1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Scripturally Married?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Just when I thought I'd heard/seen/read it all, I recently came across an article in a paper by some Baptist preacher entitled:

Are You Scripturally Married?

Since the article rambled on, I'll try to give you a summary of it. Please bear with me on this!

He started out by saying that:

1) Marriage is ordained by God. [About the only thing I probably agree with.]

2) Since marriage is ordained by God, it is therefore an ordinance. [Huh?]

3) From NT times onward, God has delegated the authority to administer the ordinances only to His [as he calls it] "true NT Baptist churches." [He never really defined what he meant by "true NT Baptist churches," but I'd suspect he meant only those that believe and practice exactly what he does.]

4) Therefore, only if a couple was married under the approval and authority of a "true NT Baptist church" are they considered to be "scripturally married." [At least as he defines it.]

He failed to elaborate exactly how a couple goes about acquiring this approval. I guess that church votes on it--some thing similar to them voting to receive a new member I suppose.

More importantly, he also failed to cite any Bible passage where this is either commanded or an example of this is mentioned--probably because there aren't any that I know of.

I was just wondering if any of my BB friends have ever heard of any such far-fetched "scripturally married" nonsense as this?

Like I said at the beginning, just when I thought I'd heard/seen/read it all.......... :eek: :eek:

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

yeah the sticky point is "what is a true NT Baptist church." Particularly since Baptists didn't exist until the mid-1600s there are billions of people that just shacked up in his estimation since they were never legitimately married.

Apparently I'm not either. But the state and my wife seem to think so.

This is the kind of guy who probably thinks only baptists will be in Heaven too. ;)

I've heard of this before and dismissed as ad hoc interpretations with no evidence or support in Scripture.

thanks for the post.

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

Scriptural Marriage?

Godly advice was given here

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==No, but then again I'm not married so I will not worry about it :laugh: .

==Does this gentleman that you are quoting believe in "marriage mandate" (ie...God requires people to get married?). If he believes marriage is a "ordinance" I have to wonder who he believes is exempt from that ordinance. I'm not aware of anyone being exempted from ordinances in Scripture. Thus my question....

==Very good observation. That is usually what people mean when they say something like that. Based on his statement I must assume his church does everything just like the church in Acts did, right? I am pretty sure they don't. But that is probably a mute point with someone like that anyway. They believe what they want.

From a purely Biblical (New Testament) perspective a marriage is Biblical as long as the two people are both Christians. If neither person is a Christian, or if only one person is a Christian at the time of the marriage, they are still married. I don't know that the Bible ever claims either group is not really married.

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

It is not only that the author you mention has bought a Landmark view of what constitutes a valid church; it is also that he has borrowed sacramentalism of a sort from the Roman Catholic tradition, just substituting the Baptist term "ordinance" for "sacrament".

And, moreover, there is the assumption that marriages to be Biblical and Christian, must be "performed" in some way by or through a church or pastor. That may be the custom; but you cannot find anywhere in the New Testament a definition of description of a wedding. Marriage is assumed and discussed, but the process of becoming married is not.

I suspect we would do well to imitate the Society of Friends (Quakers), who require no officiating minister, but ask the bride and groom to administer their vows themselves, before the community. If I had pursued that as a pastor, I would have saved myself a lot of heel-cooling during interminable rehearsals and waiting for out-of-town guests to show up!

6. mnw

mnw New Member

For the record, "Baptists" did not come into existance in the 1600's. But that is another topic.

I read this and wondered if the Lord tarries His coming and a few hundred years pass, will they look back upon this century as a time when some extremist Baptists turned cultic and become something akin to the Roman Catholic Church?

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago (around my 20th anniversary) I dug out our wedding certificate and noticed that is was signed by the pastors son, who was studying to be a pastor at the time.
    (...eventually he did become a pastor).

So for me the question isn't "Am I Scripturally married?"
    It's: "Am I even married?"

Rob

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

My bride :love2: would say I'm "Very!" And I don't even know where our "wedding certificate" is. :laugh:

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why doncha' run this by your bride, and see 'zackly how far this lead balloon flies? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Guess I should ask the Pope. Sure hope he approves, otherwise, I have been living in sin for 30 years. Now that will take a lot of hale Marys and ring around the rosary beads.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow! I've heard some crazy things about marriage recently. Michael Pearl (don't know if you've heard of him - he wrote the book To Train Up a Child and his wife wrote Created to be His Helpmeet) doesn't believe in legal marriages - in other words, his children didn't get licenses to get married. You can read more here - and don't neglect to read the note on page 3 at the end of the article:

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=80&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=186&tx_ttnews[backPid]=67&cHash=9b432abbf8

I was married in a Presbyterian church and AM happily married in the sight of God.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Debi Pearl's book Created to be his Helpmeet is one of the best books Ive read on that subject.....BUT, yeah, they've got some views I wouldn't subscribe to.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Most women I know believe in a mandate before they get married.

Most men I know don't feel the same way...they prefer a womandate before marriage.

:thumbs: :laugh:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I SO didn't get that until you finished the thought. LOL!

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

Ed

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

:applause:

17. Christlifter

Christlifter New Member

Nyuknyuknuyk

:laugh:

"How very "'pish-toshy!'"

:type:

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the wife I have had for 38 years I don't care who says we're not Scripturally married.

I'll have her anytime.

19. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

If a Methodist pastor officiates your funeral, are you Scripturally buried?

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Depends on what denomination you are. :laugh: :laugh: