1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ash Wednesday

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You too will get your Bone-day, for sure, Whether you'll get to smoke, I won't be able to say. But I can think anyway.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I think we are talking of very different things.

I cannot be "mis-informed" though because I get my "information" directly from 16 plus literal 'examples' in the Hebrew Old Testament—not of ‘Ash Wednesday’, but of “this selfsame BONE-day” : with reference to Jesus Christ in the New Testament and nobody and nothing else.

#62 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am referring to the Author Dan Brown who wrote a best selling Novel a few years ago called the DaVinci Code. People who know very little history bought into his fiction as a fact thus believing that Jesus was married to Mary Magedeline and had a history of decendents to this very day which the Catholic Church tride to cover up and that the gnostics were the more authentic Christianity. My referrencing your post to him signifies that you've applied fictional supposition and stated it as factual history when you said.
    When in fact it does not.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So, what do you think of Christ's "Bone-day"?

Do you think it is a Scriptural concept?

Do you think the name or description of "Bone-day" exists in the Scriptures?

And if it does exist, that it is of any significance as prophetic word about Jesus Christ?

Then, ask and answer yourself the same questions with regard to 'Ash Wednesday'!

Then account for having decided that I "applied fictional supposition" with regard to 'Ash Wednesday', or, to Christ’s “Bone-day”.

At least I know on whose side the Reformers would have been if they were confronted with the same questions and decision.

#64 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To what specifically are you referring? I think I placed a good summery of how Ash Wednesday came about. Note it doesn't refer to a "Bone-day". If you are applying your own term to a specific period in the life of Christ please make the referrence then. The applicability of term you may find is in appropriate.

Since I'm not certain what it is you are specifically referring to I can't comment. However, I think being penitent and being cognizant of your mortality is scriptural which is part of Ash Wednesday. Ps 39:4 & Ps 40:12

Depends on what correlations you are trying to draw with which verses.

Again it depends on what correlations you are trying to draw with which verses. Context rather than supposition applies.

I've considered Ash Wednesday in light of scripture. I don't have an issue with it.

Are you certain? However, faced with the Majority of Europe being Catholic and their desire to seperate from the Catholic Church I'm sure they would have used any propaganda means they had to color certain Catholic practices. However, I find it interesting to note that many Lutherans today celebrate Ash Wednesday.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

"Bone-day" is translated in the KJV with "Selfsame day". I have never seen any living person who distinguished "selfsame day" from "this day" or "that day" in the KJV. Everybody thinks the same thing is signified.

Well, there is a world's difference.

The word "bone" ['etsem'] in immediate relation to the word "day" ['yom'], occurs at least 17 times out of the 70 or so [I can't remember exactly now] incidences of the word "bone", 'etsem'.

Of those 17 instances of indivisible combination of the two words, all occur in contexts of God's decisive and epoch-making acts of Redemption.

Twice in Genesis in covenanting with Noah and Abraham;

Twice in connection with the great day of atonement in Leviticus;

and at least 12 times specifically in connection with and precisely as and for having been "this Selfsame-BONE-DAY", of the passover the fifteenth day of the First Month, BEGINNING IN ITS NIGHT AND FINISHING IN ITS DAYLIGHT, the DAY of the INTERMENT and return to DUST of the EARTH of "that which remained" of the passover--its "sacrifice" and "lamb".

OF WHICH JESUS CHRIST'S INTERMENT WAS THE ANTI-TYPE.
    Of which Jesus Christ’s PREPARATION FOR BURIAL AND BURIAL, were “this that FIRST NIGHT” and, “THAT DAY The Preparation” that Joseph had begun to undertake “to bury the body of Jesus” and finished “while the Sabbath drew near”.

The fifteenth day of the First Month, “was THAT DAY great-day-sabbath”—of the Passover of Yahweh Our Passover and Lamb of God.

This day – night and day – was “That Day Bone-Day” of Prophecy and Promise and Psalms DESTROYED, “the first day ye shall eat unleavened bread” and SECOND DAY OF “THREE DAYS” of “three days and three nights” of Jesus Christ’s Last Passover.

Now “this that Selfsame-BONE-day” having been “The Preparation which is The Fore-Sabbath” ALL DAY, night and day which we, call ‘Friday’ or ‘Good Friday’, Christ was in fact crucified and died the day before – on ‘Thursday’ – and was in fact raised from the dead the day after – “ON THE SABBATH late, mid-afternoon towards the First Day of the week”. Matthew 28:1.

… NOT on Sunday!

So, destroy Jesus’ BONE-day, and move his crucifixion and death onto it; and move his Resurrection one day on, onto Sunday … AND PLACE THE ONLY REASON “keeping of the Sabbath remains for the People of God” squarely onto Sunday.

#66 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And this relates to 'Ash Weds.' in what way?