1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Article on Church Discipline

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Rhetorician, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello to all:

I ran across a very good article on "Church Discipline" at the SBC Voices blog. There they talk about "all things Southern Baptist." But I did see one of our heard had stopped by to have his say. (I hope some here will not hold that again him--or me?)

The article was written by one of our long-term missionaries who has also taught missions at Mid American Baptist Theological Seminary and other SBC institutions. Dr. John Mark Terry has impeccable credentials as a theologian and one who has practiced missions theology. I think you will enjoy the article and it is published for your exhortation and encouragement.

Resurgence in Church Discipline (Mark Terry)

The above article references another one form 9 Marks Ministry. I have posted it also for your viewing pleasure.

“Don’t do it!!” Why You Shouldn’t Practice Church Discipline

Get back to me with insights either good or bad...

rd

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was a good article, but disagree with Mark's take on Matthew 18:15, beginning with "one church leader goes alone." This can throw the pastor/church leader into being a busybody going about to "fix" everyone's sins.

A better interpretation of Matthew 18:15-17 is as a method of resolving personal/private offenses. It starts with one of two people in a personal conflict going to the other person to resolve it. If it is resolved at that point, no one else -- including church leadership -- should ever be involved.

R. N. Davis wrote, based on Matthew 18:15 and Matthew 5:23-24, "IF brethren would do as the Lord says, the one doing the wrong and the one wronged would meet in the way, each going to the other for reconciliation." I like that!

For now, I still hold to the way I was taught in church over 40 years ago, that there are 3 classes of Church Discipline: 1. Private offenses, 2. Public offenses, and 3. Doctrinal offenses (which I sometimes refer to as "church fellowship offenses").