referred to in that verse is dead. Paul is talking about the literal, physical bodies of Christians will be resurrected.

I'm grateful to Christ for dying to save me from God's wrath and that my sins may be forgiven. And I'm grateful to the Holy Spirit for regenerating me, thus giving me a new nature and causing my sexuality to naturally fall into submission to Christ.

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The following is a real add by a real church to promote one of these sex series. Please, somebody, tell me how this is Biblical:

http://www.alittleleaven.com/2009/04/beer-babes-baseball-on-easter-sunday.html

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you really believe that I have no understanding, then please email my church and express your concerns to them and explain why you believe I should not be preaching or teaching there.

[email protected]

Actually, I understand the difference very well. That's why I'm not the one who claimed they're the same thing.

I stand by the verses I cited for you, but if you would like to explain your opinion as to why those verses are wrong, I'll be happy to hear you out.

As do I.

#100 JohnDeereFan, May 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.