1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are these signs of Jesus's return?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, May 12, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Cyclone that kills over 100,000 people, earthquake in Tokyo, earthquake in China, crazy brush fires that has caused some serious evacuations here in Florida, tornado's in the west. This is all in just one week!!!!

I think these are signs!!:thumbs:

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you base this idea on? As happened with earthquakes, the Indonesian tidal wave, hurricanes Rita and Katrina, among other disasters, the loss of many lives and billions in property is because of world population. There are so many people now to be killed or injured, and so many buildings and developments to be destroyed that with roughly the same 'schedule' of natural disasters they will inevitably be more disastrous.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Short answer = No. However, I bet Jack van Impe has had some good shows this past few weeks.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think the cyclone in Myanmar and the earthquake in China, were in different weeks, not the same week.

And I agree, there are more people, so when a disaster happens, there are more that can possibly be killed.
    Weather disasters aren't new, they happen all the time. But now in modern days we have the ability to know about it within minutes, which makes it seem as if we have more of them. Way back, before modern communications and satelites, we may never have known about these, and if so it may have been weeks or months.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Are these signs of Jesus return?

No

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are continuous earthquakes in Tokyo. When we lived in Yokohama we felt them all the time. Most are not damaging, as this one was not. China also has earthquakes all the time, and every ten or twenty years one that does a great deal of damage as this one did. Burma has cyclones all the time, too (as we have dozens of typhoons every year in Japan), but few that do the damage this one did.

When an earthquake splits the Mount of Olives, or I see angels flying around with trumpets, then I'll take notice (and maybe rethink my pretrib position). :laugh:

7. soninme

soninme New Member

Im not to sure bro , but thought i would just throw this in the melting pot , lol .

6And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

who knows . :jesus:

8. GrapeApe

GrapeApe New Member

I think the question should more accurately be, "are these signs of the end times?"

Which the answer would be, yes, according to Matthew 24:5-7.

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes - God uses them to wake us up and remind us of the brevity of life and the fact that the world will soon end.

But I believe that Satan is the one that causes them -- as he is given more and more control over elements in this world -- which is also a sign of the end.

in Christ,

Bob

10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Yes, these are signs. God is trying to get men's attention. However, these are the same signs he has been using for hundreds of years, and their effectiveness is less and less--which can be taken as a good sing or a bad sign...

11. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

Sign of Jesus return? Probably not, these signs have been around for thousands of years. This doesn't necessarily mean the end isn't close, but I don't think they prove anything.

Signs of the end times? Possibly, but the end could still be a long way away.

12. Hebron

Hebron New Member

Matthew 24:32-36
    Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

So likewise ye, when you shall see all these things know that it is near, even at the doors

These things that are happening in the world have a significance in relationship with the verses above. The significance is that Israel is back in the land and yes Jesus is coming soon!!!

NOW LEARN A PARABLE (or a lesson) OF THE FIG TREE (of the Israeli nation). (Note, the Israeli nation had to be reborn. Without this key event being in place, no other prophecy of the latter days meant anything.) WHEN HIS BRANCH IS YET TENDER, AND PUTTETH FORTH LEAVES (the branch on the tree becomes tender after the long, cold winter. When Israel is yet tender and puts forth leaves—this indicates the spring time), YE KNOW THAT SUMMER IS NIGH. (When one would see the Israeli nation come forth, and his branches tender, and leaves coming forth, you would know summer is near or you would know that certain things are near.) SO LIKEWISE YE, WHEN YE SHALL SEE ALL THESE THINGS (the list of things that Jesus just gave in the previous verses), KNOW THAT IT IS NEAR, EVEN AT THE DOORS. (Again, we see the command to know that certain events are at the doors and are going to happen )

13. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Many of us already aware of Matthew 24:5-14 about the signs of the end of the world and His coming. Throughout centuries, many Christians were expecting Christ might come in their lifetime, because they have seen many signs and happenings with disaters and natural disaters, wars, etc. They thought these signs showing them that Christ's cominh draw near in the rlifetime. There are so many signs are happening for past almost 2,000 years already since Christ ascends to heaven. We have seen so many earthquakes, typroons, hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, wars, deadly pestilences lately. But, these have been happened for many centuries.

