1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are there any Bible teachers you fully agree with.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, May 19, 2023.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I shouldn't have included him. Although I don't think most Baptists equate the Archangel Michael with Jesus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't say without president. Augustine and Aquinas had more influence in Western Theology as a whole. But Calvin did develop more precise ideas that are held across many denominations.

My point is Calvin (whose major education was humanistic law and philosophy) is viewed by most of Christianity as having been carried away by philosophy. So uplifting him as a God given teacher is highly subjective.

Why should Christians believe the ideas Calvin taught as being true when they are not in the text of Scripture? The only reason is tradition and personal preference. Same with Wesley and Luther.

God used these men, but there are areas of their theology that are based on human philosophy.

John Wesley died over two centuries ago, and his impact is still seen. As is Charles Finney and John Darby.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

What about a dictionary? What about an elementary education where you learned to read? What about a book binder? How did you find out your name in Hebrew is David Ben Abraham? Did the Holy Spirit tell you? Did you become a Christian without a preacher, a man? You are much more dependent on men than you even know.

But I have been reading your comments and know you are trying to lighten things up by being funny. We all need that sometimes. Thanks for it. You have made me chuckle more than once.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I must, then my teachers were always women and sin. They have always been my greatest influences. And Jesus was always there. There is nothing complicated with me. And sin is a splendid teacher from which to learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had responded this post and apparently it was deleted.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree, rather harsh though.

Rob

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob, I didn’t have a father for my formative years. My family talked about putting me away, maybe a military school or “Father Bakers” reform school in Buffalo New York. My mother was dealing with my older sister who is cerebral palsy, myself and my younger brother. I was a handful and she was a young widow so the middle child is expected to both help out and be independent… meaning be seen but not heard. Men were often rejected when they tried to parent me… not my father. I was very rebellious, angry and violent. Thank god for my grandmother and mother… they loved me unconditionally(allot there to unpack). By the time my wife entered the picture I was a criminal with a past, and she straightened me out. Lost our first ( still hurts deeply ) then had my only son. Oddly he is a unique man who rejects conformity, loves his family and his position as a man and father. Every serious conversation involved me telling him ‘to answer as a man’ and he does that. He is a blessing.
    Now watching these women, Jesus was always there for them, to comfort them, console them, provide morality and not be judgmental. I really learned God from them… not preachers and many times not scripture either. Like going to church was important, praying was important and putting your life in His hands, important.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are delusional

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Negative -
    I have had to tell him - that should not be the case.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    none of us are perfect… only God

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree!
    Now if I can just get "Jim" to fully understand

12. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell us something new.

13. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an objective fact that John Calvin was a God-given gift to the Church as has been the case of many others with more narrow orbits.

Calvin is not the least bit philosophical. He is theological. His sermons and commentaries are bibline.(a word I have borrowed from CHS).Did you know that Calvin was known as the theologian of the Holy Spirit?

I certainly disagree with him on the subject of baptism. He was out of character when it came to that subject. The overwhelming majority of his writings are biblically pristine.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is not an objective fact that John Calvin was a God given gift to the church. I suspect you know this.

It was not an objective fact to Christians who practiced "believers baptism". To them John Calvin was a heretic and a plague on Christianity.

It was not an objective fact to Anabaptists who opposed the union of Church and State as they viewed Calvin as teaching a dangerous heresy.

Calvin is theological. But for the most part Calvin is known for his philosophy (his ideas that exceeded God's revelation in the Bible). John Calvin studied philosophy and then changed to humanistic law. Calvin received his degree in law (not theology).

Calvin's first book was a commentary on Stoic philosophy as it pertains to law (De Clementia).

Throughout Calvin's work Stoic philosophy bleeds through. Most of Calvin's Institutes fail in terms of pure theology as it is Christian philosophy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhh my, Jon that’s a hard revelation to those who worship at the alter of Calvinism!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you still a Q follower?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just where are you getting stoic philosophy from?

18. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find very little of what Spurgeon wrote that I disagree with, so he probably comes closest. He even helped convince me about Limited Atonement (which I always found … and still find … a weak scriptural case and more of a strong Logical Argument).

• Like Like x 1
  19. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven’t found any disagreement with Dr. Adrian Rogers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said it and I believe it. I didn't say the gift, but a gift. Stop with your nonsensical "I suspect you know this."