1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Suprised At Tongue-Speaking Among...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 13, 2007.

1. standingfirminChrist

If the tongues of today lined up with the Word of God, I would have no problem with them. As yet, I have not.

Most tongues I have heard during my ministry and travels have been babbling. The same syllables interpreted several different ways.

For instance...

In Greensboro, NC, a church down the road from the one I pastored for 6 years had one member who would supposedly be moved by the Spirit to speak in tongues. He would utter one syllable over and over again sometimes 40, sometimes 50 times. That syllable was simply 'paw'.

After uttering this for a minute or two, the pastor always gave an interpretation that was supposedly from God to man. And everyone would accept it as the Word from God for that hour.

Every service this man spoke in it was always the same 'paw' repeated over and over and then the pastor giving an interpretation. Always a different interpretation.

How do I know this? My mother attended the Church and I occasionally woulld attend with her when my own congregation was not meeting.

As I pointed out, the unknown tongue is supposed to be from man to God, so the interpretation should be from man to God, should it not? If it is in line with God's Word, it will be.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

I know the arguments for the usage of tongues today and the arguments are purely cherry-picking and emotionalistic arguments with NO sound biblical or even potential support for the common view of tongues.

Do I believe the gift of tongues? Yes, without question!

NOW...

Do I believe the tongues practiced today as a 'private' prayer language or angelic utterance is biblical or of God through Jesus Christ? NO, without question!

I believe based on scirpture and personally (through one on one testing of the spirit speaking) that about 98% of the tongues manifested are NOT of God.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=44703
    This is a link to a 'recent' thread of only four pages (the last one has my arguements to common errors). Just so you see my view.

#22 Allan, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In a sense we are all continualists, because we believe God has gifted us all for the ministry.

2. But doesn't 1 Cor 14:2 allow for a type of tongue-speaking in prayer only to God?

3. I consider what the Charismatics call tongues to be nonsensical--Spongebob-like.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. What of tongue-speaking reported by non-Charismatic missionaries? Do you believe those reports?

2. Those I've heard are babbling, IMO. I agree.

3. I'm of the opinion that most tongue-speakers today have been deceived.

5. standingfirminChrist

There is only one chapter in the Bible that gives the guidelines for the 'unknown' tongue. That Chapter is 1 Corinthians 14 and the guidelines are as follows:

!. The unknown tongue is spoken to God and not to man.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

2. The unknown tongue edifies none but the speaker of the tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

3. When one speaks the unknown tongue aloud, none understand it. It is just as if one was talking to hear himself talk.

1 Corinthians 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

4. One who speaks in the unknown tongue is to pray for the understanding of that tongue so that he can interpret it.

1 Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

5. When one prays in the unknown tongue, one does not understand what he is praying.

1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

6. Speaking in a known language is to be desired more than speaking in an unknown tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

7. Not all are to speak in the unknown tongue. There should be no more than two or three instances of the tongue being speaking. Never just one person. And if there is no interpreter, tongues are not to be spoken.

1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

6. standingfirminChrist

I am of the persuasion that the only tongues that are to be spoken to man are to be known languages. The unknown tongue is to God Himself.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Do you believe the reports?

8. standingfirminChrist

I am skeptical somewhat.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Then no genuine tongue-speaking occurs, according to your understanding?

#29 TCGreek, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  10. standingfirminChrist

Tongues as in known languages and dialect, ... yes, I believe there are.

Interpretation, correct interpretation,...yes.

What we see in the majority of Churches claiming to be operating in the gifts of tongues and interpretations,... no, definitely not!

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not speaking for him but from his last post it states he is 'skeptical' not that he doesn't believe that 'no genuine tongue speaking occurs'.

But that is my opinion of his post.

Editted in - :laugh: He beat me to it.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Indeed, and I'm in sync with him on that evaluation. :thumbs: The babbling on TV I totally reject without reservation.

13. standingfirminChrist

I have seen the interpretation gift in action and have experienced it on one occasion myself.

A visiting missionary from Venezuela was at my sister's Church in Greensboro, NC.

He had an interpreter with him, but as he spoke, i was speaking softly in English the words he was speaking in his native tongue...even before the interpreter could translate for him! I have witnesses who will attest to this event.

The amazing thing is that I do not know a single word in the Venezuelan tongue.

That had to be God. And I believe it was for a wtness to those around me who may have been doubtful of God's awesome power in the life of a Believer.

To this day, I have not experienced another event such as this, so I do not believe I have the gift of interpretation of tongues.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

deleted by me

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

SFIC,

To be honest, I never thought I'd hear this testimony from you---but God can do wonders even among Fundamentals. :laugh:

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My understanding of scripture is this example, with interpreter, would be for the edifying of the saints. The speaking of tongues is to God when there is no interpreter.

1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Do not take my post in the wrong light. I have heard people speaking in tongues but was never edified that I know of. I also never saw an interpreter. I am just supporting truth in scripture.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now this event aligns with pentacost which is different from tongues I've heard spoken which is more like jibberish. I have several preacher friends who are pentacostal and believe tongue speaking is a sign of ones salvation.

18. standingfirminChrist

1 Corinthians 14:2 says when a man speaks in an unknown tongue, he speaks not unto man, but unto God. I believe any time an unknown tongue is spoken, it is to God... whether he interprets or not.

It doesn't say sometimes when a man speaks in an unknown tongue, but when he speaks in an unknown tongue. I have to believe it is any time he speaks in an unknown tongue.

We also have to take into account the fact that the unknown tongue was a sign, not for the believer, but for the unbeliever.

When one goes to any Church where all claim to be saved and tongues are spoken, either one is truly not a believer as one claims, or the tongues were not to be spoken and the speaker is acting contrary to God's Word.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Instead of reading one verse SFIC, keep reading the entire passage. Paul clearly says in v5 "except he interpret". I am not the one making the exception and I don't believe this is left to our feelings or opinions, the Word is the Word.

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
    3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
    4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Take your example, a guy spoke in an unknown tongue and you interpreted without knowing his language. That in itself edifies the saints through assurance and signs that God is real and at work in the world today. The Holy Spirit was in that meeting. Then add to that the message contained in his words, need I really say more? You ARE the witness.

20. standingfirminChrist

The context is not saying one is talking to God unless he interpret, LeBuick. Verse 5 says that the one who preaches is greater than the one speaking in tongues... unless that one interprets. For when he interprets, the whole body is edified.

Why is the whole body edified? Because they see how another is praising God through the tongue and interpretation thereof.

Verse 5 is not saying that one speaking in the unknown tongue is not speaking to God.