1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we "little christs"?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by MalkyEL, Apr 5, 2004.

1. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

I have often wondered about the concept of being "little christs" or "little gods" as some denominations call it. Is this something that we can prove Scripturally? Anyone have a thought on this?

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we "little christs"?

We sure ain't big ones; that's all I know for sure.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some people are gods to themselves. They think they are the standard by which all others are judged.

The early Christians were called Christians because they were followers of Christ. But before that they were called the "Way."

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Posting Rule #13: . No cross posting. Do not post the same message to more than one forum.

Just a friendly reminder!

Diane

5. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

thanks, Diane - could you please explain that - you lost me???

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

It seems your post has doubled. Probably an error or hitting the submit key twice. We'll get someone to delete the other one.

My reply there was.... I've heard this mentioned by some New Age people but never by a Baptist preacher or otherwise.

Diane

7. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

thank you - I did notify a moderator as soon as it happened but it has not been deleted as of yet.

8. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

This thread seems to somehow have got split into two. So am pulling a quote from the least used thread and posting it here...so it is not lost

Dianetavegia posted April 05, 2004 09:03 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've heard this from some New Age people but never from a Baptist.

Diane

End quote

Interesting that you would say that Diane. I am sure you would know, and it is certainly known as heresy with any Baptists I know.

That's why it's odd to see it promoted by Baptists here on this forum.

From the thread, The Passion of Jesus From A Medical Point of View pg 3

Charles Meadows quote :

Sharpsword,

Sorry if I offended you, perhaps I have said too much. I'll leave it at this.

1 Jn 4:7,8 "Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."

Simply put I think you interpret the Scriptures in way to legalistic a framework, and as such lose a good deal of the meaning. I do not condone sin, especially the sins that society is trying to legitimize - but I think we must show Christ's love first and foremost. We'll win the lost by being "little Christs" and not by beating them with the bible.
    http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/3878/3.html

Just really a puzzler to me. :confused:

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't know Charles or his church affiliation but since he posted on a Baptist Only forum, I assume he is Baptist. I can't speak for him but I would read that as being 'Christ like' but not 'little gods'.

Diane [​IMG]

10. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

It's interesting that the little gods or little christs heresy has been taught by Jack Hayford and similar.

Diane "I don't know Charles or his church affiliation but since he posted on a Baptist Only forum, I assume he is Baptist. I can't speak for him but I would read that as being 'Christ like' but not 'little gods'."

Really? I didn't take it like that at all because the phrase, as you so aptly pointed out, is known to be new age and associated with that heresy.

I thought you knew Dr. Meadows really well... the way you talked on the other thread. He's former catholic and now attends a Baptist church. I assumed you knew that, as he talked about it yesterday or the day before too. Oh well. Don't ever assume anything I guess...always test the spirits and the fruit. Not that this can be a real issue as you say.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sorry SharpSword, I read Today's Active Topics and don't read far back on the threads. I do not know the gentleman. I know he's a medical doctor from his introduction or a mention in an earlier post.

I don't think I've ever heard Jack Hayford and am not into t.v. preachers. I've heard the term Little God's from a New Age woman on a forum I used to Administrate. I've not heard the term 'Little Christ's' but from scripture know we should be 'Christ like' and from hymns 'more like Jesus'.

Diane

12. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

The concept of "little gods" or "little christs" is actually one of the Word of Faith/Charismatic movement. It is based on the theology that Jesus, when He died, took on the nature of satan, in hell, in order to bear our sins. God resurrected Him, He was "born again" and became a God.

By confession of faith and belief in Jesus, you then take on that "born again" nature and are considered a "little god/christ". This teaching is conceptualized from the text that we have the mind of Christ.

It then further allows one to gain faith by confessing certain verses repeatedly until one gains enough faith to believe he has authority to be as Christ with the same powers and abilities to heal the sick and cast out demons.

13. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

MalkyEl:

It then further allows one to gain faith by confessing certain verses repeatedly until one gains enough faith to believe he has authority to be as Christ with the same powers and abilities to heal the sick and cast out demons.

S&T:

Would this not fall into the vain repetition category? It sounds like a mantra in eastern religions.

14. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

S&T wrote:

Would this not fall into the vain repetition category? It sounds like a mantra in eastern religions.

MalkyElahh:
    You are so right on. I heard Kenneth Copeland tell a story once - that he woke up one morning with the flu. He refused to accept it and began to quote the verse, "by His stripes I am healed". He said he repeated it 800 hundred times that day and was healed. My question - if mantras are demonic in nature - does this constitute a mantra, and if so, who did the healing?

This also brings up another valid point. The Word of Faith movement is a strong advocate and promoter of speaking in tongues. Jesus told us not to pray in vain repetitions. I have often wondered if this does not fall under the "umbrella" of this teaching. If you have ever listened to those speaking in tongues, it is very repetitive and often, everyone seems to be "saying" the exact same syllables. It reminds one of a mantra, no doubt.

15. Spirit and Truth

Why is this any different than praying the rosary over and over? Hey....it worked for Mel......didn't it?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Why, S&T, you couldn't possibly be referring to the passion movie as being influenced by mysticism and divination . . . are you? [​IMG]

17. Spirit and Truth

Is my divination"breath" from watching the movie four times that bad? According to catholic websites, Mel prayed the 15 prayers of st Bridgit for quite a few years every day. I would consider that repetitive.

18. Spirit and Truth

Is my divination"breath" from watching the movie four times that bad? According to catholic websites, Mel prayed the 15 prayers of st Bridgit for quite a few years every day. I would consider that repetitive.

19. Spirit and Truth

20. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

That's an interesting concept. Praying Bridgets 15 prayers come with 20 plus promises if a person prays them everyday for a year with no misses. Not only repetitive and mantras, but superstitious too.