1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are we reaching men?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

SO what? Who in the world disagrees with this?

What could be more meaningless than posting quotes that do not address the subject being discussed.

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed....It is an interesting fact that the first man mentioned in the Bible as being "MEEK" was Moses....yes...Moses.

Not a metro-sexual Jeremiah who was crying or squelching all the time...but MOSES...(Charleton Heston) if you prefer...
    A MAN...his PRIMARY attribute was strength. "Meekness" is "strength" under control...but you have to have the "strength" first...the modern era is big on the control...nil on the strength..

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I see your Spurgeon quote and raise you this one that is even MORE related to this thread:

"Rubber, baby, buggy bumpers!"

Now, I think we all know tha the ol' RBBB beats an unrelated Spurgeon quote.

That's just like a flush beats two pair.

I take this hand.

Your deal.

Perhaps you could play an emancipation proclamation quote and then flee without showing its relevance.

But I'll have to warn you, it looks like I have the makings of a "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers," hand!

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

#23 Luke2427, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wrote:

...which is simultaneously an insult and a strawman. Your comment about men on BB admiring the style of Joel Osteen's ministry is likewise a strawman and an insulting claim with no support.

You are not even aware you do this sort of thing, which is amazingly ignorant.

Yes, precisely, how can you do it?

If you are wondering the gender of InTheLight, yes I am a male. I'm a man who does manly things in a manly manner, like pull wire, hang sheet rock, replace transmissions with other manly men, as well. <rolls eyes>

You really need to quit looking to pick fights with people by posting deliberately provocative stuff that has no basis in fact.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I did not claim that these men ADMIRE Osteen's ministry. I said some of them have apparently adopted the STYLE of it because they repudiate aggressiveness and call for nothing but unrelenting gentleness all of the time.

I have pointed this out ad nauseum so it is not a claim without a warrant. You have seen where I confront people for this idea that gentleness is a universal rule for all Christians all of the time. You have seen me confront them so why do you call them straw men?

Except that the FACT is that several, several men on here have repeatedly made the claim that I ought to ALWAYS be gentle. That is a FACT. It is the FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE of Joel Osteen's ministry. He AVOIDS controversy like the plague and he utterly detests the thought of ever being blunt, harsh and frank.

That is what these guys are saying I should do. That I should ALWAYS seek to be gentle in every circumstance all of the time.

John of Japan LITERALLY ARGUED that Jesus was NEVER harsh- neither was Paul he said!!!

Old Union just started a thread to lecture guys for being everything Joel Osteen would never be.

These are not straw men, ILT.

They simply are not.

6. Herald

Herald New Member

I do not disagree that there has been a feminization of men in America, and the church has not been immune to this. It is judgment on the church when men abdicate their God-ordained role (Judges 4:9). That said, true manhood comes from internal character; character that has been molded by the Spirit. There are times when being a man requires being direct or even blunt. It sometimes requires confrontation of wrong doing. Conversely being a man sometimes is proven through compassion and kindness. I had the honor of watching my maternal grandfather show me what being a man was all about. He was a big strapping Italian with hands the size of tennis rackets. He exuded intimidation by his physical presence. He was firm, yet kind hearted. He commanded respect without fear. He measured his words and meant what he said. He gave me an example that is hard to live up to.

7. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Sounds to me like you have this covered....I don't quite recognize how grampa's status as an (Italian) is more signifigant than mine as a (Norwegian)...but, perhaps you only mentioned it as an ancillary fact. Anyway...this Italian Grampa of yours sounds like a man that I'd be proud to know. :thumbs: He sounds like a real "Man"...and someone who taught you well :thumbsup:

8. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Seriously??
    Please tell me that the inestimable (I do admire him in many ways) JoJ...did NOT actually say anything like this, perhaps you misunderstood him?

What did he say to the woman in Mark chapter 8 about how one doesn't feed to "dogs" that which belongs to "children"...Jesus was never "harsh"?? Gimme a break.
    The woman's response was PURE GOLD BTW...:smilewinkgrin:

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, I think this is excellent.

I agree.

Manliness is best seen in strength. That is what God gave us more of than he gave to women.

