1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are there Such things as Christian rock/country etc?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Annsni...

Sorry. I gave Lacry a shot. A chance to convince me. I chose the 1st link.

But from the moment he started the rapping, it me 2 seconds to (quickly)) make it stop.

Its completly unlistenable. I cant understand how anyone can want to listen to that noise , when music is available.???

Now I have heard some hip hop that I could listen to. But not rap. Its unlistenable.

#21 Alive in Christ, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I feel the same way about most rap/hiphop but we have to admit that is just a personal bias and not reflection of whether or not a specific style of music can or cannot glorify God.

I can hear my mother, "How can anything that loud glorify God?" and my response, "Do you remember how your parents responded to your music?" :tongue3:

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I posted the following on another thread but believe it is appropriate here.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    guess that means Alice cooper will not be preaching from your church pulpit, or leading worship either!

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seriously doubt it!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    even IF he washed off his face mask, and comes in his business suit look?

7. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then it would depend on if he left any other garbage outside the door of the church.

Whether we like to admit it or not, it isn't always about personal taste or accomodating another culture.

Whether we are talking music, clothing, art, body art, etc, they carry meaning.

Right now, where I live, gang tattoes are the rage. We get some wanna be cool preacher boys going and getting tats in order to fit in. Trouble is, they don't take time to know what the tats they get are saying. Just pretty pictures or stylistic words and numbers to them. They have no idea they may be telling gangbangers how many they have killed, what kind of time they have done, or where. They have no idea some of the tats on both men and women are signs of what their preferences are in the bedroom, what they will and will not do and with whom.

Now, when our gangbangers get saved they want their tats gone. If they cannot get them lasered off for some reason, they cover them. That is part of their past, a culture they left to follow Jesus.

And they have no respect for someone imitating that culture to fit in, or clinging to it after claiming to be saved. And if someone wants to flaunt tats 6 days of the week and cover on Sundays for church they are considered hypocrits.

I think the same idea holds for other cultural issues. We don't just condemn anything out of hand, but find out what it means to folks in that culture, what the aim is.

And if it is promoting unGodly behavior, we don't try to dress it up and pass it off so as to be "just like the unsaved."

No, we follow Christ whether it is cool and hip or not, and we call the unsaved OUT of anything culturally that reeks of sin.

I look at the stats of those who claim to be reaching people with some of this stuff--be it the Christian country I like to listen to, or Christian rap, or what is big here also crunchy Christian, and look at the lives of the people they claim to have reached. Here at least they don't seem to leave off the bars, the drugs, the abortions and sleeping around and divorces and beating up on folks.

So I question if they have been reached.

But those professing salvation that were reached by the uncool, unhip conservatives do seem to be changed people. They do seem to be walking away from the garbage (sin) that bound them before Christ.

I'm beginning to think we unintentionally are giving the message that you can come to Christ and get saved and NOTHING ELSE CHANGES except your eternal destination.

Maybe we need to go back to "come ye out from among them."