In 2 Peter chapter 3 talks about the last days scoffers. They saying, 'where is the promise of His coming?' Many were already sleeping(died). They have been heard old story og gospel saying, "Jesus is coming!" They make fun on Christians and mock at God, they do not believe Jesus is coming again- never. Same with the example of Noah's days. Scoffers do not believe flood will destroy whole planet earth. They though Noah was so nut for warning.

In 2 Peter 3:8-13 telling us, His coming shall be like as thief. His coming will be a suddenly or imminence. Peter's point mentioned on 'a thousand years'. He explained that, our time seems too long feel like 1000 years - forver, - will never happen. But, in the Lord's sight, his time is very short as 1000 years is like ONE DAY in Lord's sight.

Peter means that, His coming will be QUICKLY, without expecting.

Interesting, I read another Christian dicussion forum. A person typed of a link of weather events on tornadoes. In topic about the signs of His coming. He gives a link of tornadoes through the last 4 years period, by comparing with 4 years period of the chart. Here's link: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/torn/monthlytornstats.html

I would like you to looking at it. It is very interesting information.

In my personality feeling that Christ's coming is seem draw much closer in our days.

Because, I am no doubt, this 2008 U.S. Presidential Election will be the last one. I would not be surprise, either one of Barak orClinto will win Presidential Election last year. Eith one of them will cause America's moral changing much dramatically quicly. America will face big change with moral values, standards, spirituality, and also, laws. We will facing more hardships ahead in 2009.

BobRyan is right. I believe these signs are showing us of the warnings by God that the judgment is coming. God's purpose is, he commands us that everyone of us ought to repent of our sins before too late - 2 Peter 3:9.

I am no doubts, I believe natural disaters are increasing so dramatically right now in our sights.

While the war in Iraq is quieting down for a while. But, we better be prapare for another big shock event such as Sept 11 Attacks happened. Never know. We must guard our spiritual and faith when trials or temptations come upon us, we must stand and be strong no matter what happen. And of course, we ought always be watch and be ready all the times, not know when Christ comes. His coming will be quickly or imminence. If we don't watch and ready. We would be end up as "thief" of Matt. 24:40-41, being catch us and cast away in the lake of fire at His coming.

Bible commands us that we ought repentance, watch, sober, always ready, guard our faith and spiritual. Because we all shall face the judgement to bring our future final eternity destiny which we will go to be with the Lord, or go to lake of fire. Our life is very short time. That why, we must making decisions for our own eternity destiny right NOW, not wait till last minute, or be too late.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

14. Hebron

Hebron New Member

Jesus Himself new that these things were not unusual He even said the poor will always be with us. It's the fact that Israel is back in the land, not for anything that the Jewish people have done to deserve to be back, but they are back so that God can fulfill the promises He gave them and that the prophecies might be fulfilled of His coming so that He maybe glorified (not us or the Jew)
    Jesus is coming soon and God speaks of ALL thses things happening after Israel (the fig tree) is back in the land starting as if in birth pangs culminating in His coming. Israel is where we should look to see Gods hand working in the world.
    It is scriptural also to watch for His coming and those who watch and wait a reward is given.
    THE CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS This crown is given to all those who love the appearing of Christ. They not only are trusting Christ for salvation and loving Him because He loved them, but they are also looking forward to the personal coming of Christ in glory and power, when they will be caught up with other Christians in the clouds to meet Him in the air (I Thess. 4:14-17). Because this should be the blessed hope of every believer.
    You will notice it does not say there is a reward for us going to in this verse, but it says we should love and long for the appearing

2 Timothy 4:8
    8From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

#14 Hebron, May 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008