1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ashamed of being a Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subject at hand is about Baptist being on the church name and how that effects outreach.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the metro detroit area it does affect outreach, as many here, especially cathic churches, see us as "stealing from them!"

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

shouldn't we steal from them? I view lost people as lost people regardless if they are in a false religion or not.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the perception is bad change the perception not the name. Of course people would have to get off the pew to do that. Of course that is all an excuse not a legitimate complaint. When you start buying into false complaints then you end up making unwise and wrongheaded decisions.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    since I view the RCC as NOT being a real Christian church, we are just doing the great Commission among them!

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

But what if you truly no longer consider your identity as a baptist...even if your church still agrees with what has historically been called "baptist."

Another example: Perhaps some church, in the early 1900's adopted the moniker "Fundamental Baptist" to distinguish themselves from the very liberal trajectory of some churches. At that time, Fundamentalism refered to holding to the basic fundamentals of the faith...HOWEVER, they now see that the word Fundamental, as it is used these days, does not describe them, since they are not, and never were KJVO, anti-playing cards, or skirts-only-on-women. Their Beliefs have not changed...but see that the understanding of the word they originally used has changed, and so truly no longer consider themselves to be "Fundamentalist." No deception there.

Could not the same thing happen with the word "Baptist"?

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is there an estimate on how many times this topic has been discussed?

I am not ashamed of being a Baptist, but it seems my first loyalty would be to "Christian" or "Bible believer" or "Jesus is Lord" before putting "Baptist" on it. There are lots of churches who have Baptist on the sign but don't believe the Bible to be God's Word.

Was Spurgeon ashamed of being a Baptist becuase he pastored New Park Street Chapel and Metropolitan Tabernacle?

Maybe some of the church historians around here would know, but when did "baptist" first start appearing in church names?

I have never pastored any church that doesn't have Baptist in her name, but this seems much ado about nothing.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Our area on metro detroit, that label brings bad thoughts to others such as catholics/Muslims, as we have large numbers of each!

Also, not even we baptists can agree on what the term means as to beliefs/practices among ourselves!

Finally, it might depend on IF raised as a baptist or not, as MANY saved in our church never attended one before, so ther is not a real strong identification with baptist, but more so the Christian church!

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The best info that I can find suggests around 1640 as the first time Baptist churches were referred to as Baptists- by their detractors. The Baptists did not even like the name at the time.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Let's narrow the focus of this thread a bit.

A local assembly is formed with the word Baptist in their name. Then, after x period of time, the church drops the word Baptist from their name.

Why?

IMO, it isn't much ado about nothing, if a local assembly, drops "Baptist" in order to conform to the world in some measure. If I understand correctly, the purpose of a church is to serve the needs of those already in the body of Christ. Then, those members go out to proclaim the gospel.

If that is true, why should a church act like a movie theater or sports arena -- ie make itself a lure to bring in crowds? If the crowds don't like the "entertainment, then, the individuals in the crowds won't come back.

There's a drive-in theater in a nearby town. All the others that I know about have either been torn down or converted to other uses, such as flea markets when drive-in's lost their appeal to John Q Public. Back in the 60's, going to a drive-in was the "thing to do" on a Friday/Saturday night, here in the south.

The remaining drive-in survived by switching from family rated entertainment to triple XXX rated movies. The sign out front was changed to reflect what was going on inside.

I know that's an extreme example, and I don't in any way mean to imply worship of our Lord is being compared directly to x rated movies. It is being used to reflect changing what's on the sign in front of a church is important.

If Baptists (whatever the flavor) stop proclaiming their faith, then aren't they, indeed conforming to the world in some manner? I am a Baptist. This is what I stand for. I am not a Catholic, Morman, Jehovah's Witness, Methodist, Congregational Christian, Church of God, Muslim, Hindu, or any other "religious" belief system.

Over the centuries, Baptists have been persecuted by "Christians" and non-Christians, alike. That's happened here in this country, even though it was founded on freedom of religion.

Outline of Baptist Persecution in Colonial America
    http://www.brucegourley.com/baptists/persecutionoutline.htm

Protestant Persecution of Baptists in Early America
    A Historical Account of the Brutal Punishment Inflicted Upon Elder Obadiah Holmes and Other Baptist Brethren
    http://www.reformedreader.org/history/bp.htm

Lengthy article on Baptist persecution in England and the US.
    Yesterday, men upholding the banner of BAPTIST suffered much.

Today, men are hiding the banner of BAPTIST because others might not like it.

"but this seems much ado about nothing"

Are you sure?

11. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!
    :thumbs:

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It is hardly a fair statement to say that is a church changes their name from 'Calvary Baptist' to 'Calvary Bible' they stop proclaiming their faith.

'Baptist' is a man created made up name - there is hardly anything special in a name if the belief and practice doesn't change.

The be fair here, and if it is a big deal, Baptist churches who have never used 'Baptist' in their names should be honest and add 'Baptist' to their names.

Either way, since there is nothing Biblical about it, it is 'much ado...'

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

We will differ on this part. I have no problem if the church didn't have the name Baptist to start with and it is a Baptist church. When I would be passing through a town, I tried to find a Baptist church to go to, because it should be somewhat that I'm accustom of being in. About 85 to 90 percent of the time it worked out. When I went to churches with non Baptist name, I found it was only about 45 to 50 percent of the time it was what I was accustom in doctrine and practice.

On Baptist churches dropping the Baptist as part of their name, it would depend on why. I've been to about 10 meeting pushing to drop the name Baptist for one reason or another. Most I didn't agree with, but as they say, I wanted to learn about it.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aren't we Christians first and foremost, who attend a Baptist church as we agree that they represent the teachings of the Bible the closest?

At times, this discussion starts sounding as if we view ourselves as the catholics do themselves, as being "only true church!"

15. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems a funny response from someone who is a moderator of a BAPTIST forum. :confused:

16. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I've never seen a Baptist church without the name "Baptist" yet.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am as Baptist as anyone. Have always been in Baptist churches. Planted a Baptist church. All in both name and doctrine.

Just don't see why a man-made label is such a big deal.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I know several, many in fact.

Do you think Spurgeon's church was a Baptist church?

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then you haven't seen my church. Nor many of the churches in our community. We are good friends with two other churches (like personal, close friends) who are the same - Baptist without the name.

20. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but to me, if you don't have "Baptist" as part of your name, then you aren't a Baptist church. You may be a church that believes like a Baptist church, (I've been in quite a few of those), but why would you not call yourself Baptist if that's what you are? If I come into your city, I'll look for a BAPTIST church. I'll start by looking up BAPTIST churches in the phone book. If you don't have that as part of your name, then I have no clue as to your doctrines. Very confusing. I know what Methodists, Presbyterians, Assemblies of God, Catholics, etc. believe by the name on their sign. I wouldn't have any idea what your church believes by the name on your door. Therefore, rather than waste my time attending your church, I'd simply find a Baptist church to attend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.