1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arminian Grace

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, May 25, 2011.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The same reason you need a name for anything.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you keep saying that doesn't make it so.

I could call my neighbor a thief and a liar. I could call him that all day long. I could print it in the paper, have billboards put up, and even call the police.

But my inane repetition doesn't make it so. I have to PROVE it. And, if my neighbor does not respond to me, his silence doesn't make my accusations true either.

Go back to my last post. I gave you what you wanted. You won't accept it nor believe me, but there is it in black and white (well, blue and blue).

That's my last crumb that I am throwing you. You aren't looking for a meeting of the minds, but only a fight. And you will only get one if people who aren't Calvinists actually believe what you say in your OP. And they don't. You don't want to hear people say what they believe if it doesn't line up with your pre-conceived opinion of them. There's no fight in that.

Read my edited post. Tear it to shreds or whatever melts your butter. C'est la vie.

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, I hadn't responded yet because I figured you had read the link where you posted the poem from. They did an ample job critiquing that ridiculous caricature of a song.

Here is what the link in the original OP goes on to say for those who didn't see it, its got footnotes and everything. What else needs to be said?

#23 Skandelon, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So you perpetuate your avoidance.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Those are fair questions. The gospel is simple, a child can understand, but perhaps some do have difficulty. I believe God will show grace to these persons if they have a desire to understand. An example is the apostles themselves, often they did not understand Jesus's parables any better than the scribes and Pharisees. The difference is they had a desire to understand and asked Jesus to explain them. This is how grace works, if you respond to it, more will be given, but to those who are indifferent, even that which was given shall be taken away.

This is what the parable of the talents shows. If you will receive what Jesus gives you and put it to use, more will be given. If you do not, your coin (talent) shall be taken away.

As for the handicapped, I know of mentally retarded people who are believers and understand the gospel well. The severely retarded would not be accountable.

For those that ignore the gospel, that is altogether different, they do so at their own peril.

#25 Winman, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Really and what makes you think that?

My snake doesn't have a name and he lives happily enough. He has a title that describes his biological standing as a creature, but he doesn't have a name. And he lives quite happily in my downstairs hall, all without a name. Apparently, naming a snake takes something away from its prestige as an unusual pet. (the boy children came up with that one)

So if you'd like a title you are welcome to call what I believe, "Cindi's Beliefs". Now they have a title. Hate that its not descriptive enough to illustrate each individual theological point I hold to, but that's the breaks. Just as the word snake only gives you a bare description of the creature that lives in my hall, you'll have to deal with the idea that "Cindi's Beliefs" only describe those points which I myself believe. I don't believe that anyone else must hold to "Cindi's Beliefs" but they work for me and you'll get used to the frustration. :)

Now, answer the questions: Why do you believe that people must ascribe to a historic theological viewpoint which is described by using the man's name who came up with them in the first place? Is it not enough to simply believe what the Bible says? Are you attempting to be my "high priest" by telling me what I must or must not believe and how I should title those beliefs?

I gotta go to church!

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You don't even have a TITLE for what you believe.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order to define it, provide some characteristics & definition......so it doesnt continue to mutate!

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Non-Cals believe in the Doctrine of Grace, the Doctrine of Mercy and the Doctrine of Salvation. You can pick which title or combine all three into one title.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh.....Those are my beliefs & I'm considered Calvinistic? What am I missing?:smilewinkgrin:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I only saw his post because you quoted it, but the reason I didn't respond is...

This message is hidden because Luke2427 is on your ignore list.

:D

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Then she falls into great company as there was not no 'names' for one theology for nearly 1500's in church history. It is a 'new' vise, a new fad, a new band wagon to jump on.

You go Girl!!
    Hold fast to what has been and still true. Some like names, others understand that names give no real worth to theology except to aid in knowing what another 'potentially' holds to and nothing more.

13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I don't have a title for what I believe? I gave you one: "Cindi's Beliefs". That covers everything I believe about scripture.

But here's another question for the list I've already asked:

Which scripture passage teaches that I MUST have a title for all the doctrines/beliefs I hold to or says I must hold to a systematic theology?

Thank you Allan, I plan to!

14. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Couldn't be that responding to such a stupid post is a complete waste of time?

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Oh such true and insightful words. Thanks for the post.

16. quantumfaith

Your lack of decorum and manners never cease to amaze me.

17. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well, give Luke some credit, the link he provided in the OP completely debunked the very song he quoted. I like this part the best:

"The rest of the re-worked masterpiece is just rubbish. It is no more true of Arminianism than it is of Calvinism. But once again we have yet another example of a Calvinist's caricature of Arminianism, exhibiting his confusion of Arminianism with Pelagianism because he is either too ignorant (in the classical sense of the word) or too lazy to investigate the matter any further."

18. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::smilewinkgrin:

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's because everybody was catholic Allen.

There was ONE theology.

When the Church desperately needed reformation and other movements were born it became NECESSARY to label what you believe.

Your post is silly to the highest degree. OF COURSE there were no labels when there was just ONE CHURCH.

Do you call yourself a BAPTIST? Or do you consider that to be a pointless fad that has popped up in the last few hundred years too?

Do you think that ALL denominations should abandon this "fad"?