1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arkansas fires BB head coach Stan Heath

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by StefanM, Mar 26, 2007.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

ARK has a full cupboard. What about the talk regarding Gillespie to KY?

ARK would be an interesting job for someone. Maybe this is Greg Marshall's chance to get into the SEC?

3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The team is slated to return all starters. That's very good for a 21-14 BB team. I think that the right coach might have changed a good number of those losses to wins by eliminating some of the inconsistencies. If the right man is at the helm next year, Arkansas will have a good chance to win the SEC west and to enter the NCAA tournament as a 6 seed or better. Florida is probably going to lose most of their players, so the main SEC threat will be diminished. I'm optimistic.

1) About BG...KY is a threat, but it seems that some sources (and I know this is hearsay) are saying that BG is interested in the Arkansas job. I'm not sure what might happen, but I'm hopeful.

2) I don't think the UofA is going to go with another mid-major coach. They REALLY need to get a big hire to revitalize the program. Attendance has gone down significantly during the Heath era, and Arkansas is used to selling out Bud Walton Arena. I'm not sure a mid-major coach would energize the fan base enough. I know I wouldn't be as excited.

Even so, the Arkansas athletic department has shown in recent history the uncanny ability to bungle just about anything they touch...

#3 StefanM, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

The way I read it at first:

[​IMG] Arkansas fires BB head coach Stan Heath

I didn't know the Baptist Board had a head coach. How does Arkansas get to fire him.

And now I return the thread to the true sports fans.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arkansas has connections with AndrewT.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, who is our head coach anyway?

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Who else than EdSutton? :laugh:

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Supposedly Ark will announce Billy Clyde as head coach today - I hope NOT - we love him at A&M. I think he views the Ark job as higher profile, but he had a great team this year, A&M is expanding is facilities and he has a great recruiting class coming in - one of the top 7 footers in the nation.

I can only hope that A&M sufficiently money whips him enough to stay and that he builds A&M into a BB school for years to come.

I will say, the folks down in college station are smart folks - I'm sure they have a contingency plan, we may have to see what it is.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I heard a rumor that ARK wanted Bruce Pearl. No way Pearl is leaving the odds-on favorite to win the SEC next year, given only one player will not be back.

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

A&M is reporting that they have signed Billy Clyde through 2012 at 2 mill per year - of course that means that we have him for next year for 2 mill, after that all bets are off. No confirmation from BCG yet.

Ark will have to go grab another coach. I would have not liked it if Billy clyde would have gone to KY, but to leave the wonderful confines of Aggie Land for Arkansas would have really made me mad!

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Arkansas is going to get stuck with some "up-and-comer" again, which will probably ensure 5 more years of mediocrity.

Unfortunately for the Razorbacks, there is fear of some major players at UA transferring.

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since BG is out of the picture, I'd like to see Arkansas hire USC's Tim Floyd.

13. His Blood Spoke My Name

Isn't the BB head coach our webmaster Andrew? Why would Arkansas have any authority over the Baptist Board?:wavey:

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Why???????

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Floyd and Kruger are going to be candidates who are bandied about quite a bit. Is ARK a step up for Floyd? Would Kruger leave the Mountain West to have to play UK, FLA, TENN, etc. every year?

I would think Stefan is right. ARK is probably going to get a mid-major whose stock is rising. If only Tubby had waited a few days, he could've had this job. Or Steve Alford.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I think he's the best shot to avoid hiring a mid-major coach.