1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

As we debate issues........

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Grasshopper, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

We do not start our Christian lives by working out our faith for ourselves; it is mediated to us by Christian tradition, in the form of sermons, books and established patterns of church life and fellowship. We read our Bibles in the light of what we have learned from these sources; we approach Scripture with minds already formed by the mass of accepted opinions and viewpoints with which we have come into contact, in both the Church and the world. . . . It is easy to be unaware that it has happened; it is hard even to begin to realize how profoundly tradition in this sense has moulded us. But we are forbidden to become enslaved to human tradition, either secular or Christian, whether it be "catholic" tradition, or "critical" tradition, or "ecumenical" tradition. We may never assume the complete rightness of our own established ways of thought and practice and excuse ourselves the duty of testing and reforming them by Scriptures. (J. I. Packer, "Fundamentalism" and the Word of God [Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1958], pp. 69-70.)

2. Tim

Tim New Member

So true!

Perhaps those of us raised in one tradition who forsook it after personal study of the Scripture can appreciate that statement the most.

In Christ,

Tim

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes and no. If I did not feel that what I believed was "right", I would become spiritually schitzophrenic. At the same time, testing these continually on the basis of the Word and a proper hermeneutic is likewise mandatory.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

4. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

We can believe that what we hold is right, but also acknowledge it as tentatively right and able to be corrected or reinforced by further insights. This seems to be paramount especially when we speak of the subject of theology--the ineffable God.

Good quote!

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]