1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there any ex-catholics on this forum?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by lanman87, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanman87

lanman87 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If so, can you share how/why you left Catholicism? My oldest son is considering Catholicism so I'm investigating the claims of the RCC. I've read several "testimonies" of folks who have left protestant churches for the RCC and am looking for stories of folks who left the RCC for protestant churches.

TIA

2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You will find that most who have left the Catholic Church for other faith traditions will trash the Latin Rite terribly. On the other hand, those who have come to the Latin Rite most often look to their former faith traditions favorably, as but a wonderful stepping stone to the original Universal Christian Church on this earth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly -

My wife & I have held the Reformed faith for about 60 years, so our sons were brought up in the faith. 3 were baptised as believers in their teens, & are continuing to serve in their churches.

The youngest met a Polish RC (living in England) on the internet, & accepted RC baptism before marriage. He doesn't take RC seriously, but the couple are very much in love. We get on very well with them & their two children, 4 & nearly 2.

We have avoided making religion a point of contention. She is happy for us to take the children to a Protestant playgroup at another son's church. Hopefully there is enough common ground to for them to move forward to a true & living faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The RCC is NOT the true universal church, as the true church of Christ here on earth is made up of all the redeemed out from every assembly on Earth!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My senior pastor and half of my church were raised roman catholic, and they all moved on once saved, as the Gospel of the Bible is not that of the Church of Rome!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the core reason he wants to move to the RCC? Do you know?

7. lanman87

lanman87 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is simple. He has been dating a girl for about 6 years who is Catholic. She gave him Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn to read and Catholic and Christian by Alan Schreck. I have read them both and consider them propaganda books. However, he is drawn to the intellectualism and historic claims of the RCC.

Also, his best friend was killed in a car wreck a few months ago. His friend went to church with him since they were in the 6th grade. A couple of years ago his friend told him that he had become an atheist. The elderly baptist preacher who preached at the funeral didn't do a great job and somehow offended my son(who is 20 years old). My son recently told me that he would never set foot in a Baptist church again. I think he kinda blames the Baptist church for what happened to his friend.

8. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why would a Catholic who becomes Born Again by giving their life to Christ want to leave the Catholic Church for a Protestant Church? It is not necessary for a Catholic who becomes Born Again by giving their life to Christ to leave the Catholic Church for a Protestant Church. They can attend the Catholic Church on Saturday Vigil Mass at the local Catholic parish and then attend a Protestant Church on Sunday mornings. That is what I do. I am a Catholic who is Born Again because I gave my life to Christ. I attend Saturday Vigil Mass at the local Catholic parish and then I attend the local Baptist Church on Sunday mornings.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real crux of Christianity is being born again.......without that experience, whatever he does wont matter....IE he will be satisfied with Church, Religion, because they will be mere shells to his Spiritual nature. This is what true Christians believe.....Catholics emphasize jumping thru the hoops of Church, the 7 Sacraments and constantly going to confession to cleanse your soul of sin. In a way, its an easy religion to sell someone. But it does not really focus on saving you. In truth, nothing does save the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

In truth, I think this has more to do with the girlfriend than anything else. But I wouldn't harp on that....rather I would slowly & patiently guide him through making a God filled choice he could live with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lanman87

lanman87 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for people to leave the RCC. I'm just interested in the reasons why some have chose to leave and enter protestant (in this case Baptist) churches.

11. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As a Catholic I have not been to confession since 1986. The next time I go to confession will be when I find a Catholic woman to marry and I have to go to confession before the Nuptial Mass or the wedding can't take place. Of course I will not believe I will be forgiven of sins by the priest. What you stated that Catholics constantly going to confession is not true. According to Catholic teaching a Catholic is only supposed to go to confession once a year. But I jettison that over 30 years ago.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK.....I haven't been a Catholic in 30 years. So if you have an updated booklet, send it to the guy. But listen John, how important is it for a Catholic to be born again?

13. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have no idea how important it is for a Catholic to be born again. I was raised by my Catholic parents to read the Bible almost every day. I am so familiar with the outline of the Bible that I can go to any book in the Bible within a matter of seconds. I also was raised by my Catholic parents to start watching Billy Graham Crusades when I was around 8 years old to learn the Evangelical Protestant doctrine of salvation. I did not heed the prompting of the Holy Spirit to give my life to Christ until November 1997 when I gave my life to Christ during an Altar Call at a Non Denominational Church.

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's intellectualism he's craving, that can certainly be found within the baptist tradition.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you choose Christ before he chose you?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably due to the truth that God commands that person to leave, for what has darkness to do with light? They would be very uncomfortable, hearing the fasle mass all the time, and false theology all the time!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If not that, really can be found in Reformed also!

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y ....please don't confuse the situation. This guy has enough to deal with. Let him sort it out with his son. Father & son have to speak together with love & respect ,,,, not contentiously.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Watch the movie "Blue Like Jazz." Your son might relate.

20. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

I was born into and raised Roman Catholic for 30 years, confirmed, etc, and even briefly worked in a specialized 'ministry' dealing with 'miracles', 'sightings' and 'saints' of Rome, which 'ministry' was noted on EWTN, and my family, for the most part still work for, under, the local bishop where I live.

However, I am, by God's loving and saving grace, mercy and providence, I am no longer a Roman Catholic, but now a full "blooded' (the blood of Jesus) 7th day Adventist, those whom are prophesied in scripture (Revelation 10:1-11; 14:6-12; etc.) to herald the second advent of Jesus Christ (as John baptist was for the first).

You may want to consider the multitudinous evidences I bring about Romanism, for instance consider this thread to begin with -

666 - The scriptural [KJB] Truth

There is literally thousands of pages and pictures to document everything stated, as well as scripture [KJB] to lay the sure foundation.

Two people should not marry if they are of differing faiths. It is forbidden in the bible [KJB], and numerous examples may be cited upon request, and it is forbidden with specific reasons and consequences, which can be eternally deadly. It can also thoroughly confuse any children born of such an unequally yoked union.

Rome is deadly, physically, spiritually, mentally. I make no joke, I exaggerate nothing, but state the fact of the matter, as may be thoroughly documented from the highest official sources (some in Latin, etc.).

"Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues."

You must also flee out of the midst of her daughters...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.