1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You A Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Aug 20, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. Not sure, or am in transition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heavensdad spoke of having the weight of Scripture pressing down on him.He spent a vast amount of time in the Word and prayer asking the Lord to convince him of the truth.Then,in response to that you in essence are saying Calvinism is just the word of mere men;not Scripture. You don't read well.But some others from your side of the aisle have the same problem.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I never accused anyone here of denying an essential of the faith. Again, please go back and read what I actually said. I think you and some others are not paying attention here.

Again, I will take the liberty of quoting myself via cut and paste from earlier in this thread:

Notice please that I expressly say that it doesn't mean they are unsaved and it doesn't mean they are preaching another gospel.

Marcia, you may do what wish with other people's words, but before accusing me of saying something I didn't say, please read and understand what I actually did say.

I find it amazing that you make this statement. Never at any time did I say anything remotely close to this. Again, go back and read. My comment about Galatians was in reference to your comment that someone should not point out error to a fellow believer. I was asking you about a biblical example of someone pointing out error to a fellow believer. I did not identify the error.

And BTW, Paul's confrontation of Peter was not about salvation by works but about who he was eating with. Paul said that something as simple as who we eat with and the reasons for it are a compromise of the gospel. That's pretty astounding isn't it? And certainly is a lot less than if someone denies unconditional election.

Again, please, I am begging you, read more carefully. And be more fair with my words.

#82 Pastor Larry, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  3. Allan

Allan Active Member

As did I as well :thumbs: And again, it was the Lord who lead me away from Calvinism to the 'truth'.

It is and there's no question about it!
    Calvinism isn't the bible and it isn't the gospel, but it is mans view of what the scripture is saying, period.. Therefore quite able to be errant.

It is no different than any other theological system. Calvinism has much truth in it but it also has error, IMO. Which again is no different than any other 'system' of theology. Not one is perfect. We can disagree on which one is 'more' right, just as those with their own systems of belief think their veiws within their own theological circles are more right than anothers. You even do this Rippon thinking your brand of Calvinism is more accurate than some other Calvinists.

#83 Allan, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  4. Goldie

Goldie New Member

You did? Can you please quote that scripture in it's entirety then - and half verses don't count. Please quote complete verses.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: That is funny.

It is no different than any other theological system.
    [/quote]

Rip: I beg your pardon?Calvinism is light years from other systems.

Calvinism has much truth in it but it also has error, IMO.
    [/quote]

Rip : You're mistaken once more.

6. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good Day, Amy.G

I will give it a try..... Just have to ask a couple of question to understand your POV.

Who or what is Jerusalem?
    Who or what are her children?
    Who or what was to be gathered?
    Who or what was not willing?
    How does gathering euqate to beliving?
    Define free will?
    Who or what to you suppose has ( based on your own definition) free-will and why do you from the text suppose it to be so?

That will be a good start......

In Him,

Bill

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry Bill, I don't mean to be rude, but I asked the question. I would appreciate your interpretation. You should have one regardless of what I think.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can God choose someone who has already rejected Him? If someone dies not in Christ...can God still choose him?

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Another misunderstanding of election. :BangHead:

The chosing does not come after one dies. :BangHead:

Ever heard of this verse?
    "He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world"

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

REad the whole thread before commenting :rolleyes:
    :BangHead:

At any rate...does God have the option of choosing someone after they die? Are you limiting God?

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a matter of limiting God. The Lord has made Himself clear in Holy Writ.He has chosen certain ones before the foundation of the world. In this life only -- the realm of time, He draws them unto Himself. The very idea of God choosing someone after they die smacks of pagan Roman Catholicism.

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

It does don't it?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I never said I believe He can choose someone after they die. Since I'm assuming you believe the same thing, that one facet does limit who God can choose...my whole initial response to PL.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God also cannot lie.Does that "limit Him"?!

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why are you questioning whether or not I believe the Bible? Isn't that the same thing people are offended by?

The answer is yes, I absolutely believe the verse and it affirms everything I believe about free will ... that man freely rejects God. God doesn't force him to reject. God does not save anyone who is not willing.

If you would take the time to understand Calvinism you would understand that that's not really the point. The question is why some are willing while others are not willing. That's the question that has to be dealt with.