1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured As an American and a Believer....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that it wasfounded by those who advocated Christian ideals and principles, wantedto have us governed by them, even if not Christians!

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's not a Christian principle to call the President of the United States names.:thumbs:

Whether or not this is a Christian nation saves no one. Men and women of God, don't lose focus.:1_grouphug:

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:thumbs::applause: This is again why I say for Christians to stay focused. If part of the country wants to believe this is not a Christian nation while part believes it is, so what?

Preach the GOSPEL and point people to Christ instead of getting bogged down on side issues.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we are not allowed to voice our displeasure of him for advocating most anti christian administartion regarding policies of any US president then?

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? I don't come to the conclusion this is a Christian nation.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Policy disagreement is not the same as name calling.

I have done my share of name calling, finally came to the conclusion that it is poor reflection of me. Trying to be and do better.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians called to do BOTH preach/live/teach jesus, but also to influence and bring chrsitian values/standards into society/culture, to be the preserving salt and light!

Christianity has been used by god to save sinners, AND to grant freedom from slavery, and to make society better, so need to keep that going!

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not entirely. I would say the biggest concern was freedom to govern themselves. It was inevitable that they would rely on their Christian upbringing, wouldn't expect anything different. But they also understood that there had to be room for dissent, that not everyone thought exactly like them.

No doubt they would be surprised by some of the "advances" we have made, but I don't think they would surprised it doesn't look exactly like they left it. They did include the amendment process after all.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

So you didn't write this?
    I note, I didn't say you came to that conclusion. I said you claimed the writer came to that conclusion. Obviously he didn't.

And yet once again, It's FORBES!!

#69 thisnumbersdisconnected, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that if you say aything bad about policy/agenda, labeled "hate black people, wish you had a white Pres!"

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rethink that one. Do you honestly believe that the "vast majority" of Americans are under the guiding principles of the Christianity of the Bible?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear,hear!

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WE have pushed God, prayer, and the real American history out of schools no wonder we are slaughtering unborn children. We need to get back to our roots.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't answer for TND, but in another thread kyredneck claims there are 65 million dispy evangelical Zionists. That's a great start, don't cha think?

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do think the population of America is now --about 315 million? Let's say 100 million are over 18. I haven't checked yet. The "vast majority" would have to be in the vicinity of 90 million or so. In my estimation we barely have a simple majority of 51 million.

There are more Christians in China than America. But they wouldn't constitute a majority here in any sense of the word.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm still on this theme of what constitutes a "vast majority" of Americans being Christian. I looked at Wikipedia. There are more than 317 million Americans. About 236 million are over 20 years of age. Various surveys over the years yield different results when asked if citizens go to church regularly (Protestant churches). But let's be optimistic. If half go to church regularly, that would be 118 million people. Does anyone think that the "vast majority" of them --about 100 million, are actually Christians? When direct questions are asked regarding the Incarnation,Resurrection,Deity of Christ, reality of Heaven and Hell etc. --The numbers drop considerably. No,emphatically no. Most Americans are certainly not Christian. That is,unless one would want to employ a very elastic meaning to the word which differs from biblical doctrine.

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're over analyzing this. TND did not say the vast majority of Americans are Christians, he said they are living under Christian principles of governance. The Constitution and most laws have a basis in the 10 commandments or the Golden Rule. That's all he was saying.

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't disagree...

....in fact I as much said what you said ... it is sick what politicians, corrupt business, and liberal citizens have turned this nation into!

We've stood by while prayer was removed from schools. We've applauded the right for people to have and se freedom of speech only to turn that around and sue us for having a cross on the city hall. We've become believers and supporters of the need to tolerate anyone and anything, and being politically correct is of utmost importance.

Sure, a nation can't be Christian any more than a building can be a church, or a denomination can be Christ like! Christianity is a relationship, and only humans; individuals can gain that kind of recognition with God. God does not necessarily anoint a nation, but rather the people that make up or compose the whole of the nation!

So in that respect, America could have once been, as a whole, a Christian nation. Even so, like you said, it is not even close to being in the ball park of anything Christ like in the last hundred years, and it continues to deteriorate at a scar, rapid pace!

We are at least on course to being in the same shape Rome found itself in, and a major fall is inevitable!

So did you offend me, NO. You are merely speaking the truth, like I did at the onset of my OP!

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Forbes not Fortune, my mistake

He said in the last paragraph that it wasn't.

"America wasn’t founded as a Christian nation and many of our beloved Forefathers sadly were not, yet America was largely comprised of Believers. Liberty allows us to worship freely or not at all per conscience. America was never meant to be theocratic or homogenous religiously, but Christianity has always been indelible to our social fabric.

I guess I'm missing your point

20. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I left you with the impression that the article was advocating for America was founded as a Christian nation, I apologize for my failure to communicate my point. I agree with you that the article was fairly well balanced.