Tenderness is what God gave more of to women than he did to men.

But a good woman will be appropriately strong and a good man will be appropriately tender.

The problem today, as you noted, is that society and some on baptistboard seem to want to make men NO STRONGER than women and JUST AS TENDER.

This turns men with half a brain off. They know better and they do not wish to go to church and have their advantages and distinctives stripped away. And I don't blame them because God doesn't want that either.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke, I have read through all of this thread and I must say you talk out of both sides of your mouth. You really seem confused.

In my life I have noticed that those you men, the stallions as you said earlier, are almost universally loud mouth, arrogant bullies who when push comes to shove are not to be found.

I have found the real "stallions" often to be quiet, gentle men who have steel under the surface and do not have to let it show to impress others. I remember loud mouth GIs when I was in the army. They were not the tough fellows. In turn, I never met a loud mouth Green Beret. Those I met were always respectful, quiet talking and interesting. Interestingly the loud mouth fellows never challenged the Green Beret's. We all knew who to trust when push came to shove.

The same has been true through the rest of my life. If I want tough, dedicated, trustful men I do not go out looking for the beer drinking, loud mouth fellows. I look for the quiet, built of steel men. They are in all churches if you just but look below the surface. I want dedication, not bluster.

Come to the little church I attend and I will introduce you to some very gentle, quiet, tough men.

Blessings.

#30 Crabtownboy, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct--you did not say ADMIRE, you said EMBRACE Osteen's style.

I have not seen you confront them on gentleness as a universal rule for Christians, so perhaps I was misplacing my strawman allegation. If so, I apologize.

OK, let's say there are several on this board that advocate universal gentleness. That's a far cry from your OP where it was stated "40% of the guys in churches are chicks". Using Osteen as an example of sissified-ness and then claiming posters on BB embrace his style is guilt by association.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two words to characterize this post.

Bull Sh--.

You need to read a little on Richard Wurmbrand and the thousands suffering everyday for the name of Christ, who eschew your worldly view of manhood, and see if you could handle a tenth of the persecution.

Wuss.

You sound like a Calvinist, but you smell like an Arminian.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You almost nailed it!!!! Not quite though..... the Calvinist has NO interest in the human prospective, human ability etc.... It is all of God! What we see here is an attempt at disassociation with the faith..... any wonder why the Armianians are applauding, and the aroma ( like cheap cologne), is nauseating!

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:applause::applause::applause:

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs: Second that.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for insulting my intelligence. This type of reply is why I rarely debate with you.

Sorry Luke, but arrogance, bull-headedness, and pushiness are not attributes of a manly man. They are attributes of a fool.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You seem incapable of representing someone with whom you debate honestly.

I said "...embrace Osteen's style..."

You represented that as "... Admire Osteens ministry..."

Those are TOTALLY different things.

I said the DEAD LEVEL OPPOSITE when I said that these guys would NOT embrace his SUBSTANCE. That has a lot to do with his MINISTRY. Hello?

It is not good to misrepresent the person's argument whom you debate.

I have though and it is relatively common knowledge. It is truly not a strawman.

That's not even close. Please try harder to do what I admonish you to do at the beginning of this post.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This post is the epitome of bull-headedness.

It is insulting and ugly and everything you CLAIM to repudiate in me.

It is hypocritical in the highest degree.

And THAT is why you don't debate me. I don't let this kind of crud go unchecked.

And you hate it.

That's why. Be honest.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

How is my view worldly?

How is anything I said contradictory to Richard Wurmbrand's work?

You see any coward can pop in like you do here and make a claim without a warrant and flee for the hills.

It takes character to make a claim like this and support it and stick around and see if your claim can be demolished by the person you debate.

It can by the way. You don't know what you are talking about and it is patently obvious.

20. Monster

Monster New Member

While I despise feeding the trolls;

Luke and heiro are playing games. It seems as if they are enjoying stirring the pot and causing dissension.

They talk about men and being manly. But they're simply little boys playing with power tools that they either don't understand or are purposefully choosing to use them to mislead and once again, cause dissension.

What a waste of intelligence and a sad pretense of manliness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.