1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Assistance on future school to go to for DMin

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by hmprimrose, Apr 9, 2018.

?
  1. Luther Rice

2. Global

3. Palmer

4. UNISA

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hmprimrose

hmprimrose New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi All,

I just finished my MDiv and my MTS and looking at DMin programs and one Ph.D.

The schools I am contemplating are:
    Luther Rice-ABHE and TRACS (DMin)
    Global University-Regional (DMin)
    Palmer Seminary-Regional and ATS (DMin)
    University of South Africa-unaccredited in the USA but ranked as one of the top 1,000 universities in the world (Ph.D.)

Links to the websites that I used to see South Africa's ranking
    US NEWS RANK
    Times Higher Education Rank

Which should I go to assuming I get accepted to more than one?

I chose these because all allow me to do my degree either 100% online or darned close to it. Luther Rice is cheap/Baptist, Palmer is Regional and ATS accredited/baptist, Global is RA and REALLY cheap, and South Africa is so cheap that the entire degree would only cost around $2,500.00 and, again, they are internationally ranked.

I would like to maybe also teach at the college level as an adjunct, I don't know if that would sway you one way or the other as to which degree to pursue or what accreditation to think about.

Seeking counsel here, hope you can help.
    God bless.

2. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uni S.A. is a hard ride my friend. I know people years and years into with no end in sight.

What are you goals? Do you want to teach? You in a pulpit?

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your goal is to use this "doctorate" to teach, then why even bother with a DMin as its purpose is not research but ministry? I am not a fan of the DMin since most guys get it so they can have "dr." in front of their name. I've only met a few DMins worthy of "doctor" such and such. In short, why else would you be considering anything but a Ph.D.?

Next, I found (from personal experience too) that most Americans have no idea what they are getting into when they look at European format Ph.D.'s. It may sound attractive since there is no course work, but what you would have been learning in the classroom should be substituted by research ALREADY done before you apply for a Ph.D. at a place like UNISA. How's your German and French? That's supposed to be done first. You have your dissertation picked out and begun research it? You know who you want to study under and why? Have you begun a formal thesis proposal? If you go that route b/c it is easier, you have no idea. And there are other very reputable schools in South Africa you might check out. Pretoria or Stellenbosch come to mind. But you better know what you are doing, otherwise you give the rest of us Americans an ignorant reputation. I've done my unfair share, I'm sad to say.

All in all, I don't think you've thought this out. Further, for us to give you a real answer, we'd have to know where you've come from (degrees and schools) as well as your current life situation. How old are you? Do you have a wife and kids? Are they supportive? If no, you will fail. Do you watch TV? Are you willing to give that up in order to read the massive amount required at this level, if indeed you want something worth the diploma you hope to earn? Have you published anything or done a masters thesis to see if you have the academic chops to hang at this level? And the list keeps going.

Cost and denominational affiliation should be some of the last issues you ask. And you have them up top. Not a good start, my friend.

4. hmprimrose

hmprimrose New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi you guys.

I'll start with Christhesaved: My goal is to continue to be a pulpit pastor but I would like to be able to teach as well. My church is very small so it's not like I have a ton of obligations there. I currently have a full-time job with the government as well as my pastorate. I would like to teach practical theology or homiletics. And then if my church grows and demands more of my time then I am willing and eager to leave teaching to focus all my energies to the pulpit. I have only recent surrendered to my call to be in the ministry. I didn't want to do that so that is why, as you'll see below, my theological degrees are the ones that are the most recent.

GreekTim: The biggest reason I am considering a DMin is that it focuses (I think) on the more practical aspects of theology and of church life.

My German and French is limited but enough that I think I could pass the language test for the Ph.D. in Theology at Liberty.

I have picked out a topic and yes I have started to research it. I actually have a professor at Stellenbosch I have been working with who has been helping me with my dissertation topic so that I am prepared when I do decide where I want to go. He has strongly encouraged me to apply to SU but it is not done via distance and I cannot spend an entire semester in Z.A. to complete this degree. UNISA does not require any time on site so that is why it was appealing to me.

Educational background is chronological and earned as follows:
    Bachelors degree-(Communication)-Hardin-Simmons University
    Master of Public Administration-(General Admin)-National University
    Doctor of Philosophy-(Law and Public Policy)-Walden University
    Master of Divinity-(Divinity)-Iliff School of Theology
    Master of Theological Studies-(General)-NationsUniversity

I am married and have 100% support no matter what I choose and no kids. I am 33. I definitely feel that if I am to teach, it would be theologically based, not politically based which my previous degrees would allow me to do.

Hopefully, this helps.

Thanks, guys.
    Haydn

5. ChrisTheSaved

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait, you have a Phd?

6. ChrisTheSaved

Faith:
    Baptist