1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

are we teaching and preaching what church members need to know to live the Christian

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Plain Old Bill, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I have been in many churches and have found that the membership is not being taught what they need to know to live a successful Christian life. I would think the starting place would be going through a study such as A Handbood for Christian Maturity by Bill Bright and Major Bible Themes by Chafer and Walvoord would be a good starting place.Many in church do not know even these fundamental things no matter how long they have been in the church.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

A pastor with an ear for the Lord and a keen eye on his congregation; combine that with the exposition of scripture. I think we need less 10 steps to "this" and 5 steps to "that" and far more exposition of scripture. God's Word stands on its own, and that's what (in my opinion) people are starving for.

If there is a need to preach topically, go for it...but do it with exposition of scripture in context.

Again, this is the opinion of a (confident) greenhorn pastor.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And an "Amen" from a 35 year vet. Expository preaching - verse by verse, phrase by phrase in Romans, for example, will teach more than a hundred topical sermons.

Let the WORD speak, not the clever outline of a preacher.

4. David Mark

David Mark New Member

[​IMG]

Dave.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dave.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dittos here as well

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Egg on my face. I did not mean for these lessons on practical Christian living and Bible doctrine to be preached on Sunday morning but more like in a Sunday school class or pre-evening service or home bible study. Again my apologies in that vein however I do find many young and old Christians alike that do not know the fundamentals of Bible doctrine or how to live the Christian life. These references are not cast in stone they are meant only as something along those lines.
    I mention these because they pretty well cover the basics of getting someone started in the Christian life and get a good foundation in Bible doctrine. To often the new converts classes are 6 weeks long and now you know all you need to.
    When going to the Baptist top 1000 or the Fundamental top 1000 you see opportunities for in depth Bible study only to find out there is no depth at all.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We've go to do more than just preach. We must also teach them by training them to do ministry on their own so they can reach people where they live and work.