1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are There Changes Ahead?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by tyndale1946, Oct 16, 2017.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just read on the internet that because of the hit on Aaron Rodgers yesterday, and the possibility of him lost to this season, that there might be a rule change coming... The writer said that the QB should be treated in the same manner as a kicker or punter... Once the ball is released you can't touch him period... But will the hit that was deemed legal have a rule change and the player be fined later, determining that it was illegal... The jury is still out on this one... The play resulted in Rodgers having a broken collar bone and at this posting out for the season... So is there a rule change coming, to further protect the QB?... Or should Rodgers just suck it up and everyone quit bellyaching, this is Football!... Brother Glen:)

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I understand the idea of protecting the quarterback from injury. But in my mind, that's your defenses' job, not the league's.

If you don't want your quarterback getting hit hard, train your linemen to protect him.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be totally against such a rule. Is it because this was Aaron Rodgers? Tony Romo lost most of a season in 2010 for that same injury (broken clavicle). But protecting QB's the same as kickers-- then all a QB has to do is fake a throw to cause defenders to hold up; and if they can't, just drop the ball as long as it's before contact. Shove it!

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone will agree that the QB is the heart/soul of a team, by far its most valuable player and expensive asset. The game is NOT the same with a #2 back-up who simply hasn't had the reps in practice and linked-minds with receiving corps.

If I run a business and have a foreman who cannot be replaced, I pay him more and give him benefits. I don't put him in dirty jobs or risk harming/losing him. A coach must look at his "asset" the same way. If more rules are needed so the game is played safely, then I'm all for tweaking the rules to protect the QB.

And with Bradford gone, I picked the Pack as easy winners over Vikings (my #1 and #2 fan choice teams). But Minnesota back-up had time to prepare and get into game rhythm. Packer back-up looked like a deer in the headlights.